Wii U hardware discussion and investigation *rename

Status
Not open for further replies.
fact lack of evidence is NOT EVIDENCE any other conclusion is illogical.

:rolleyes:

NO!

It is not logical to assume something with no supporting evidence!

It's also now running two separate frame buffers.

Proof please? All I can find is what DF rumored to be going on,
Most games look fine when downsampled from 720 to SD (what the 360 does if playing with an SD screen), it would be pointless not to do the same for the WiiU pad.

your "conclusions" are illogical and without anything real to back them up

No, they are logical.
You are just clutching at straws.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure you're serious or not, but he's right. Lack of evidence is not in of itself evidence, so you can't state for sure that Wuu is of a particular level of power simply from the games shown so far.

Not sure you're serious or not, but he's right. Lack of evidence is not in of itself evidence, so you can't state for sure that Wuu is of a particular level of power simply from the games shown so far.

We can only go on what we know, to claim the WiiU is more powerful with nothing to back it up is illogical.

I just said that everything we have seen thus far does not show the WiiU being more powerful than the 360 or PS3, but some posters are attacking me due to a lack of understanding the words "we have seen"!

Proof please? All I can find is what DF rumored to be going on,
Most games look fine when downsampled from 720 to SD (what the 360 does if playing with an SD screen), it would be pointless not to do the same for the WiiU pad.
Wii U GamePad doesn't share the same image with the screen in most if any cases, so downsampling isn't a solution. In some games it's completely "separate" as in, inventory, map, you name it, in some cases it's completely different viewpoint to same scene than the mainscreen (as example, the trampoline or something in Nintendoland, mainscreen shows sideways view which shows the height you get to, Gamepad shows from directly above for easier aiming for next jump)

No, they are logical.
You are just clutching at straws.
Completely false statements and lack of proof for anything makes your conclusions illogical, there's no proof of anykind to support your claims.

By those "standards" you used for your "conclusions", it would be logical to say XB720 and PS4 are less powerfull than GameCube, PS2 or XBox, simply because there's no proof saying otherwise.

edit:
And we've seen it do equal quality multiplatform games with gamepad view added which already is more than PS360

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not seeing it peeps, wuu is current gen, it may try to use some gpgpu capabilities, but I cant see there being enough shaders or performance to really make it work, and it sure as hell isn't gcn...else the games would have looked much better than that already.

Devs were probably complaining because nintendo decided to low ball the gpu with old tech, and then suggested they try and squeeze some compute out of it to try and make it better.

I sense performance gap will be even higher ethos generation compared to last.

Where have devs complained about Wii U performance exactly?
And you can't draw conclusions from E3-builds half a year before launch

I only commented on someone else's post.
Of course you can comment on things that have been shown, what else can we talk about then??

we don't know the specs, but for instance if it was running cayman gpu we would certainly be able to see the difference even 1 year out from launch.

we don't know the specs, but for instance if it was running cayman gpu we would certainly be able to see the difference even 1 year out from launch.

No should about it, the difference would be absolutely massive and instant. (Hope you understand Cayman was the 6900 cards)

No should about it, the difference would be absolutely massive and instant. (Hope you understand Cayman was the 6900 cards)
Agreed there wouldn't even be a debate on the issue, thanks for pointing that out I was actually pointing to a hd 6870..which is totally optimistic and nigh impossible.

My guess is a hd 4570 underclocked to match tdp, the second screen would take power, but probably only 20-30% right?

Was it that or did vliw5 give them the highest claimable peak FLOP rate in the run up to a TFLOP?
Vec4+scalar has the exact same claimable peak flops as VLIW5, and VLIW5 is much more expensive to implement. The difference is probably the load. Vec4+scalar is actually pretty good when you are running old, fixed-function type code or the light first-generation programmable code. The more elaborate your shaders become, the more inefficient it becomes. Hence the road from it through VLIW5 to VLIW4 to scalar.

And now that they're beyond a tflop+, haven't they gone back to Vec4+Scalar for GCN?

No. GCN is pure scalar x 64 wide simd.

No. GCN is pure scalar x 64 wide simd.

No it's not

X-2011122206255802513.jpg

X-2011122206260099015.jpg

You can put money on it: There will be no advantage shown over current-gen in Wuus lifetime.

Wii U will get C-level efforts/ports like the Wii did. Most big budget devs/publishers dont see "business case" on Wii U like Crytek put it.

You can put money on it: There will be no advantage shown over current-gen in Wuus lifetime.

Wii U will get C-level efforts/ports like the Wii did. Most big budget devs/publishers dont see "business case" on Wii U like Crytek put it.

And that prevents Nintendo studios and Ubi from making far better looking exclusives?

What annoys me is seriously how much cheaper is it actually to use out of date hardware? I mean to use a low end gcn derived gpu can't really be that hard can it? It wouldn't push the costs up by a great deal would it?

At what point does crippling the hardware with out of date cheap components to gain a small profit becomes a disadvantage in the long run? Especially As you only get 1 year in the lime light scraping with entrenched competitors that are nearly as powerful as your system, not forgetting billions more money is actually being made through software and online subscriptions and content...is this the right road for nintendo?

I'm perfectly sure a low end modern gpu could have been implemented with 2gb ram and a quad core cpu...and still be sold for a profit with much better long term prospects both on games and likely money.

Nintendo is going the wrong way about imo.

Crytek doesn't plan to develop any games on PS4 and 720 either. No "business cases" to justify making games for those platforms, as they're going all F2P - on PC. Context is a glorious thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back