Next-Gen iPhone & iPhone Nano Speculation

Please, you gain a lot more from a 64-bit ISA than "it can address more than 4GB of RAM" ...

That's certainly not what we've seen with x86.

Furthermore, anand seems to disagree with you:

anandtech said:
If the 5S doesn't have a ton of RAM, then this move is purely to enable the dev community - Apple being very proactive on dealing with the 64-bit navigation

What do you mean? Performance-oriented applications benefit from the architectural changes.

x264 is ~10% faster in 64 bit. I believe the same applies to Cinebench, but I've no personal experience with that.

And how is 10% "a lot more"?

The dropped the "this is SLR level" comment about the camera. Yay for trying to be taken seriously.
Larger pixels (1.5um), which is cool. Still no OIS, which is less cool.

Fingerprint sensor, now.

The dropped the "this is SLR level" comment about the camera. Yay for trying to be taken seriously.
Larger pixels (1.5um), which is cool. Still no OIS, which is less cool.

Fingerprint sensor, now.

Now that is cool, looking at how they assembled it into the home button ;-)

Think Apple should step up on the camera. Agreed that the mega pixel race in smart phones is BS, but
then go for a really large sensor or take the Nokia approach where binning is used to maximize SNR ->
better low light. You can achieve only so much with trickery (think he mentioned auto-tone curve blah blah).

For single thread performance, 10% is quite a lot, especially considering that's just from an architectural change.

Further, 64 bits is not just about 4GB RAM. For example, current iOS is only able to do memory mapped file up to about 700MB. A 64 bits system will be able to do much larger memory mapped file.

There are also other smaller benefits, such as larger space for tagged pointers.

Looks like there is OpenGL ES 3.0 support. It isn't available on the PowerVR Series 5 but is available on PowerVR Series 6...

I think the move towards 64bit might signal plans to converge desktop and mobile market. I wonder how long it will take from apple to make/replace intel based macbook air computers with arm processor. Maybe even running ios...

I think the move towards 64bit might signal plans to converge desktop and mobile market. I wonder how long it will take from apple to make/replace intel based macbook air computers with arm processor. Maybe even running ios...

Apple has made architectural transitions many times in the past. It's a good idea not to wait until you're squeezed up against the wall. Personally, I think it's as simple as that. They've had access to the ISA, it offers immediate advantages, and they are early out of the gate in making the transition. Advantages all around.

For single thread performance, 10% is quite a lot, especially considering that's just from an architectural change.

Except this 10% comes from a very specific task (decoding x264) and it's not an enhancement that presents itself across the board.
When the first 64bit CPUs started to appear, I remember seeing how all those new 64bit made specifically for the new processors would bring little more than 3-5% performance improvements, if at all.

The 64bit implementation seems to be more developer oriented than a performance/efficiency-enhancing measure.

I'd bet most of the performance delta between A6 and A7 comes from the A7 allowing for much higher clocks, even if it's in burst periods.

The iPad SoCs were heading in the right direction with increasing GPU:CPU silicon ratios, but the iPhone SoCs hadn't quite been following suit.

It seems that will unfortunately hold true again for another generation.

I think we can all agree that marketing is the biggest advantage that 64bit brings to the iPhone 5. It's a great card to play when you get there first.

Apple specifically pointed out the 2x increase in registers which seems like a very technical term for the general media. Did previous ARM CPUs really experience that much register pressure to make the register increase noteworthy or did they simply point it out because 2x sounds impressive?

Except this 10% comes from a very specific task (decoding x264) and it's not an enhancement that presents itself across the board.
When the first 64bit CPUs started to appear, I remember seeing how all those new 64bit made specifically for the new processors would bring little more than 3-5% performance improvements, if at all.

I think that's more to do with the fact that x64 Windows was not very popular until Windows 7. On the other hand, Apple chose to make iOS 7 64 bits from start, and that's good for people optimizing for 64 bits.

Back