Next-Gen iPhone & iPhone Nano Speculation

Didn't Charlie Demerjian at Semi Accurate speculate that Apple likely bought out the majority of TSMC's initial 20 nm wafer allocation effectively delaying the 20 nm ramp for everyone else, particularly competitors like nVidia and Qualcomm? Maxwell sticking with 28 nm and Qualcomm not shipping 20 nm SoC until 2015, while being able to make a 20 nm baseband earlier which Apple needs, is consistent. Of course, Charlie is also saying Apple now has a fab, possibly targeting 14 nm, although it's hard to know what the details are since it's all behind paywalls.

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20140407PD210.html

DigiTimes is now reporting Apple is looking to move baseband development in house. With existing CPU and GPU teams, Apple could put out a single-chip solution, although I wonder what the patent situation is given their previous history with cellular related patent lawsuits.

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/04/09/apple-broadcom-engineers/

Goodbye Qualcomm in the future once Apple has their own baseband chip.

Even if from that newsblurb until it comes as far as suggested above it'll take quite some time. It's a miracle how any tabloit side hasn't come up with the idea yet that Apple will start building a foundry oh and they'll need to start with display technology eventually too....:rolleyes:

Apple hires two ex-Broadcom modem employees and suddenly they'll have no need for any wireless chip/module made by a third party? Sounds like jumping to conclusions. Maybe if they bought all of Broadcom this would have some weight to it.

Even if from that newsblurb until it comes as far as suggested above it'll take quite some time. It's a miracle how any tabloit side hasn't come up with the idea yet that Apple will start building a foundry oh and they'll need to start with display technology eventually too....:rolleyes:

Don't forget Apple made RAM. And while we're at it, Apple made power regulators, level shifters, op-amps, capacitors..

Apple hires two ex-Broadcom modem employees and suddenly they'll have no need for any wireless chip/module made by a third party? Sounds like jumping to conclusions. Maybe if they bought all of Broadcom this would have some weight to it.

Don't forget Apple made RAM. And while we're at it, Apple made power regulators, level shifters, op-amps, capacitors..

The story is rather that these two are the last of a group of at least 30, and that Apple has some 50 or so positions open. Take a look for yourself:
https://jobs.apple.com/us/search?#&ss=RF&t=1&so=&lo=0*USA&pN=0

Then, just for the hell of it, change the keyword to get other relevant hits for this forum....

It's obvious that Apple is greatly expanding their RF expertise and engineering resources. What that means for the future is anybody's guess at this time though. The mere suggestion that Apple may be capable of going their own in the future is probably significant in negotiations with Broadcom, so these guys will likely pay for themselves regardless of any actual work done.

With this, the last of the high-level executives at Apple that had any UI sense are either dead or ousted.
Blah. iOS 6 was grey and dreary at best, tacky at worst with all its skeumorphic bullcrap sprinkled heavily over everything. Skeumorphism just shows you think people using your device are idiots who don't understand anything.

Although iOS7 isn't flawless by any means, it's still a massive improvement over past iterations.

Then, just for the hell of it, change the keyword to get other relevant hits for this forum....

If you have something to say or show say or show it. I don't play this game of "hey I have information in an argument, you go search for it!"

But no, I didn't know they had all these positions, and yes that points to something (aside from poor reporting in the original article for not outright saying it - but oh well, macrumors). So yeah, clearly they're doing something with developing RF/antenna and looks like other jobs for WiFi specifically.

An indication that they're readying to replace all of their wireless components with in-house? I don't think so.

If you have something to say or show say or show it. I don't play this game of "hey I have information in an argument, you go search for it!"

You misinterpret. I meant what I said literally. Their job listings are a direct source of information about what Apple is up to at the moment and for the future from the horses mouth. Topics that come up regularly here concern CPU architecture, compilers, GPUs, and so on. So if anyone is truly interested in if they might be up to something when it comes to compiler tech (for instance), it is an easy matter to search Apples job listings, go into the relevant ones and see for yourself what they have to say to their applicants.

Indeed, I'd recommend going to the source for information instead of relying on hearsay from anonymous sources on internet fora everyday of the week and twice on Sundays. Which is why I provided the link above so that everyone could see for themselves, read the damn listings if they are truly interested, and draw their own conclusions as to why Apple is hiring.

But no, I didn't know they had all these positions, and yes that points to something (aside from poor reporting in the original article for not outright saying it - but oh well, macrumors). So yeah, clearly they're doing something with developing RF/antenna and looks like other jobs for WiFi specifically.

An indication that they're readying to replace all of their wireless components with in-house? I don't think so.

Back during antennagate in 2010, SJ did a presentation saying they'd spend $100's millions on testing chambers, and had 18 phd/engineers in a much bigger antenna/RF department.

Jony Ive shakes up Apple’s software design group, iPhone interface creator Greg Christie departing

With this, the last of the high-level executives at Apple that had any UI sense are either dead or ousted.

That article is twisted, or just fictional based on one simple fact. Greg Christie announced his intention to retire some time ago.

I asked friends in the fruit company. Someone else is already handpicked as his successor, but I don't know who. iOS7 was created by Greg Christie and Ive working together. Ive set the direction. Was told they complimented each other briefly, and joked about skeumorphism together with Craig Federigii during an iOS7 presentation to the software teams.

That article's author probably has a different agenda than just reporting, but then you knew it already. :yes:

Freaking gaming industry practically live and breathe these sort of articles. >_<

You misinterpret. I meant what I said literally. Their job listings are a direct source of information about what Apple is up to at the moment and for the future from the horses mouth. Topics that come up regularly here concern CPU architecture, compilers, GPUs, and so on. So if anyone is truly interested in if they might be up to something when it comes to compiler tech (for instance), it is an easy matter to search Apples job listings, go into the relevant ones and see for yourself what they have to say to their applicants.

Indeed, I'd recommend going to the source for information instead of relying on hearsay from anonymous sources on internet fora everyday of the week and twice on Sundays. Which is why I provided the link above so that everyone could see for themselves, read the damn listings if they are truly interested, and draw their own conclusions as to why Apple is hiring.

The catch here is though that Apple actually needs all those folks to keep up its hw and sw development even if they don't develop A, B or C hw from scratch. And from that point and onwards it gets complicated. Yes there are prospects piling up for the future but there's nothing in that bag that'll appear in next years i-whatever.

You can implement improving solar technology on anything, even on a toaster if you'd like.

That doesn't mean it's useful.

Your Casio watch has a handful of transistors on an ultra low power, ultra slow speed process. I'd be pleasantly surprised if its clock speed is part of the MHz club.

If Apple is going to create a watch, you'd at least expect it to be in constant contact with your phone over Bluetooth. That means a pretty beefy (by Casio standards) processor. And a fancy screen etc.

For the small size that it will have, I just question how much it charge it could really add.

My guess is: not much. I'd love to be proven wrong.

Your guess is absolutely correct. Given the amount of incident solar radiation and the conversion efficiency of commercially available solar panels, the amount of power generated is really low.

Lets take a panel to be used in a phone for example, say a 10cmX5cm panel (best case IMO..in reality it'll probably be smaller). The amount of incident solar radiation at any point on the earth's surface, at sea level, on a clear day and assuming the rays are completely perpendicular is about 1000 W/m2. So our 10cmX5cm panel can theoretically generate 5W of power. In real world conditions, considering location, clouds, shading, time of day affecting the angle and intensity of the rays, etc, the average figure is around 250 W/m2. So our panel is now down to 1.25 W theoretical. Conversion efficiency is in the high teens at best, so even if we take 20%, the panel can generate all of 0.25W. Hoping all my math is correct, that's barely anything. Add to this the fact that a phone is likely to be in a pocket or purse most of the time, solar panels on a phone are pretty much pointless.
It is not a watch but a mobile phone, this is in the first place and because you didn't understand, a speculation for solar powered iPhone based on existing technology and potential to be implemented by Apple only if they wish.

See above.
Direct charging of the phone isn't possible with todays smartphone power draws and usage patterns (ie, typically stuffed into pockets or purses as opposed to lying around in sunshine).
For those who desire solar charging, a number of panel-to-battery solutions exist, and then the user can fast-charge battery to battery, where "fast" is in contrast to what it would take if the phone had to trickle charge from the solar panel directly.

The concept generally doesn't work for phones. Too much has to change in order for it to be functional. Even for watches the arrangement is a bit iffy, with mechanical movement to capacitor solutions arguably working better in practise.

Competely agree with all your points. And heck..charging a power bank at home and carrying it around with you is much more practical than a panel to battery solution anyway.
Back on topic. Today's announcement by Qualcomm that its flagship SoC up to 1H 2015 will be 20nm, not 16nm FinFET and its Snapdragon 410 (ARM A53) due by Q4 2014 will be a 28 not 20nm part, does this make anyone believe that the iPhone 6 will be fabbed on a 28nm process, as the IP6 will require huge wafer volumes, and at the very least TSMC isn't ahead of schedule.

For that timeframe, Qualcomm had no choice but to go for 20nm (I also believe the decision to go with A57 was not their original plan and the part is later than it should have otherwise been). 16FinFET will not even be entering mass production until Q4'14 so I wouldn't expect any products to be out until H2'15. Snapdragon 410 is a budget part and apart from the timing and availability issues with the 20nm process, the per transistor cost was likely too high anyway (Note that even on 28nm, it is on 28LP and not on 28HPM). I wouldn't be surprised if Apple stayed on 28nm but it wouldn't be outlandish to think that they could go to 20nm by Q3'14 either.
TSMC is predicting that 20nm will ramp faster this year than 28nm did in 2012. I believe they are predicting something like 20% of their revenue from 20nm during the 4th quarter.

Absent a 20nm SoC from Qualcomm, that kind of revenue almost has to be coming from Apple.
That would be quite a ramp. For reference, TSMC's share of 28nm revenue for the last quarter of 2013 was 34%, and this is more 2 years into production. In Q3'12, which is about a year after they announced mass production, it was 13%. Besides, for a iphone to ship in Q3, the silicon will have to enter production in at least Q2 right? I suppose that its possible that Apple may be going to 20nm for the next iphone..but like I said..I wouldn't be surprised in the least if they stayed on 28nm.
From the 16th of January, 2014:

At the time, and up until Qualcomm announcement now, no one had announced any SoCs on 20nm.
So either
a, TSMC have been producing a SoC for someone who does not pre announce their products, or
b, Wei doesn't know what he is talking about.

I'll go with option a.
Couple of points:-
1. We do not know how many wafers TSMC is producing
2. Apple is not the only company which does not pre-announce their products. TSMC was expecting something around 10 tapeout's on 20SoC by H2'13 so there could be a lot of other suspects.

But I'm not completely discounting Apple..I'm just saying its not a sureshot that it has to be Apple.
My main question is, even if they do try to develop their own baseband, how would they get around the patents? (Gotta love the irony for Apple here :rolleyes:)

My main question is, even if they do try to develop their own baseband, how would they get around the patents? (Gotta love the irony for Apple here :rolleyes:)

Isn't a reasonable part of Qualcomm's revenue from their licensing agreements with other companies? In other words, wouldn't Apple be able to pay Qualcomm to be able to use their patents? The same would be true for other patent holders.

No such standard would be created without RAND licensing conditions attached to them. Yes, Apple would be required to pay Qualcomm, but the rates can't be usurious. Order of magnitude typically cents. Not dollars.

The problem has been determining what a reasonable licensing fee is for cellular patents. Motorola for example wants 2.25% of the sale price of every iPhone.
Yes. I believe they were shot down exactly because 2.25% was not considered reasonable? (Hard to keep track of all the lawsuits!)

Back