Next-Gen iPhone & iPhone Nano Speculation

Oh is it a kickstarter thing?

There was a smart dimmer on Kickstarter but it kept getting pushed out over and over again. Not sure if it ever shipped.

Ordered an iphone6 last week. Ordered it sim free directly from Apple instead of from a network. Got the email yesterday to say it was despatched and would arrive in a week's time.

I'm in the UK, and I thought that was a very long delivery time from despatch, until I looked at the tracking to see that the order is being fulfilled directly from China. Phone has just left Dubai. And UPS is now saying it'll be here 2 days earlier than Apple originally stated.

One doesn't expect an Apple order to be shipped from China. but I'm guessing that just how they do it to expediate things for the first crazy phase. UPS is handling the entire distribution from factory to end user for direct sales.

Ordered an iphone6 last week. Ordered it sim free directly from Apple instead of from a network. Got the email yesterday to say it was despatched and would arrive in a week's time.

I'm in the UK, and I thought that was a very long delivery time from despatch, until I looked at the tracking to see that the order is being fulfilled directly from China. Phone has just left Dubai. And UPS is now saying it'll be here 2 days earlier than Apple originally stated.

One doesn't expect an Apple order to be shipped from China. but I'm guessing that just how they do it to expediate things for the first crazy phase. UPS is handling the entire distribution from factory to end user for direct sales.
My iPhone 5s ordered in January months after launch was also shipped directly from China. Perhaps tight production and inventory controls mean direct sales are made/allocated as they are sold and inventory is only kept for store sales? Probably why Apple doesn't like people directly comparing sales numbers to competitors because of the emphasis on direct sales with low inventory.

Shipping directly from China is nothing new for Apple. My old MacBooks were shipped directly as well.
I believe this started with the first iMac in the nineties. There's a story somewhere of Jobs buying up all capacity during Xmas season to ensure everybody would get theirs in time.

Yeah most online orders, especially any kind of customized configurations of Macs, seem to ship directly out of China.

It used to be the case that when they launched a hot product, they'd pay to have them shipped by air and then as the initial ramp period passed, they'd ship most retail inventory by boats to save on costs.

But it seems there is very limited retail inventory so even months afterwards, you get products shipping directly out of Chinese factories.

Though in the US, they also give you the option to pick up your computer at the closest Apple Store.

Once the initial demand dies down, they'll probably have similar options for the iPhones.

My new iPad Air is here.

Fast in general. Freaking fast sometimes.
I guess 2GB helps Safari keep more tabs in memory. Switched between 5-6 tabs full of images without reloading.

Thinness makes it feel sharp at the edges, but it's light vs all other pads. Even the original Air feels a little bulky after a day with the new Air. i shouldn't be able to notice the difference since the weight loss is pretty small. :-/

Apple just now updated the status of my order to shipped, actually.

It's not set to arrive early, but it's being projected for the earliest day within the range of days they originally forecasted.

So, your hunch, wco81, was pretty close. Since I use my phone for pretty much everything from content consumption to navigation to photo and video taking/editing and also being my primary web browsing device, this will be a nice upgrade.

I guess you need to use it more to judge the impact, but has the missing mute/orientation lock switch been an issue?

The speed/RAM improvements make the iPad Air 2 tempting, but I think I'll wait to see what they offer in the next one and see if they add simultaneous-app support (probably in either the iOS 8.2 or 8.3 that's in testing, the other being for iWatch support) and bring pressure sensitive touch over from the iWatch to enable better pen support.

Yeah, noticed the missing orientation lock a few times, but I think I got over it. It's the same as iPhone now.

The fingerprint sensor seems to work faster than the iPhone one.

I haven't tried viewing it outdoor yet. The antireflective screen is supposed to help somewhat. Also haven't tried the cameras.

I upgraded from the first iPad mini, so this is a huge change ! :)

Looking forward to the rumored updates in iOS 8.

I'd say the biggest noticeable differences are: bulk/handling, speed, memory size, fingerprint sensor. Hopefully they make more use of my fingerprint later. Oh yeah, the iOS 8 extensions seem to be more usable with iPad's bigger screen. They just feel more natural with more space.

Back