What's the best place to buy a custom PC?

I know there are sites out there that'll build a PC for you if you order it, but anyone know any good sites? I found them on google, but just don't know which one is good.

Also, I want a beefier upgrade to my CPU. I haven't kept up with CPU, and I want something with more performance than my Athlon II X2 215. I'm not looking for anything outrageous, just a solid upgrade for my money. I'm wondering what I can build for around 400 bucks. My budget can be higher, but I want to keep it modest for now.

You want a custom-built PC for $400? I don't think it's going to happen. On the cheap side Cyberpower PC and iBuypower are decent. Maingear for the high end. Personally I would just build it yourself as your money will go a bit further. Newegg has a slew of both CyerPower and iBuyPower prebuilt for your price range. Just go to desktop PC, then type->gaming then slide the price down to $500 max.

Depending on how good your current PC parts are you might be able to salvage some of them. Case and HDD will quite definitely work with whatever things you are going to buy.

You want a custom-built PC for $400?

Yeah, that might be a bit optimistic. I was thinking of salvaging some old parts, but that's really just a number I named off the top of my head.

I saw Cyberpower and my only gripe is that they can't give me a modest looking case. I don't want any of their flashy LED cases with lights and crap.

why dont you just get a phenom 2 quad, some more ram maybe, and an ssd. the computer would feel brand new. plus it would come in at less than 400 bucks and you could diy.

cheap prebuilt computers tend to really cut corners, so its usually not worth it.

I forgot to mention, this is for my parents. It's not meant to be a gaming PC. iBuypower and Cyberpower does offer amazing prices, but they're too gamer oriented. Unless they have non-gamer custom builds I didn't see. I could probably get the price down to near what I had in mind without the fancy pants tower, motherboard, and GPU. I think even a GTX 520 is too much for my parents. I have a spare X1650XT left over that'll suit their needs.

You didn't say a non-gaming rig! Hell there are gobs of options if you don't care about 3D.

You didn't say a non-gaming rig! Hell there are gobs of options if you don't care about 3D.

Yes, but I still want them custom built because I can at least pick a slightly better motherboard, RAM, etc compare to buying from HP, or whatever.

So what are so good place to buy custom pre-built for my folks? It'll be a pain to buy the parts myself, then ship it to them. I mean, shipping it to my parents also adds cost, so might as well buy custom pre-built and ship it straight to them.

cpusolutions.com seems to have a lot of flexibility in building business/home office pcs. I've never used them and can't recommend them for that reason...just found them surfing.

I will build you a custom PC. I charge $50 labor. Just tell me which parts you want and I will give you a total price + shipping. Actually you could figure out the price for yourself by looking up your preferred parts and prices...

Do you have 2 year or 3 year warranty :)

Yes for parts and labor but that would obviously be an additional cost. Standard warranty is 90 days. I don't do tech support though...not worth the headache.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back