Trinity vs Ivy Bridge

LOL at this thread, especially...
And here comes Albuquerque saying it's still not really explicit that the 17W part is a quad-core and the world+dog is just making up facts based on a vague slide.
A year later, and AMD still hasn't made a 17W quad. That must have stung a few egos, or at least one in particular.

Yours?
Why don't you google for "A8-4555M"?

I don't need to google, AMD doesn't make a 17W quad. History lesson: It's been a year since you and another few thousand others went batshit crazy yelling to everyone that the CES Trinity was indeed a four core 17W part.

It wasn't 17W then, and it never became 17W later. Neither was Bulldozer (oooh we got so close, 19W yeeaahhhh). Looks like Jaguar will finally deliver that promise, hopefully in a few more months.

Ha ha ha cant believe ive just tuned I to this thread sfter a year and THE SAME argument is cracking on with the same folks....guiness world record contender much...

If carlsberg made blog disputes....

Albuquerque said:
I don't need to google, AMD doesn't make a 17W quad. History lesson: It's been a year since you and another few thousand others went batshit crazy yelling to everyone that the CES Trinity was indeed a four core 17W part.

It wasn't 17W then, and it never became 17W later. Neither was Bulldozer (oooh we got so close, 19W yeeaahhhh). Looks like Jaguar will finally deliver that promise, hopefully in a few more months.

Oh no.
AMD decided to increase the TDP by 10% for its quad-core ULV Trinity.
Yes, our egos are devastated because of those 10% and we will all reflect about our lives and how you were absolutely correct. About a 19W chip instead of a 17W one.

Oh no.
AMD decided to increase the TDP by 10% for its quad-core ULV Trinity.
Yes, our egos are devastated because of those 10% and we will all reflect about our lives and how you were absolutely correct. About a 19W chip instead of a 17W one.

Show me a 19W quad Trinity and I'll concede your point ;) 25W was the best they were able to do, which sounds exactly like what I mentioned a year ago. Bulldozer got them there eventually, but eight months later.

Huh? Wasn't the A8-4555M just mentioned above!?

It took a good while, though, and they had to clock it really low to get down to 19W. Maybe Richland ULV will do better come this summer.

Piledriver is the 2. gen Bulldozer core. Trinity is an APU featuring said cores and a VILW4 GPU. Richland will be an APU featuring piledriver cores too (albeit, reportedly, with some (power and?) HSA tweaks) [strike]along with a GCN GPU[/strike].

Edit: Seems we will have to wait until Kaveri for GCN, but who knows if that's still due out this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
The A8-4555M is a 2-module, quad-core Trinity APU that was released back in September 2012.

AFAIK, Richland APUs haven't been officially announced yet.

It might be a misinterpretation on my part, but Unveiled != announced?
AFAIK there's no official information about model numbers, clock speeds, architectural changes, etc.
They just said the APUs are shipping and called it a day.

No official information about model numbers yet, but there have been leaks:
http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/amd_richland_apu_specifications.html

Since they've already been shipping to OEMs for a while, I think this information is very likely to be correct.

I find it hard to believe. People will still want a large monitor and a keyboard (typing on a tablet or using a 10" monitor is a no-go).
While I really believe that -with better accumulator- we can have powerful phones/tablets, I hardly find a replacement for a 15-17" readable surface (maybe keyboard can be laid off by voice recognition, but not monitor..).

Guess what? I can also use my tablet (now using Win8 originally Win7) with a desktop monitor, keyboard and mouse. :) If I flip it over so the display isn't showing then I'd never know I wasn't using a desktop PC. Well other than the fact that my slate contains a first generation Atom as well as an emmc solid state drive (slooooow) and thus is dog arsed slow. :p

That was the whole point of my post. As CPU computing power converges with low electrical power consumption it becomes more and more likely that a single tablet could eventually replace having to have a desktop + notebook + tablet (or pick 2 out of the 3) that many people have.

Currently Clover Trail based tablets have the right amount of power consumption but not enough computing power to fully replace a desktop or performance notebooks. Mobile IVB has the CPU power but not the low power consumption. Haswell will bring us a step closer, but it's the generations after that which will have the most potential to support a device which could replace all 3 (tablet, notebook, desktop).

It's also in this area that AMD perhaps has at least a decent chance of competing with Intel. They'll never beat them in pure computing power. But they may be able to compete with them when it comes to package of good enough computing power with needed low power consumption. I'm not holding my breath as AMD's execution on the CPU front has been less than good. But they at least have a chance.

Regards,
SB

I don't see how lower power devices change much, AMD will still need to compete on performance & price within any market/TDP segment, from phones to servers, even more so if you want a phone or a tablet to replace your old desktop.

I don't see how lower power devices change much, AMD will still need to compete on performance & price within any market/TDP segment, from phones to servers, even more so if you want a phone or a tablet to replace your old desktop.

That's true but they appear to be doing better there, now that they aren't focused on competing at the top of the desktop/server performance battleground.

That combined with Intel up until relatively recently not putting too much into the ultra low power market gives AMD an opportunity, IMO. It's a small window of opportunity, granted but it's certainly better than what they face in the desktop space.

Regards,
SB

That's true but they appear to be doing better there, now that they aren't focused on competing at the top of the desktop/server performance battleground.
Really? From the scarce numbers I could find Trinity even on the GPU side was much closer in performance (near parity) with Ivy Bridge at 17W, whereas obviously with the 100W chips it is faster. Love to see some really good performance comparisons though... there seem to be almost no 17W Trinity numbers online.

Really? From the scarce numbers I could find Trinity even on the GPU side was much closer in performance (near parity) with Ivy Bridge at 17W, whereas obviously with the 100W chips it is faster. Love to see some really good performance comparisons though... there seem to be almost no 17W Trinity numbers online.

They are almost identical in performance at 17W. The problem at such lower TDP however is that AMD's anaemic single PD module bottlenecks the IGP quite horribly. I would believe that the 25W version still has better battery life and performance under gaming conditions though, but I don't have anything to back that up.

Kabini is likely to be far ahead of both at the same Wattage, A4-6300 like performance which I believe is fairly close to the Llano A6-3500. Or you can check youtube for some A4-5300 videos like I was today - you'll be quite surprised at how competent it is with new titles at 720p.

25W A10 (Samsung Series 5) - http://www.notebookreview.com/defau...eries+5+AMD+Trinity+Ultrabook+Alternative&p=2

17W i5 (Asus Zenbook UX32) - http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=6582&review=asus+zenbook+ux32+ultrabook

17W i7 (Samsung Series 9) - http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=6559&p=2

The WPrime numbers show that the i5 and i7 are (unsurprisingly) faster in cpu, the i7 by a lot.

On the only graphics benchmark, 3dmark06 (why oh why didn't they do 3dmark11 on the intel laptops?) the A10 is 26% and 13% faster than the i5 and i7 respectively. We all know that '06 is more of a cpu benchmark even on low Wattage laptops these days, so the actual graphics performance is likely to be a bit higher on the A10, but frankly not by much imo.

In battery life (cpu only sadly) the A10 beats the i5 but loses more to the i7. The PC mark numbers can be ignored because of different SSD's (The A10 beats the i5 again and loses to the i7 again).

So we didn't learn a lot from that tbh. However I believe that AMD targeted 25W-35W for Trinity from the outset. The 17W Trinity is not the best chip in the range - nowhere near in fact - whereas intel has some very strong 17W ULV's but they are generally ~$350 i7's. 25W Trinity appears to be very competitive with the 17W i5's - better graphics, worse cpu performance and slightly better battery life for a little bit less money.

edit - it's also possible that the A10 has a single channel DDR3 stick, which frustratingly can lower graphics performance by up to another 20% or so. I can't confirm that but it's a possibility.

Back