Wii U hardware discussion and investigation *rename

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only hypothetically. What I do know is there are "Nintendo-patented" features. What they could be exactly is open to interpretation right now. Fixed functions was only one of many possibilities.

What if those functions or features are for data transfer between console and controller?

Sorry if it sound dumb :oops:

What if those functions or features are for data transfer between console and controller?

That's not dumb at all and if you searched the USPTO you would be able to see those patents so that's probably not the patents bgassassin is referring to.

It will be interesting to see if a former console manufacturer makes a fuss about similar patents and goes after Nintendo for infringement.

Can someone please explain to me the huge difference between DirectX 10 vs 11. Seems to me that the biggest risk is not entirely power related but more feature related with regards to the tesselator... but without a tesselator you can make the same graphic with less detail... no? I mean seems like on the overall the GPU will be in the neighborhood of 700 Gflops with 2GB of RAM and the others will be at 1500-2000 Gflops running at double the resolution by default... seems so much better than last gen. Unless of course it's purely a problem with CPU which could affect gameplay or memory bandwidth which could make the GPU seem worse off than it is.

Yes I head over at the other thread that the gpu is much more powerfull, and 4x the ram also so that is looking really good if true.(pinch of salt) bit there is rumours of a bottle neck..maybe cpu? Bandwidth? It would certainly explain the gpgpu rumours being a problem if nintendo had to ask devs to compensate for the lack of cpu threads or whatever.

I can't imagine bandwidth really being a factor..they would only need about 40-60 gbps.

It's all rumours of course, probably being led up the garden path as usual :(

I can't imagine bandwidth really being a factor..they would only need about 40-60 gbps.

this is still significant bandwith that you won't even get if you're too much after saving money and power.
the geforce gt640 has a state of the art GPU and 28.5GB/s, I'm scratching my head. it gets murdered by a gts 450 or a radeon 7750, I don't know what they were thinking.

perhaps they strategically make it a piece of crap because the gddr5 model would be too successful for their limited production capacity, but making an indesirable product on purpose is weird.

this is still significant bandwith that you won't even get if you're too much after saving money and power.
the geforce gt640 has a state of the art GPU and 28.5GB/s, I'm scratching my head. it gets murdered by a gts 450 or a radeon 7750, I don't know what they were thinking.

perhaps they strategically make it a piece of crap because the gddr5 model would be too successful for their limited production capacity, but making an indesirable product on purpose is weird.
I know nintendo has a nasty habbit for such things so I wouldn't put it past them, I doubt they would be so stupid.

The cpu rumours might make more sense as the cpu has the potential to take up a considerable power budget so would be an area that they would want to cut back on in that tiny little match box.

the geforce gt640 has a state of the art GPU and 28.5GB/s........ I don't know what they were thinking.

It's a business model for a saturated market. They would kill their own sales if they would release stronger product on the "low" segment. It's the same reason why the 660 is delayed, or why you can't find unlocked i3 intel CPUs anymore, because gamers would just buy those and overclock them to oblivion if needed. The consumption must go on or the hardware industry dies, so they are making sure that you will buy the expensive stuff if you want good performance. No "cheap" shortcuts anymore.

I mean seems like on the overall the GPU will be in the neighborhood of 700 Gflops with 2GB of RAM and the others will be at 1500-2000 Gflops running at double the resolution by default...

This system will be Wii silent.

Realistic expectatition is 320-400 SPUs @ about 500Mhz. It will operate at minimum 5x performance deficit to competition.

Like Sonic said it doesn't sound dumb at all. Plus ERP posed something similar so I don't think he would like to be considered as being dumb. :LOL:

That's not dumb at all and if you searched the USPTO you would be able to see those patents so that's probably not the patents bgassassin is referring to.

It will be interesting to see if a former console manufacturer makes a fuss about similar patents and goes after Nintendo for infringement.

Right. To be honest as I think about it, the context of that info seemed to relate more to the visuals the GPU would put out. Which is why I believe I assumed lighting would be a part of how that's address. Li Mu Bai suggested the same thing.

If it really should find use as GPGPU my guess would be at least 384/400 shader units, you have to keep in mind that it already needs 1,5x the power of XB360 in worst case because of the second screen. Estimated +100GFLOPS for GPGPU purposes.
So my guess 384/400 - 512/480 shader units @~600 MHz.

75W max total system power draw, including optical drives, wireless radios and so on. That's some seriously weak-ass hardware then! Oh well, not as if it's really any news I guess.

Rated DC output of a power supply isn't necessarily the power consumption under load.

e.g. Wii PSU is rated for 12V@3.7A (44.4W) yet the measured consumption is around 20W.

Of course that's the MAX rated draw. The actual draw will be less than that.

75W max total system power draw, including optical drives, wireless radios and so on. That's some seriously weak-ass hardware then! Oh well, not as if it's really any news I guess.

It worse than that. Like other have posted. Its likely 45-50 watts used while running.

Wii for example used less than half rated power.

Xbox360 uses 2/3 rated power

Whats newest 360 brick's rating? (guess I should waddle over and look, lulz, will do in a sec)

And where did this GAF dude manage to hold of a Wii U PSU spec?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back