*Confirmed* Original Crysis Bound for *PS360

TBH, if this is true i hope that they dial back hard on the amount of trees and folliage in the game. Change the actual tree models so that they're easier to render at 720p without looking like a pixellated mess (at all distances). Unlike most you guys, my PC setup limited me to 768p res (through HDMI on my 720p HDTV), the problem with Crysis 1 was that practically none of the assets in that game were made to be seen at that res. So most of the time the game looked fugly to me, even when ramped up to full specs and with 8xMSAA running at <10fps (yes that's what i had to resort to). If they can remake the game for consoles on CE3, then i think it'll be an improvement for everyone who was unfortunate to play the first game as i was forced to (sad face).

Crysis has two huge visual flaws that can largely be corrected with mods and driver overrides:

Lack of transparency AA - this is the biggest offender and turns the jungles into pixel soup. TSAA can be forced in DX9 and I think modern cards can do it in DX10.

Lack of AF on POM surfaces - there is a mod that fixes this.

If they rerelease on consoles on CE3 I hope they do the same on PC. Really it is a great game and I'd love to play it again with better performance. I can't think of any other FPS that gives you so much tactical freedom in dealing with the various encounters, save for maybe Far Cry. It's possible to complete the tank level on foot, dashing through the fields, hiding in the treeline until you're close enough to set charges on the enemy tanks.

The game does close off when you get to the alien ship, but you'll be so flabbergasted by the visuals at that point that you might not care.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand what the big deal is about rendering trees at a distance when there are plenty of games that already do that on console. It's just geometry instancing. Just to name a few:

Bad Company 2
Just Cause 2
Far Cry 1-3
Alan Wake
Gears of War 2

The only real problem is having a proper LOD system because they'll obviously be tiny objects in the distance. You don't want to render high poly trees that take up a few tens of pixels. The CE3 demo was also... old, unfinished, and they clearly had other problems to solve for Crysis 2.

It is a problem if the system is already overloaded with alpha effects or lots of polygons.
The density of the foliage is a lot higher in Crysis than the other games and unlike games like Just Cause 2 it does not use close up billboarded foliage (and in doing so has both a higher amount of polygons and higher amount of alpha textures).

Also, Crysis 2 already runs at a low frame rate (sometimes going down to 20FPS on PS3) on the consoles yet on PC it runs much faster than Crysis 1. Does that not seem to point to Crysis 1 running even worse on consoles or with huge cut backs?

on the consoles yet on PC it runs much faster than Crysis 1.
Because CryEngine 3 is much better optimized than CryEngine 2, thats the only reason and Crysis 1 will be running on CE3 on consoles.

Because CryEngine 3 is much better optimized than CryEngine 2, thats the only reason and Crysis 1 will be running on CE3 on consoles.

CE3 does seem to be a fair bit more optimized, but comparing level design between the two games I wouldn't say that's the only reason for C2 performing better.

Would be awesome if some modders could get Crysis up and running on CE3. A while back someone had Crysis running on the updated Warhead engine, and I think there were some performance improvements (though maybe this was just the more aggressive LOD in Warhead kicking in).

Crysis has two huge visual flaws that can largely be corrected with mods and driver overrides:

Lack of transparency AA - this is the biggest offender and turns the jungles into pixel soup. TSAA can be forced in DX9 and I think modern cards can do it in DX10.

Lack of AF on POM surfaces - there is a mod that fixes this.

If they rerelease on consoles on CE3 I hope they do the same on PC. Really it is a great game and I'd love to play it again with better performance. I can't think of any other FPS that gives you so much tactical freedom in dealing with the various encounters, save for maybe Far Cry. It's possible to complete the tank level on foot, dashing through the fields, hiding in the treeline until you're close enough to set charges on the enemy tanks.

The game does close off when you get to the alien ship, but you'll be so flabbergasted by the visuals at that point that you might not care.

Can i be really cheeky and ask you to PM links to where i might find these MODs. I'll be upgrading my PC later in the year and i'd like to have another stab at Crysis once i have a system than can actually run it :)

Large sandbox environment. The graphics. Easy to use suit modes, options available, play how you want, etc. You could tear down small shacks with your fists or sneak around, find hidden paths.

Some people didn't like the more linear second half but I did.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always thought that Crysis 2 gamedesign is dumbed down to linearity in comparison to Crysis because of the console constraints :p

To be honest, tried Crysis on PC, tried Crysis Warhead on PC...don't like it, not interesting, to much open world...ultra boring for me at the end!
Probably should try it again and hold out until the more linear second half people are talking about...

I am surprised at how spectacular it looks, especially the foliage, and it will be interesting to read a DF article about it. Especially the new improved lighting and the differences between texture quality, draw distance, etc. I don't expect cutting edge graphics compared to the original on PC, but being ported to consoles we could see some new stuff and techniques they didn't implement in the original game.

I always believed Crysis was possible on the PS3 and 360 all along, and it's great to see it finally running on consoles. I was hyped to know what the fuss was all about and I bought Crysis 2 -was hyped, although I stopped playing the game-, but I had never played Crysis 1, which was crowned the best looking game on PC, and I am really interested now.

btw, youtube version of the video:

Large sandbox environment. The graphics. Easy to use suit modes, options available, play how you want, etc. You could tear down small shacks with your fists or sneak around, find hidden paths.

Some people didn't like the more linear second half but I did.

I think calling it a sandbox is really pushing it. You can goof around with the physics engine, but it's mostly pointless. Sure, you can take alternative routes, but you can do just that in C2.

Anyway, very much looking forward to the inevitable crying of the self proclaimed gaming master race in case the console versions turn out great.

Nice! October 2011 and download only...probably will buy.

Even though when I played it on PC, I thought Crysis 1 was pretty terrible. I might enjoy it more on console where it wont have all the bugs.

And we had years of debates on here that Crysis wasn't possible on console, guess it was!

Also, it seemed to me like Cysis 1 got built into some incredible pinnacle of gaming, so people could criticize Crysis 2 better. Seems like this thread should be filled with people talking about how great Crysis 1 is where did they go? We have like 4 new comments and two of them are critical.

Back