Next-Gen iPhone & iPhone Nano Speculation

As you already point out: no matter what, the bank will know your spending pattern. I have no illusions about that being monetized already...

It seems to imply on token forever.
I don't agree. In any case, what it seems to imply doesn't matter; apple themselves claim differently. I think that takes precedence. :)

In other news... Apple seem to be bombarded right now by iOS update requests. I can't even check for updates right now without getting an error message. :)

So 3 individuals in my family are going to be ordering the new 6 including me..in addition..I'm buying my sister's 32GB 5 for $100 as well. Gonna be using the 5 without phone service for mounting on a RC quad-copter and recording videos. :cool:

It should be interesting to see how many people are going to be getting the new Iphones and what the sales will be like compared to previous models.

Apple seem to be bombarded right now by iOS update requests. I can't even check for updates right now without getting an error message.
Careful, depending on your device I wouldn't just upgrade reguardless, some ppl have reported performance dropping by half
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/09/ios-8-on-the-iphone-4s-performance-isnt-the-only-problem/
I noticed a bit of a slowdown going from 6->7

the iphone 6/6 plus will sell great 10+ million first week I expect due to the fact ppl want phones > (the common sense size) 3.5" & 4"

Really don't know if it's time to upgrade yet. My contract expires in January, but I'm sort of lukewarm on jumping form the 5 to the 6. If the 4.7 had the OIS, I would definitely, but I'm seriously considering waiting for the 6S to see if that feature makes it to the smaller version.

I also imagine that the next iphone will have a 14/16FF SOC and 20nm modem so battery life may finally take a big leap.

I'd like to check them out in person, esp. the Plus.

Would be a nice surprise if th Plus turned out to have 2 GB of RAM.

Careful, depending on your device I wouldn't just upgrade reguardless
I've got a 5S, I'm not worried. Probably won't be until iOS10 until Apple really nukes performance on my device, they're still selling A6-generation (iPhone5) based phones brand new right now after all, so next year should be pretty good as well. 1GB RAM may start becoming a bottleneck by then tho - we might see dropped features and things like that.

Right now, all I'm missing is hardware missing from iP6-generation - obviously... All the pure software features seem to be in from what I have been able to gather.

Might upgrade to a 6 regardless of having another year of contract left... I'm not sure. 16GB flash is hugely limiting, the OS download is 5 friggin GB. I had to delete a whole slew of stuff to be able to run the update. All went well in the end though. Not really noticing any performance degradation at all.

I'm waiting on an answer to the RAM, a few other performance questions, and some hands-on time with the Plus, as well.

Careful, depending on your device I wouldn't just upgrade reguardless, some ppl have reported performance dropping by half
I wonder why they even bother adding iOS 8 support to the 4S. It's the opposite problem of the Android world.
the iphone 6/6 plus will sell great 10+ million first week I expect due to the fact ppl want phones > (the common sense size) 3.5" & 4"
The iPhone has been doing very well despite not having bigger screens in their portfolio. As Tim Cook pointed out, the iPhone 6 removes one more reason for people not to buy one. Samsung has been running some ads this week that mock Apple for being late to the bigger screen party. That's like saying "How lame that you guys offer free ice cream today, whereas we've been doing that since forever."

I don't think I understand the advertising business very well...

(My 4.7" 6 should arrive in the mail Friday morning.)

The iPhone has been doing very well despite not having bigger screens in their portfolio.
thats because noone had the opportunity to buy a larger phone from apple, the biggest was 4" The reality is, if there was such a huge market for 4" and under why didnt apple release one now eg 5.5" and 4"

Mate, dont do it, it won't fit into your pants :LOL:
silent_guy said:
I always put my phone in the coin pockets of my jeans. It fits perfectly. No way a 4 inch screen one will fit in there. (Another example of the attention to detail of prescient design geniuses at Apple, of course. )
Well it looks like now apple weren't prescient but samsung et al were the prescient ones all along

of course now the mantra which used to be "apple innovates, others copy" has become
"apples not the first, but apple does it right the first" ;)

I'm waiting on an answer to the RAM, a few other performance questions, and some hands-on time with the Plus, as well.
http://www.macrumors.com/2014/09/16/iphone-6-plus-reviews-1-gb-ram/

It's pretty much confirmed that both models have 1 GB of RAM. Reviews seem to show the 6 Plus GPU performing better than the 6 so there's likely a clock speed difference there to cushion the resolution difference.

I wonder why they even bother adding iOS 8 support to the 4S. It's the opposite problem of the Android world. The iPhone has been doing very well despite not having bigger screens in their portfolio. As Tim Cook pointed out, the iPhone 6 removes one more reason for people not to buy one. Samsung has been running some ads this week that mock Apple for being late to the bigger screen party. That's like saying "How lame that you guys offer free ice cream today, whereas we've been doing that since forever."

I don't think I understand the advertising business very well...

They need to keep the iPhone 4S on the latest OS for consistency and security updates because it'll continued to be sold. Cook said the 6/6 Plus will have their fastest roll-out around the world, but some countries will still not get it until next year so the old line-up will remain in some countries for a few more months. Earlier this year Apple restarted production of the iPhone 4 to offer an even lower cost introductory option in developing countries than the iPhone 4S for a 4 generation product stack instead of the 3 generations in developed countries and now the 4S will likely replace the iPhone 4 and continue selling even when the 6/6 Plus is available.

The performance issues on A5 devices will likely be improved by iOS 8.1 if not sooner, but of course the screen space issues on the 3.5" iPhone 4S will still remain. A 3.5" screen is small, but can be workable if the OS is designed to accommodate it. With the predictive type bar, pull-down notifications, collapsable mail compose sheets, and other changes iOS 8 that consume screen space, iOS 8 was clearly designed for larger screens now that Apple offers them. That makes it kind of counter-intuitive since Apple won't be putting their best foot forward by having the iOS 8 iPhone 4S as people's introduction to iPhone.

As for Samsung's marketing, I agree that running a campaign based on Apple being late to large screen sizes won't likely be effective. Larger screen size and extensibility really does remove some common complaints about iOS and iPhone from Android users. When people go to buy phones I think they'll look at the options as they are now and not be considering a history lesson. If Samsung really wants to continue talking about screen size, they should focus on their thinner bezels allowing them to have larger screen sizes at similar overall device dimensions to Apple's phones.

thats because noone had the opportunity to buy a larger phone from apple, the biggest was 4" The reality is, if there was such a huge market for 4" and under why didnt apple release one now eg 5.5" and 4"
They are keeping a more reasonable capacity 32GB iPhone 5S around at $149 so they can see how much demand there is for the 4" model versus the 4.7" model. If there are enough people that feel that the iPhone 6 is too big, it'll be interesting to see if they reintroduce a new 4" model next year in the "s" refresh lineup. Certainly the sizes they chosen for the 6/6 Plus does leave room for a 4", 4.7", and 5.5" lineup without models being too close in size.

Last edited by a moderator:
A few metal games are out. Asphalt 8 has been upgraded for A7 and A8 based iDevices and the Zen Garden demo can ne found in the Appstore.

I tried the Zen Garden demo on my iPad Air and it's quite impressive. Love the fish tank ;-))

The reality is, if there was such a huge market for 4" and under why didnt apple release one now eg 5.5" and 4"
Well, they're still selling the iPhone 5s. With the A8 is only a minor upgrade (+50% GPU at best, +20% CPU.) Should be plenty for the foreseeable future. Either way, my plan is up, I'm not going to give AT&T free money by not upgrading.

of course now the mantra which used to be "apple innovates, others copy" has become "apples not the first, but apple does it right the first" ;)
That's nothing new. PCs, smart phones, tablets, and countless of smaller innovations such as a finger print scanner that actually work. (I switched from a PC laptop to MacBook just for the trackpad, MagSafe, and TimeMachine). Most of them existed before Apple came up with them. But, boy, did Apple manage to do it right.

In the grand scheme of things, the size of a phone screen is but a minor blip in history.

Earlier this year Apple restarted production of the iPhone 4 to offer an even lower cost introductory option in developing countries than the iPhone 4S for a 4 generation product stack instead of the 3 generations in developed countries and now the 4S will likely replace the iPhone 4 and continue selling even when the 6/6 Plus is available.
Surprising that an iPhone 4 is sufficiently cheaper than an iPhone 4S.They're really not very different.

Well, they're still selling the iPhone 5s. With the A8 is only a minor upgrade (+50% GPU at best, +20% CPU.) Should be plenty for the foreseeable future. Either way, my plan is up, I'm not going to give AT&T free money by not upgrading.

Doesn't AT&T offer lower price if you're out of contract and you don't upgrade?

I converted a corporate to personal account and my existing 5S has no contractual obligations, it's BYOD.

They're telling me I could upgrade but my monthly would go up.

I think if Apple offered a 3rd Iphone with the guts of the 6 but inside the form factor of the Iphone 5 it would be fantastic. Just slightly wider and longer than the 5 and it'd be perfect. I don't understand the obsession with thinner and thinner phones. I think the Iphone 5 has the perfect thickness and Apple should use that "extra space" to pack in more battery capacity instead of going thinner. The new Iphone 6 design looks ugly compared to the 5.

Preorder numbers indicate the bigger phones are in demand.

They will keep the 5s and 5c on the price list but those are probably not going to sell in as high a volume as the 6 and 6 Plus.

Interesting bit of information people may not have noticed yet:

iOS 8 is fully encryption protected using the user's passcode, and Apple cannot bypass this, Ars Technica reports.

As was widely disseminated earlier this year, iOS7 and previous devices can be siphoned of huge amounts of information about the user using certain diagnostic software even if they're locked by users, but this is now no longer possible. At least, assuming you've actually entered a passcode, one would think. Of course, you could slowly brute-force the code, especially if you only use 4 digits, but it would be rather impractical for almost everyone (leaving only state actors and industrial espionage-type scenarios, pretty much.)

I think if Apple offered a 3rd Iphone with the guts of the 6 but inside the form factor of the Iphone 5 it would be fantastic.
I assume slash hope Apple will launch a new 4" phone next year. I too prefer the design of the 5 series over 6, and the form factor on the whole really is rather handy.

Well, they're still selling the iPhone 5s. With the A8 is only a minor upgrade (+50% GPU at best, +20% CPU.)
But the screens a massive downgrade, its 4.7" in the same form factor as my 5" phone, jony has been too long out of design school perhaps ;) and as wco81 saiz you can prolly get it cheaper as well
I'm guessing the internet was out for hours at a time for me yesterday due to the introduction of OS8. I thought initially it was cause of an issue on my street (street shut with firecrews/poilce out for a few hours, found to be a chemical attack on some shop)

Back