Microsoft wants to use the same OS from smartphones to PCs, drop the "Windows" name

• Thread starter Deleted member 13524
  • Start date
Installed Win8.1 on a VM... I don't like it.
I'm on Win7 x64 both at work and home so I don't have to care (except for a bug that only happens in Win8 :(.)

um windows 8 was fine. I used it for almost 2 years. The changes to 8.1 haven't actually changed how I use windows 8.

I always laugh at so called "tech" people who seem to be unable to adapt to something new, even when it's not really that different from whatever it is they're clinging to.

I always laugh at so called "tech" people who seem to be unable to adapt to something new, even when it's not really that different from whatever it is they're clinging to.

Win7 has one user interface with one taskbar at the bottom of the screen where you can access everything.
Win8.x has two inconsistent and badly integrated user interfaces and 3 or 4 taskbars (on all sides of the screen).
People don't like Win8 because of bad UI design.

I liked the placement of the disk management button shortcut at least. The installation process was nice, I guess.

Took me a little too long to figure out how to shut down or why I needed to wait for that sidebar to show up. I'll wait for Win9 or something.

Zero. They have their abstraction layer working for ARM tablets so why would they need to make a step back? They'll just continue optimizing ...

But legacy support is dead with ARM devices. Take away games (which will obviously keep being optimized for x86) and what good is Windows without legacy?

Besides, Intel is starting to offer their SoCs at incredible prices. There are $99 tablets with Windows 8.1 and quad-core BayTrail SoCs now.
Why would you ever choose a Windows 9 tablet with an ARM SoC if performance, price and battery life are similar to a x86 counterpart?

That kind of "Tech" people tend to be a lot more whiny with tech stuff and they often assume "political stances" about what technology they use, obviously hurting themselves and their productivity/comfort a lot more than the companies/products they stand against.

Yup. After actually using Win 8/8.1, I absolutely cannot stand to use Win 7 anymore. It feels like taking a step back into the stone age (exaggeration).

I'm always reminded about how people complain about every other Windows OS. WinXP most horrible OS ever people exclaimed when it launched. At the end, it was the best thing ever. Win Vista worse thing ever when it launched. Some slight graphical polish (almost everything exactly the same) for Win7 and suddenly it's the best thing ever. Win8, worst OS ever... Next OS?

Yeah, people are just being silly.

Regards,
SB

I have a lot of experience with the new atom soc . I'd love if I could get the atom soc with 4 gigs of ram running windows 9 desktop but with windows phone's UI and press a button on a screen and go to standard windows desktop if I want to run older stuff.

I'm so tired of android and the bloatware on it. I swear I factory reset my phone more times this year than I've installed windows for personal use and I've been installing windows since 3.1

I Just installed MS visual studio 2013 yesterday, A big improvement to 2012, which was a step backwards from 2010?
why was it a step backwards?
cause they sacrificed usability for ascetics
usability should always be the most important,
one new feature I love in 2013
which is weird cause I've only used it for a day, so I can't of possibly of adapted in that time, after all I have been using the old way of scrollbars for 28 years (no exaggeration)
the rightside scroll bar is now been replaced with a visual representation of your code, nice, I don't want to go back

this is how changes should be, improvements on what exists currently

Hell they need to go further, get rid of the title bar, at least stick the menu's up there, even get rid of the menubar (I've searched online for howto do this but no luck)

Some "tech" things stay the same for decades. vim/emacs, bash shell, command.com/cmd.exe shell are about the same after 20 to 30 years (well, with the first two actually gaining features but basic operating is similar)

Microsoft has been careful to leave some user interfaces unchanged since 1995, even. Most notably the device manager, and the thing from control panel -> system I think ; then the Management Console which maybe dates to Windows 2000.
(and yeah, you still have to set DIRCMD=/O to have alphabetical directory listings in the command line?)

I'm fine using Windows 95-7 GUI, BeOS, KDE, xfce, Gnome, Mac OS X, Ubuntu's Unity, but Windows 8 'tile' screen is a regression, it doesn't offer anything useful and just gets in the way.
I think it's fine for a tablet, but the click on the corner to show menu thing also is inconvenient on multiple screen setups. (Which I have both at the office and at home.)

So, we can adapt, but refuse to waste time for a regression...

it will be nice if MS release the statistics of W8 user spending time in desktop vs metro.

for my case, i almost never touch the metro. I use the start screen exactly the same as with Windows 7 Start menu. I press "windows flag" and i type the software name. then i will be back to desktop again, running desktop software.

even if im going to use metro software, i also run them from desktop. For example, when i see picture i open them from desktop and it will be shown in Metro Pictures. then i select the best picture to be cropped and edited in Metro Photoshop Express.

I'm fine using Windows 95-7 GUI, BeOS, KDE, xfce, Gnome, Mac OS X, Ubuntu's Unity, but Windows 8 'tile' screen is a regression

I second this, with one exception. On Gnome I constantly use console as its very hard to get things done with windows there... but this is true of Linux in general. Still, they are behind windows (!metro) GUI handiness.

metro is... oh come on: I still remember it in the pre-release distro, tried it and refused to buy the update even for... how much it was? 20 euro or such. My wife would have insta-killed me...

there was an article in arstechnica a couple of days ago, about them giving the mperson the ability to disable the ALLCAPS MENU from VS that they added around the time of metro
vs-2013-update-3.png
(*)
I've used visual c since the very first one vc++ 1.0 (17 discs IIRC back in early ninties) 2012 was the first version that actually went backwards due to the 'metrolike' design

(*)they can still get rid of a lot of that white space (option remove menubar), or at least give the option to move it into the titlebar, which aint needed. How often are you using photoshop, msvs, chrome, office & go hmmm I dont know what the program is, I'll just look at the titlebar (alt-tab etc tells you this anyways), the document's name you can display somewhere else also

(*)they can still get rid of a lot of that white space (option remove menubar), or at least give the option to move it into the titlebar, which aint needed. How often are you using photoshop, msvs, chrome, office & go hmmm I dont know what the program is, I'll just look at the titlebar (alt-tab etc tells you this anyways), the document's name you can display somewhere else also

As long as it is only an option. Chrome annoys the hell out of me because once your bar is full of tabs it is very very difficult to "grab" onto the menu bar to move it to another display. Rather than click a button to un-maximize then drag. Sounds like a minor thing I'm sure but is a royal pain in the arse if you do it multiple times in an hour. Especially as the menu bar after un-maximizing it isn't likely to be in the same location.

So it becomes click un-maximize. Move mouse. Grab Bar. Move window.

Versus Grab Bar. Move window. Which is far more elegant, IMO.

Regards,
SB

Chrome annoys the hell out of me because once your bar is full of tabs it is very very difficult to "grab" onto the menu bar to move it to another display
I just tried, they leave enough space as the minimze/maximize/close buttons so if you can click on those you should be able to move a window.
I can see some ppl wanting a menu displayed eg beginners that havent learnt the shortcuts, but you can see in the above screenshot theres heaps of room to move the menu into the titlebar and have a lot of space left over. I'm betting within a couple of years MS will change the titlebar at the moment its just a waste of space/bad design

Back