Metro Last Light ! Yay for the power of PC !

If Keplar is being pushed back to 2013, then Nvidia are in trouble. ;)

I'd say, the delay of the game is unrelated to Keplar. :D

Regards,
SB

Oh yeah, have pre loaded it! But I wonder what difficulty to choose. Typically normal is my thing. I wonder what Ranger mode easy is like?!

Still have 2033 unplayed in my Steam stack, I guess I'll hold out for now. I'll check some reviews though.

devs removed a difficulty level from the game
although you can have it back for $5
So i wont be buying it until the price drops by at least $5, cant be rewarding that sort of behaviour.

devs removed a difficulty level from the game
although you can have it back for $5
So i wont be buying it until the price drops by at least $5, cant be rewarding that sort of behaviour.

I did preorder it on Steam and have the difficulty...no problem.

Game is great so far, really tense. I have to swith of advanced PhysX to up the framerate...has a rather drastic impact, although it does not improve presentation that much in my opinion. Same with tesselation...on very high, it kills my fps. Also SSAA of course, but I can game on Very High with my 670 and it looks phantastic!

Overall, great game so far...curious what happens next.

does the game still as buggy as 2033?
on 2033, i have updated to latest version from Steam, disabled steam overlay, and many other manual edits just to make the game playable.

is it as scary as 2033? or is it less scary?
Its not the bug that stopped me on 2033, its the scary game lol

does the game still as buggy as 2033?
on 2033, i have updated to latest version from Steam, disabled steam overlay, and many other manual edits just to make the game playable.

is it as scary as 2033? or is it less scary?
Its not the bug that stopped me on 2033, its the scary game lol

Not sure yet. One of the most obvious bug: light cones from enemies fully clip through walls...was irritating as hell at first until I figured that just clipping through wall in this particular section. Other than that, fine so far...performance is a mystery to me. Used the LL benchmark:

Without tess and physx i get average of 58fps, with tess on normal and phys i get 43, with tess on high and physx i get 42, but the minimum drops from 14 to 8.

Problem is: the minimum fps is 14 or lower....with occasional dips to this throughout. Result is an annoying micro stutter feeling to the game, although framerate counter show no problem in average. At geforce forum lots of people have the same issue...hoping for a patch!

Here is a link to a benchmark I found in another formum. Mine looks the same. See all those little negative spikes in the tens:

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/8152/capturecxv.png

Sometimes I wonder if there is a substantial problem with the 670 and the 680.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any devs here who could explain why you simply couldn't do this to handle near clipping plane animations of arms etc.

Just let the animators work in widest FOV most of the time, show the narrowest FOV frustum in outline on the screen and colour all polygons of the relevant models a different shade if they fall outside of that frustum ... wouldn't that give the animators plenty of information to work with without having to test stuff in multiple fixed FOVs?

It all just sounds like so much of a bad excuse, just like all the console port excuses ... where they couldn't spend 5 minutes up front to abstract things properly to allow easy reconfiguration, so they spend weeks on the back-end or fuck the PC players with the excuse of how much time it would take ... ignoring the fact that it only takes so much time because they were morons during the design phase ...

What a fantastic game! 10h in, love it so far. Great atmosphere, very tense with good gameplay, story great, sometimes a bit to scary for my taste :), lots off different settings, lots of different playstyle possible, graphics are top notch: I dialed back to High settings which helped a lot to get rid of the stuttering. Imo physx has little effect in this game, and maybe someone can explain me the difference between high and very high settings - I can't see it when changing ingame back and forth.

Overall, highly recommended game. I am curious what happens next...

how is it compares to 2033?
- scary element
- bugs

and the majority of 10-12 hours are great or filled with boring things?

why they did not release a demo :(

btw, is the stereo 3D good in Last Light?

its been hit or miss for me playing games in 3D stereo. Tomb Raider looks awesome in 3D using the in-game 3D option the depth stretched very aggressively it even make lara's face got stretched on close-up on corner but it have heavy crosstalk (if i force it manually using AMD HD3D the depth are not good, too short and the crosstalk still horrible). BF3 did not have heavy crosstalk but the depth feels too normal (i like the exaggerated depth on tomb rider).

Last edited by a moderator:
how is it compares to 2033?
- scary element
- bugs

and the majority of 10-12 hours are great or filled with boring things?

why they did not release a demo :(

btw, is the stereo 3D good in Last Light?

its been hit or miss for me playing games in 3D stereo. Tomb Raider looks awesome in 3D using the in-game 3D option the depth stretched very aggressively it even make lara's face got stretched on close-up on corner but it have heavy crosstalk (if i force it manually using AMD HD3D the depth are not good, too short and the crosstalk still horrible). BF3 did not have heavy crosstalk but the depth feels too normal (i like the exaggerated depth on tomb rider).

I like it better than 2033. But it is rather close, although iirc LL has more different set pieces. It does not get boring for one second throughout the 12h, good mix of fight against humans (mostly stealth for me), scary passages in between stations (sometimes lots of firepower needed, one particular room and enemy types scared the shit put of me, holy shit!!) and story parts...game story is well told imo. I appreciate the high level of polish in this game, although I had one single freeze/crash...other than that no single bug. If you count the stuttering, this might be another bug....A4 is aware of the issue and hopefully working on it, but not all are affected. I read that people love the 3D in this game, should be similar to 2033 3D mode...but I played 2D so don't know.

Best looking game there is..

21085fc5_screenshot_20130515_175313.jpeg

f95b6ed1_screenshot_20130515_185415.jpeg

fffb33b7_screenshot_20130515_195845.jpeg

Remember the Ranger DLC Mode that can is being sold for 5 bucks or free if you pre purchased? Well, this mode can be easily activated via a registry tweak:
1: open regedit
2: Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Valve/Steam/Apps/43160
3: Create a new String value called ListOfInstalledDLC with Value data 222801
4: Open game - New game - Select Hard Ranger Mode

Note: If this doeesn't work for you. In the cfg file, there is a ranger parameter. If you change it from off to on, that might do the trick

Back