Wii U hardware discussion and investigation *rename

Status
Not open for further replies.
He also said 360 and WiiU were similar in power difference to PSP and 3DS respectively. Then he says WiiU is weaker than 360, quite clearly doesn't know what he's talking about. Now he's gone missing for days since a mod asked him to send him some proof of his credentials.

That doesn't mean he doesn't know what he's talking about. It's possible Wii U will be weaker than 360.

Would be horrendously disappointing if true though.

How does that even work?

I just thought I remembered you saying some pretty far out stuff...

Glancing quick at your post history, one that jumps out is you said Wii U uses an SOC according to your source. I'm going to bet bgassasin isn't going to like that one...

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1571704&postcount=64

Some others that seem questionable (that I suspect will end up proven false):

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1614390&postcount=413

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1547548&postcount=453

The more I like at it the more I think you must be BG's super secret source LOL. Except for the SOC part everything seems to be in line with BG's stuff.

Glancing quick at your post history, one that jumps out is you said Wii U uses an SOC according to your source. I'm going to bet bgassasin isn't going to like that one...

The more I like at it the more I think you must be BG's super secret source LOL. Except for the SOC part everything seems to be in line with BG's stuff.

So his opinions are what you were referring to (though the taping out post seems like common sense)? Please stop. You're only making yourself look bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
That doesn't mean he doesn't know what he's talking about. It's possible Wii U will be weaker than 360.

I think the fact that his own comparison contradicts his conclusion gives a very good indication that he doesn't know what he's talking about. He also contradicts other very specific posts from Lherre about the dev kit. I honestly don't see a single reason why anyone should give his posts the time of day.

Also I really don't think it is possible, not even slightly :)

Last edited by a moderator:

If the Wii U was simply a continuation of the Gamecube architecture like the Wii was, than I might agree with you. But we know for certain that it's not. And has been said many, many times in just the last few pages, there's no way a modern architecture would yield a console less powerful than the 360. But, by all means, continue to live in a dream world. It's not an opinion I understand, but hey... free will, right?

If the Wii U was simply a continuation of the Gamecube architecture like the Wii was, than I might agree with you. But we know for certain that it's not. And has been said many, many times in just the last few pages, there's no way a modern architecture would yield a console less powerful than the 360. But, by all means, continue to live in a dream world. It's not an opinion I understand, but hey... free will, right?

I've seen worse, in this very same thread.

Nonetheless, it would be really hard for Nintendo to come up with something slower than a 65W Llano, which is by itself quite a bit faster than a X360 (especially if it's coupled with 1866MHz DDR3).

The stuff you refer to is all speculation. I never claimed it to be inside information or anything - and in fact knew nothing about the hardware back in April 2011.

I've said this before but I'm surprised that WiiU doesn't just use Llano or Trinity. It's quite a tight package for a console really. Lots of integration, ready to go, fairly low power, more powerful and featureful than PS360, budget oriented ... Backward compatibility is the issue I suppose.

I've said this before but I'm surprised that WiiU doesn't just use Llano or Trinity. It's quite a tight package for a console really. Lots of integration, ready to go, fairly low power, more powerful and featureful than PS360, budget oriented ... Backward compatibility is the issue I suppose.
Efficiency, too. And volume I guess. Nintendo needs at least a million chipsets per month.

The stuff you refer to is all speculation. I never claimed it to be inside information or anything - and in fact knew nothing about the hardware back in April 2011.

Well I was dealing with this post

Wsippel makes a "positive" post and it's obvious he knows someone and you say you're skeptical, but then a poster comes out of nowhere with no validation saying it weaker than PS360 and you are ready to give credence to it without question

I'm not sure what info BG is referring to you as your "positive posts" then if by your own claim it's all just your own "speculation" now. In that case BG is the one who should reassess.

Also here's where you said it was an SOC

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1571829&postcount=72

You're still saying that, correct?

Edit: I guess the point is how is it "obvious you know someone" (BG's words) if then all your actual specific posts on the hardware are played off as speculation? If not, which of your hardware/info specific posts are not speculation, for reference?

bg, why dont you get off your high horse. This isn't GAF where fanboys rule and can shout down anybody they dont agree with in certain threads. Try addressing the issues.

OK, so that was the post you were referring too, was that so hard? I already figured as much.

You're the one consistently spreading claims and innuendo without any provable basis in fact. We're all just supposed to believe that you have all these shadowy contacts. I certainly hope Wii U GPU is at least 640 SP's for your sake, otherwise you're going to look like a fool, and I suspect post a whole lot less. I'm quite confident in my current position on Wii U's power, somehow I think you dont have that same confidence, and I think you know why.

It still doesn't change your unsubstantiated claims that wsippel "clearly knows someone" (based on no evidence you can point too, since I've already combed his posts for specific hardware tidbits and found little, other than it's an SOC, which I doubt), therefore I should believe him and not Arkam, whatever that even means. I might as well say, you believe wsippel who is a random poster rather than arkam who is clearly a dev. It would have about as much meaning and evidence. Much has been made of arkam's supposed refusal to "prove" he's a dev, therefore he is clearly an abject troll (though no real dev would do that, save lherre who has big balls :p), where's wsippel's proof of anything? Can I ask him to pm me some credentials and photos and see where that gets me? I'm not calling wsippel a liar either, I'm just questioning. Where's your proof of anything? You even claim to have see a dev kit, apparently, in person? The hilarious thing was when one of your biggest supporters on GAF, stevieP, saw a picture of a huge PC with about 75 fans from some lan party and instantly believed it was a Wii U dev kit (teh power!!!11 :rolleyes:). That about sums up most of the tech knowledge in the Wii U thread.

I take every tidbit of info into account, arkam and wsippel and all the news accounts and dev statements alike, to try to get a feel. I'm not taking arkam as gospel as all, just one more fading piece of evidence amongst dozens. I've probably written already more about him on B3D due to your charges then I ever thought about him in the first place.

From now on we should take this to the Wii U general thread since it's not discussing the Wii U GPU. Please respond in there if at all.

The funny bottom line in all this is I would love to see Wii U be a nice crunchy domination of PS360, because I'm sick to death of this gen's graphics and it would kick Sony/MS in the butt and force them to move along.

But Nintendo didn't even put a decent, not even a half modern, decent, GPU in the Wii back then. I wrote many posts years ago on B3D wondering why Nintendo didn't just stick a nice X1600XT in the Wii instead of what they did. It's stuff like that that really makes me not trust them. And for that matter the 3DS as well, from what I can digest of it's engineering.

I'm quite confident in my current position on Wii U's power, somehow I think you dont have that same confidence, and I think you know why.
Not meaning to interfere in your discussion, but the above definitely grabbed my attention. Care to elaborate what your current position is, along with what makes you so confident about it? You can PM me if you feel like it.

1-1.5x 360? Something like that.

I have to admit it seems like you have to go some to even design a console where that's possible, so maybe I'm wrong. But Nintendo has certainly shocked me in a bad way before.

1-1.5x 360? Something like that.

I have to admit it seems like you have to go some to even design a console where that's possible, so maybe I'm wrong. But Nintendo has certainly shocked me in a bad way before.

Except you have no actual evidence to back up that claim, just unsupported pessimism and one random comment from some guy who won't back up his claims to be a dev. And because his comment lines up with your belief, you take it as gospel truth. If you want to believe that, fine. But at least admit your bias.

Err no, I'm not basing it all on arkam's comments, but rather on everything so far (including all the vague public dev comments to date, E3 demos, the hearsay on message boards, some good some bad, all of it, and yes, my highly pessimistic view of Nintendo, go head and tar and feather me).

And I already admitted my bias in previous posts. Everybody here has a bias, we should be more open about admitting it.

bg, why dont you get off your high horse. This isn't GAF where fanboys rule and can shout down anybody they dont agree with in certain threads. Try addressing the issues.

OK, so that was the post you were referring too, was that so hard? I already figured as much.

Nobody is on a high horse and GAF has nothing to do with anything. I've done no "shouting" whatsoever. What I have done is addressed the asinine posts that you have made. Anyone can see that's what some (if not most) of them have been when it comes to Nintendo. Heck, if it wasn't for you I wouldn't have asked lherre questions and got him to talk like he has over there. And we probably wouldn't know some of the things we know now thanks to you mentioning him. I don't know you to have a problem with you. But I have had problems with things you've been saying because you don't give anything to truly back them up other than admitting your own bias.

I've been able to talk about all the consoles without belittling any of them for any reason, yet you clearly put down Nintendo. For example I posted what I thought the next consoles would look like in the prediction thread and IGN's rumor about Xbox 3's GPU was well below my guess. And as of now I still think there is a hole or two in that info, but there's nothing to contrast it to other than the "SoC 7000-series" rumors that doesn't give us enough info to at least say what level that 7000-series GPU is. I think it should be obvious that if anyone is the "fanboy" it's you. Once we start getting more info on PS4 and Xbox3, I'm going to have more posts about them. But for now Wii U has the "most" tangible info and I'm going to focus on that for now. And at the same time I'm going to focus on accuracy over making baseless assumptions.

Also it shouldn't have been hard at all as you were the one that called it positive news in the first place. What else would I have been referring to? You decided to go on looking at other posts for whatever reason making it way harder than it should have been.

You're the one consistently spreading claims and innuendo without any provable basis in fact. We're all just supposed to believe that you have all these shadowy contacts. I certainly hope Wii U GPU is at least 640 SP's for your sake, otherwise you're going to look like a fool, and I suspect post a whole lot less. I'm quite confident in my current position on Wii U's power, somehow I think you dont have that same confidence, and I think you know why.

Isn't that the pot calling the kettle black? Just because you don't accept the proof I've given, doesn't make it invalid. I've given three different examples of where it was indicated to be an RV770 in the dev kit. What have you given to support it being an RV730? I even gave an example of how the dev kit GPU could be on par with an RV730 since it was underclocked. What have you given? Looking at an early demo on incomplete hardware? I have plenty of confidence in my position. I have no clue how you have confidence in yours. And whether I'm right or wrong about Wii U, once the info is out I'm going to be posting less about it either way. I'm only here for the speculation on the three consoles. Once all three consoles have been officially revealed I'm going to be pretty much gone from the B3D console boards and probably all boards including GAF. The only reason I even started back posting on GAF was due to the Cafe leak and I got that info from a different site.

It still doesn't change your unsubstantiated claims that wsippel "clearly knows someone" (based on no evidence you can point too, since I've already combed his posts for specific hardware tidbits and found little, other than it's an SOC, which I doubt), therefore I should believe him and not Arkam, whatever that even means. I might as well say, you believe wsippel who is a random poster rather than arkam who is clearly a dev. It would have about as much meaning and evidence. Much has been made of arkam's supposed refusal to "prove" he's a dev, therefore he is clearly an abject troll (though no real dev would do that, save lherre who has big balls :p), where's wsippel's proof of anything? Can I ask him to pm me some credentials and photos and see where that gets me? I'm not calling wsippel a liar either, I'm just questioning. Where's your proof of anything? You even claim to have see a dev kit, apparently, in person? The hilarious thing was when one of your biggest supporters on GAF, stevieP, saw a picture of a huge PC with about 75 fans from some lan party and instantly believed it was a Wii U dev kit (teh power!!!11 :rolleyes:). That about sums up most of the tech knowledge in the Wii U thread.

For someone who does a lot of GAF thread reading you sure have selective memory. The main reason why I believe wsippel knows someone is because on January 16th I made this post.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=34330789&postcount=19651

It's legit. That's from an official government site. Though I've been getting possible indications that final or near final hardware has begun to come out.
A few days later someone posted a link to an article about the final kits coming out.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=34431350&postcount=867

Nintendo told us at CES that 3rd party developers have already received final devkits, so we would imagine that EA and other companies have a better idea about the support of multiple Wii U controllers than we do.
And then of course wsippel bumped this thread with the info he heard.

You also apparently like to twist things to support your view. I didn't say you should believe him over arkam. What I have done is questioned how you readily are willing to accept a poster who comes out of the blue with claims that have not lined up with anything we've heard to date, but by your own admittance have a tough time accepting wsippel's post because it was "positive news" in your own words. And we still don't even know if arkam is "clearly" a dev. I gave him the benefit of the doubt, but his info compared to lherre's and others began to take that away.

As for stevieP I'd have to see this post you are talking about as I don't recall him saying that.

As for me I never said I saw the dev kit in person. If you read the post again since I linked to it in the prediction thread you would know that. But I'm not concerned about trying to get you believe people have told things to me. I post what I'm allowed to and leave it up to others to accept it or not.

I take every tidbit of info into account, arkam and wsippel and all the news accounts and dev statements alike, to try to get a feel. I'm not taking arkam as gospel as all, just one more fading piece of evidence amongst dozens. I've probably written already more about him on B3D due to your charges then I ever thought about him in the first place.

From now on we should take this to the Wii U general thread since it's not discussing the Wii U GPU. Please respond in there if at all.

The funny bottom line in all this is I would love to see Wii U be a nice crunchy domination of PS360, because I'm sick to death of this gen's graphics and it would kick Sony/MS in the butt and force them to move along.

But Nintendo didn't even put a decent, not even a half modern, decent, GPU in the Wii back then. I wrote many posts years ago on B3D wondering why Nintendo didn't just stick a nice X1600XT in the Wii instead of what they did. It's stuff like that that really makes me not trust them. And for that matter the 3DS as well, from what I can digest of it's engineering.

We can more over there after this post. :p

Don't even lie like that. You brought arkam up before I called you out on bringing him up. Go back and look at your own post. At the same time you don't take every bit of info into account evenly. We've already established you don't. That's my main issue on the subject.

And Wii and 3DS are irrelevant. Nintendo handhelds have been "underpowered" since the Gameboy started getting respectable competition. And Wii on it's own has not established a provable trend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back