Wii U hardware discussion and investigation *rename

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thing is... it's no wonder the critics remain anonymous, whilst the praisers don't...

Why I do wonder is, that Crytek recently did praise Wuu for being so great, yet they also said "fat chance" for Crysis 3 on said console... if it's so fast and (as they said) Cryengine was already ported, then why not release the game? Makes no sense at all.

Thing is... it's no wonder the critics remain anonymous, whilst the praisers don't...

Why I do wonder is, that Crytek recently did praise Wuu for being so great, yet they also said "fat chance" for Crysis 3 on said console... if it's so fast and (as they said) Cryengine was already ported, then why not release the game? Makes no sense at all.

Did they ever say Cryengine has been ported for it?

Did they ever say Cryengine has been ported for it?

Crytek UK (aka Free Radical) has the engine up and running (and from these same types of "friends" running better than current gen). THQ wants Homefront 2 on the Wii. Crytek Frankfurt, perhaps, is a different story. EA is publishing Crysis 3 so maybe they have different priorities for the Wii U launch window efforts.

Perhaps it's not a question of capabilities, but rather one of priorities.

And to summarise for this thread, it's an irrelevant diagram not pertaining to the patent for a controller with a screen and controls on front and back. It's not a patent for Wii U, so the diagram needn't be Wii U, and all evidence so far points to it being Wii. Thus we can get back to random, uninformed guessing. ;)

The Wii U "officially" will not run UE4, this is no surprise to anyone here. (I said as much) An official confirmation of sorts from Geoff Keighley, via twitter, courtesy of Nirolak at Neo-Gaf: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=475868 I said that it was a transitional console, I didn't mince words. This term was meant to clearly deliniate the Wii U as beyond this console generation's visual & feature set capabilities, though not occupying the same technical power space as the Orbis & Durango.

I view this as a non-issue however, the Wii U is capable of more than what the Unreal 3 engine provides. (on current gen. systems) Gearbox's Wii U version of Aliens:CM should show this within the framework of UE3 cross-platform development.(esp.within their custom lighting engine) 4A Games' Metro:LL should follow suit as well on their proprietary engine. (some programmers over there are extremely gifted, & want to push the technical envelope even further) Proprietary Wii U engines will showcase this best however, as specific toolkits & feature sets are created to exploit the console's strengths. Expect more than just Retro's offering to truly impress at E3. Nintendo has made some very strong 3rd party partnerships for both cross, as well as console exclusive software.(even contacturally in some instances) This will not change once UE4 becomes widely accessible to developers. A repeat of the Wii's software demise is not in the cards I assure you. This also assumes that UE4 becomes the de facto middleware solution for the next generation.

Most developers will be utilizing Unreal 3 as a base early on regardless of Orbis's & Durango's ability to run UE4. As I posted earlier, MS's Durango's now going "all in" with UE4 as of the GDC. Prior to the GDC the Durango wasn't compatible either. In any case, do you truly believe that UE4 won't be scalabe to an extent? Frostbite, Cryengine, etc certainty are. From purely an economic viewpoint, this scenario makes no sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont know what Gearbox is doing but Aliens:CM is just not even impressive for UE3

Metro LL what happened here?
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/...t-no-longer-confirmed-for-wii-u-says-thq.html

"No I don't think it was a bit too early [to show the game at E3]. As we got along in the development process, we just really wanted to focus on what we knew, focus on PS3, 360 and PC," he explained.

"The verdict is out on what we can do to maximise the code for the Wii U, and we'll see [what happens]."

In any case, do you truly believe that UE4 won't be scalabe to an extent? Frostbite, Cryengine, etc certainty are. From purely an economic viewpoint, this scenario makes no sense.

Why is Epic not supporting it officially on Wii U then? It just dosent have the juice to do the realtime stuff they are bringing on. The eventual mobile version wont do that stuff so it could be ported to Wii U but it would useless for crossplatform Durango-WiiU-Orbis development. iPad-Wii U port buddies?

The first UE4 titles wont see the light of day before 2014 and by that time economics are not an issue. GTX580 level card will be very much mainstream and next-gen consoles will have combined 10M base.

Something Cape Verde/Pitcairn-like is the ceiling in what you can expect in the Durango. Not 680-level. Epic isn't even satisfied with what's in the Durango (and absolutely not with Sony), of course they're not going to officially port their engine to the Wii U which is weaker than both. Doesn't mean the featuresets don't exist to support the technology itself.

I dont know what Gearbox is doing but Aliens:CM is just not even impressive for UE3

Why is Epic not supporting it officially on Wii U then? It just dosent have the juice to do the realtime stuff they are bringing on. The eventual mobile version wont do that stuff so it could be ported to Wii U but it would useless for crossplatform Durango-WiiU-Orbis development. iPad-Wii U port buddies?

The first UE4 titles wont see the light of day before 2014 and by that time economics are not an issue. GTX580 level card will be very much mainstream and next-gen consoles will have combined 10M base.

We need to know exactly by what reason that the Wii U won't be compatible. Perhaps it's further evidence to point to the system as using an older Radeon architecture like R700, that is still rumored, and in turn support for the idea that the nextBox and PS platforms will be using more modern GPU architectures, regardless of "core/stream processor counts".....

.....you know, hardware feature sets as opposed to raw processing capabilities.

The original GPU base (prior to customizations) started in 2009 and was definitively based on the R700 architecture. They finished the GPU in January. Take that as you will.

The original GPU base (prior to customizations) started in 2009 and was definitively based on the R700 architecture. They finished the GPU in January. Take that as you will.

What is the assumption of "definitely based on the R700 architecture" based, other than timeframe?
I mean, why would you assume that custom chip has to be based on already released [at the time of starting to design your custom implementation of it] architecture, instead of architecture currently in development (like GCN definately was in 2009, even if it was still in early stages of design)

I meant "base design" in the sense that they took an existing design and customized it for their needs, but the final chip will still, in this case, be rooted in that r700 design (VLIW and not GCN, for example)

This has more to do with THQ's financial situation vs. 4A's desire to continue the development of the Wii U's version. I believe E3 may remedy this. Aliens:CM is utilizing quite impressive deferred rendering in its reatime lighting engine. Impressive is a subjective term, its still a valid example in UE3 cross-platform software. This is true despite what you think of Gearbox's offering.

Despite being the weakest of the three, the Wii U's GPU supports most modern rendering/shading techniques. The usual suspects then are main system RAM, or the CPU. 2014 is second generation Wii U titles, including some very strong 1st party IP launches. The relevant point here is if the Wii U's success even remotely mirrors the Wii's, 3rd parties will not want to be forced into delegating internal team resources to concurrently creating seperate console versions. (assuming the Orbis will even run a fully featured UE4) A scalable UE4 simply makes market sense. A third console revenue stream to increase profitability, as well as offsetting rising development costs cannot be ignored.

Last edited by a moderator:
As written, it sounds like the 01.net rumor was quite accurate, but there've been lots of unlikely interpretations of it as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back