GF2 GTS vs GF3 Ti200

Clayberry

Newcomer
I got a PIII 700 256MB ram and GF2 GTS 32MB DDR and would like to know if it is worth it to get a GF3 Ti200 I play lots of FPSers and Sports games. Will I see any improvment with a GF3 Ti200. And I will not be upgrading my CPU till mid to late summer(AMD XP 2xxx+)

GF3 Ti200 will be specially good for next generation FPSers like Unreal 2 and Doom3, probably twice as fast as the GF2 GTS ;)

Today it will make FPSers smoother at 1024x768x32.

To answer the question, yes a Ti200 will give a big difference in performance over a GTS on a P3-700. I upgraded from a GTS to a Geforce3 Ti500 and couldn't be happier 6 months ago. Of course , I'm no longer on the P3-866 :smile:

It may not be a major FPS boost at lower resolutions, but you'll be able to play with better FPS at higher resolutions/higher detail than on your GF2.

Yes. Considering the Visiontek Ti200 is ~$155 - 50 MIR (mail in rebate) until Feb. 28th, now's an ideal time to upgrade. The rule is only to upgrade when you need to, but this is an excellent deal, and you can cheat a bit and buy early--you won't find this price/perf for a while.

It depends on the type of "speed" increase you are hoping to achieve.

If you are playing fairly recent titles at 1024x768 or lower with no AA, you'll likely see little improvement and possibly even some decrease in performance. I know I've noted quite a few Direct3D titles that play slower on my P3-800EB with the GF3 versus the trusty Ultra. It has a lot to do with hardwired T&L D3D games and driver efficiency. The GF3 drivers are substantially more CPU hungry in this respect. When you upgrade later in the summer, this will be a moot point though.

If you are talking higher resolution (1280x1024 and up) and/or adding HRAA, you'll see an improvement, except for maybe flight sims and the like.

If you are planning on plunking down cash for an upgrade, you may want to just simply move forward the system upgrade sooner then pick up a better matched videocard after that time. The majority of newer games are very taxing on the whole system and there isn't a single-bullet theory videocard that will help in these conditions on a low end P3. The advantage here is there will be more/better videocards to choose from at that point, and even if you stay with your original choice, the price reduction will be uncanny.

Cheers,
-Shark

Back