Next-Gen iPhone & iPhone Nano Speculation

I think the fingerprint reader could work great with iPad, as that device is quite often shared with family members. Each user could have their own profile, which the iPad would automatically load based on the fingerprint. So when you press the Home button, you're taken to your own unique home screen with your own apps.

I didn't watch yesterday's presentation, but I did watch the IOS 7 announcement a few months back, and I don't recall seeing any mention of multi-user support. Did I miss it then, or was it referred/implied yesterday ?

I didn't watch yesterday's presentation, but I did watch the IOS 7 announcement a few months back, and I don't recall seeing any mention of multi-user support. Did I miss it then, or was it referred/implied yesterday ?

No, but funny enough you can store 5 finger prints into the device, allowing for up to 5 ppl to access your phone.

Multi-user would indeed be great. The un-eco-friendly other OS (Phil Schiller) already has it.

But wouldn't be surprised if iPad 5 also gets finger print recog.

Just 5 fingers? That's a bit odd. Over two years ago, the Atrix (which also used an Authentec sensor), allowed 10 fingerprints to be logged!

Why the limitation, I wonder?

Nope, there's no multi-user support so I was just giving feature suggestion if someone in control decides to read this forum :)

It's interesting to see if Samsung will follow Apple. Or maybe Apple already owns all the relevant patents to this so others can't add this feature into their phones.

* polydactyly might be a problem though

Isn't everyone that is born with that mutation subject to surgery to remove the extra finger?
AFAIK, it's been like that for the past 40 years or so.

Sure, in under-developed countries it probably doesn't happen, but those aren't really apple's target audience.

Authentec seems to be the de-facto standard when it comes to fingerprint sensors, but they are obviously off limits now for the Android OEMs. Plus it wouldn't be as elegant on and Android phone - the iPhone home button seems made for this.

I think they will have to just ride this one out till on screen fingerprint scanning matures.

Two things.
1)
Do you not think it is very un-apple like to NOT announce this new chip as Quad-Core 64-bit. I would have thought marketing would have been all over the fact that they had gone quad core. Or in the opposite view, would want to ensure people knew they weren't still "only" using dual core.

They didn't include in their A5 presentation that they moved to dual core either. All they said was 2x CPU speed and 9x GPU speed.

They didn't include in their A5 presentation that they moved to dual core either. All they said was 2x CPU speed and 9x GPU speed.

Well obviously they won't mention the number of cores if it shows them in a bad light against quad core competitors. The last time they mentioned the number of cores in a keynote was with the dual-core A5. The leading Android phones were all also dual core at the time.

http://obamapacman.com/2011/03/ipad-2-apple-keynote-video-download/ipad-2-keynote-034/

http://cdn.imore.com/sites/imore.co...1/10/Screen-Shot-2011-10-17-at-5.26.37-PM.png

Ummm so did they or did they not mention dual core in the A5 reveal. Could understand why they wouldn't mention it in the A6, as it wasn't any different in that regard to the A5.

Dual core was one of their big marketing points with A5, especially because the concept covered both the GPU and CPU for that updated SoC.

Still, I wouldn't use the logic of whether they promoted dual core or not last time as any strong evidence for quad core either way this time.

I think GfxBench scores should turn out decent, though not dominating. Two times the graphics performance was likely in relation to FLOPs, and Rogue seems to deliver more real performance per FLOP than SGX. All together, it'll be a high performing SoC for graphics.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think GfxBench scores should turn out decent, though not dominating by any stretch of the imagination. Two times the graphics performance was likely in relation to FLOPs, and Rogue seems to deliver more real performance per FLOP than SGX. All together, it'll be a high performing SoC for graphics.

I'd change "graphics" for "such a small screen".

The fact that the iphone is still stuck to a relatively small screen makes it easier to punch out a nice per-pixel performance and battery life. Easier than the 4.7-5" behemoths we've seen this year, at least.

They did mention core count in the A5 reveal, but apple is not a company to drop lots of deeply technical specs in their presentations, as technical gearhead people isn't really part of their target audience. They prefer people to think of their devices like magic - "it just works", and so on. How many cores is in the phone an apple customer just bought generally scores about -8 on the give-a-shit scale.

I never understood this 'Apple doesn't boast about specs' business. Core count, mhz, RAM, number of 'bits' and so on are not 'deeply technical' but high level specs. Apple can and does use them when they have an edge over their competitors.

Single vs Dual core is one example. Another is Mhz. When was the last time you remember Apple mention the clock speed of a CPU? It was during the original iPad reveal where they were proud of the fact it was running at 1ghz, which was amongst the highest at the time. Every subsequent reveal failed to mention clocks because they were substantially lower than the competetion.

Yesterday they even talked about the size of the pixels on their camera, die size and transistor count of the SOC etc.

If they had a 2ghz quad core CPU and 2gb of RAM, I have no doubt they would want the world to know about it. It would be daft not to.

Ummm so did they or did they not mention dual core in the A5 reveal. Could understand why they wouldn't mention it in the A6, as it wasn't any different in that regard to the A5.

I stand corrected, it looks like they did mention dual-core afterall. Laughing at the "in volume" part, back then all "in volume" tablets were Apple!

But they couldn't very well make that claim again with quad-core now.

Apple can still be pretty sparse with their information, and not necessarily in a consistent way. They made a huge fuss over A4 being this big custom Apple SoC despite looking awfully similar to the chip it was replacing (same CPU, same GPU..). But when they roll out a totally custom CPU design in A6 they don't say a word about it, just a vague indication that performance is up now.

Like some have allready pointed, they will not put emphasis on specification, where it can an bring trouble to the message they want to deliver during the keynote.. it simple as that, and from a marketing point of view, its totally normal. You have a message to deliver, you want it clear and without noise, hence why thes specification delivered are well choose. Nothing wrong there.

I never understood this 'Apple doesn't boast about specs' business. Core count, mhz, RAM, number of 'bits' and so on are not 'deeply technical' but high level specs. Apple can and does use them when they have an edge over their competitors.

Single vs Dual core is one example. Another is Mhz. When was the last time you remember Apple mention the clock speed of a CPU? It was during the original iPad reveal where they were proud of the fact it was running at 1ghz, which was amongst the highest at the time. Every subsequent reveal failed to mention clocks because they were substantially lower than the competetion.

Yesterday they even talked about the size of the pixels on their camera, die size and transistor count of the SOC etc.

If they had a 2ghz quad core CPU and 2gb of RAM, I have no doubt they would want the world to know about it. It would be daft not to.

Last edited by a moderator:
I stand corrected, it looks like they did mention dual-core afterall. Laughing at the "in volume" part, back then all "in volume" tablets were Apple!

But they couldn't very well make that claim again with quad-core now.

Apple can still be pretty sparse with their information, and not necessarily in a consistent way. They made a huge fuss over A4 being this big custom Apple SoC despite looking awfully similar to the chip it was replacing (same CPU, same GPU..). But when they roll out a totally custom CPU design in A6 they don't say a word about it, just a vague indication that performance is up now.

I don't think they've ever quoted what GPU they're using specifically.

Back