Wii U hardware discussion and investigation *rename

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is "Three cores (fully coherent)." ?

Cache Coherency probably. i.e. updating local core cache if values change in one of the caches of some core. Or something like that. :p It just makes sure the data is consistent.

I was watching 720p feed and what TT Games had managed to get Lego IQ was just unbelivable bad. Tearing, pop-in, framerateissues in a really simple game.

I thought Batman looked really bad, too, but I wasn't sure if the Wii U was just producing ugly games or if there was some aweful compression happening to the gameplay on Spike's stream (which otherwise has been beautiful in HD).

I'm quite sure most of those issues are related to possibly outdated devkits being used, and having final ones only for a short while

I will say this, but DOF must be practically free on the hardware becasue half the games shown so far are all going for a tilt shift photography look. It's Nintendo's version of #yearofthebow

I thought Batman looked really bad, too, but I wasn't sure if the Wii U was just producing ugly games or if there was some aweful compression happening to the gameplay on Spike's stream (which otherwise has been beautiful in HD).

Didn't seem true direct feed. It was just a filmed demonstration.

More 8 render targets :)
I don't get this:
Write gatherer per core.
Locked (L1d) cache DMA per core.

What does that mean?

Write gatherer per core is a technique to speed up writing out to memory by uh... gathering writes and sending them out as one. I'm probably hedging on details because the usage is basically just "you turn it on, and it makes writing memory faster" in some circumstances. It's similar to write-combined memory on xbox.

Locked cache DMA is a technique where the L1 cache is "locked" and used as a very fast area of temporary memory, similar to scratchpad on PS2 or a little like an SPU.

As for what it means... it means something that I'm not gonna say.

from the leaked specs, i read that the gpu has a tesselation unit (even if IIRC the r700 family didn't). Does that means that there is hope to actually see tesselation in Wiiu games? Xbox 360's gpu also had a tesselation unit, but as far as i know no game actually utilized it (maybe because of the huge cost in terms of computational power required)

from the leaked specs, i read that the gpu has a tesselation unit (even if IIRC the r700 family didn't). Does that means, that there is hope to actually see tesselation in Wiiu games? Xbox 360's gpu also had a tesselation unit, but as far as i know no game actually utilized it (maybe because of the huge cost in terms of computational power required)

The rv700 had a tesselator, as did the r/rv600 family before it. Less capable though than the rv800 family tesselator.
IIRC the Xbox360's tesselator was used in a couple of games: Viva Pinata, Forza 3, Halo Wars and Halo Reach.

The rv700 had a tesselator, as did the r/rv600 family before it. Less capable though than the rv800 family tesselator.
IIRC the Xbox360's tesselator was used in a couple of games: Viva Pinata, Forza 3, Halo Wars and Halo Reach.

I've read it was used for the water in Banjo Kazooie as well

The impression I got was that it has been used in a number of games (e.g. Alone in the Dark for displacement IIRC), but it's generally not worth discussing because of the triviality. Epic did add support for GPU tessellated surfaces back in 2008. They used it for fluid interactions, so I'd wonder about other games with similar approaches*. Those situations seem a prime candidate all-considering. There is stuff like terrain tessellation as well (ala Viva Pinata, but for larger scope, which makes sense for managing patch sizes), but it's hard to really say whether one title uses the hardware unit or not (Battlefield doesn't, Mass Effect might have for the first game).

The things lacking pre-DX11 would be the Hull and Domain Shaders, which make it easier to implement more complex/programmable forms of tessellation, as opposed to the relatively fixed-function stuff in previous generations.

*Arkham Asylum used the same sort of fluid surface for the one room with the water you have to cross that was electrified (IIRC). The surface interaction might have been missing on PS3/PC, can't remember. It was basically a check-box feature. :p

that's interesting, i did'nt know it was used ingame on 360. Regarding the wiiu, can we espect to see games with use of tesselation? (even if not in the same ammount and quality as seen in recent dx11 games) or not? the thing that puzzles me the most is that the api used by wiiu seems to be based on the opengl supported by r700 family, (version 3.3) that doesn't support tesselation at all.

Nintendo would have to come up with their own solution to expose the HW functionality in their API in that case. Even if the unit is limited to pre-DX11, there are ways to achieve similar results of DX11 but they require a more expensive, two-pass approach for the rendering, and that's a fairly divergent implementation from DX11. Devs probably wouldn't bother doing both.

Anyways, back to the waiting game for HW info leaks...

The 32MB of EDRAM seems to have take a way to significant part of the silicon budget. Possibly the part of the budget which would have allowed the WiiU to be a more proper in between design.
The 32MB of eDRAM array in POWER7 is taking a mere ~66mm² on the die (without the L3 tags). And this is an implementation that has been accommodated for a much less tolerant high-performance architecture design. It's definitely doable/affordable for a tiny console, on any modern manufacturing process. Actually, I would even go for 48MB -- perfect size for a full 1080p back-buffer in FP16 format, with some leftover space for 2x multi-sampling.

Write gatherer per core is a technique to speed up writing out to memory by uh... gathering writes and sending them out as one. I'm probably hedging on details because the usage is basically just "you turn it on, and it makes writing memory faster" in some circumstances. It's similar to write-combined memory on xbox.

Locked cache DMA is a technique where the L1 cache is "locked" and used as a very fast area of temporary memory, similar to scratchpad on PS2 or a little like an SPU.

It means I'm ignorant but I already suspected it :LOL:

Why the secrecy? It means U-CPU can do everything Gekko could. BTW, POWER7 also has lockable & DMA-able caches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back