Next-Gen iPhone & iPhone Nano Speculation

Well what are we discussing here? From a consumer product point of view it's of course fair to compare out-the-box, but I thought we're talking about handheld technology, as per name of this forum. Same argument applies to the camera rants. What's the point of going into detail of gamut ranges and all of that then if we're not comparing the technology itself?

Well what are we discussing here? From a consumer product point of view it's of course fair to compare out-the-box, but I thought we're talking about handheld technology, as per name of this forum. Same argument applies to the camera rants. What's the point of going into detail of gamut ranges and all of that then if we're not comparing the technology itself?

This isn't a purely scientific discussion though. It's a consumer product, so marketing and presentation matter. One of the reasons I use iOS devices rather than android devices is the lack of tinkering or customization I have to do to get it where I like it, and many others don't want to have to tinker just to make things look right or perform how they want. That's my approach.

Ah, can see your point!

Hadn't caught up on all the discussion related to the cameras, whoops.

Can you calibrate the screen manually on the Samsung Galaxy SIII? The main advantage of OLED is real blacks at the expense of brightness and battery consumption, right?

Ah, can see your point!

Can you calibrate the screen manually on the Samsung Galaxy SIII? The main advantage of OLED is real blacks at the expense of brightness and battery consumption, right?

OLED has virtually off blacks and great contrast as a result. It's also very thin. The problem is that it consumes more power than a comparable LCD in white situations, isn't quite at the same pixel density yet, and has some issues with pixel lifetimes (although that has improved a lot).

OLED has virtually off blacks and great contrast as a result. It's also very thin. The problem is that it consumes more power than a comparable LCD in white situations, isn't quite at the same pixel density yet, and has some issues with pixel lifetimes (although that has improved a lot).

A downside I'm finding also is that they can't handle sunlight very well at all. They need a special filter overlay if you'd want to be able to use them in the sun, basically. Not really a big issue for me, but I can imagine that in sunnier climates this could be a big nuisance.

Ah, can see your point!

Amoleds have much better response times also, they are
very inefficient

A downside I'm finding also is that they can't handle sunlight very well at all. They need a special filter overlay if you'd want to be able to use them in the sun, basically. Not really a big issue for me, but I can imagine that in sunnier climates this could be a big nuisance.

In sunnier climates like ours, you don't stay all too long in the sun anyway :LOL:

Because part of what makes a product a product is the reason consumers would like/buy a product...whsts the point in having a ton of camera features that can't be used with going through various menus and getting thread menu out? The thing that makes the lumia great is it takes the best photos (I'm assuming here) and is total easy to use.

Wow, I didn't know Chania was in Crete. How's the mobile network?

Soon enough people should be able to compare the screens on these devices at the shops, rather than rely only on benchmarks.

The display on the S3 for example is very bad in that regard, it does not have true blacks, nor did the S2 for that matter. The diodes are still being fed current and are never shut off, no matter what people will tell you. The S3 is atrocious as an OLED screen in this regard as the backlight-bleed (for no better name of it, I'm aware it's not technically correct) is very present.
Amoleds have much better response times also, they are
very inefficient
Response time which is totally irrelevant as we're driving it at 60Hz anyway and the response time is dictated by the display driver not the screen display itself.

Power efficiency is also more a design and engineering problem than an actual physical constraint of using OLEDs. This research paper goes into of the possible efficiency gains just by simple display algorithm change in how the diodes are powered, and what voltage and current they are fed. We have 20 to 50% efficiency gains without change in hardware and only minor colour accuracy hit at the same brightness output.

Ah, can see your point!

You can calibrate the screen through mDNIe profiles, this involves of course either configuration through the source code and kernel/driver recompilation or hooking a sysinterface to the respective registers for user-space real-time configuration. There are about 30 registers each changing a display property. These are currently undocumented for outside people and in need of reverse-engineering to get a proper product / calibration method.

Another advantage that may not be clear to the end-user but more interesting to the manufacturers is the display thinness, allowing equipment of larger internal components, or thinner devices.

Because part of what makes a product a product is the reason consumers would like/buy a product...whsts the point in having a ton of camera features that can't be used with going through various menus and getting thread menu out? The thing that makes the lumia great is it takes the best photos (I'm assuming here) and is total easy to use.
It takes 3 clicks on the camera interface to enter night mode or just two if you shortcut it onto the quick-setting bar. And unless you are running in and out of the house in the middle of the night, there is no need to further change this mode. It is an idiotic argument for the measurement of empirical capabilities or worth of a product. A review of quality of a product is a bad review of quality of a product if it does not encompass or at least mention optional capabilities. By that rhetoric let's just get rid of any and all settings in technology for the sake of simplicity, most end-users won't use it right?

Yea fair enough..but I'm assuming they just a short time with the phone...testing all phones know the setting 95% of consumers would have been interested in/bothered to use seems like a worthwhile, fair test.

You can get too bogged down in this setting that setting but let's be honest here no one really likes pissing about with all that nonsense when your going out for a drink with mates, on s trip etc...we on this forum will be more likely to...most people really can't be arsed.

Was this posted already? Cooks apologizes for the failure called Maps
http://www.apple.com/letter-from-tim-cook-on-maps/

I wonder if Maps would have launched with IOS 6 if Jobs had been alive.

A few other fumbles with IOS 6:
All http requests are now cached by default, including those performed by JS. Every single app using HTML+JS frameworks like NimbleKit broke. It wasn't like that in the beta and it had everybody scrambling 10 days ago.
Webkit gaffe: backgrounds in png format with repeat-x aren't displayed.

Cheers

In sunnier climates like ours, you don't stay all too long in the sun anyway :LOL:
Well, you would if you are a sun-starved nord on vacation... :LOL:

Wow, I didn't know Chania was in Crete.
Crete is heaven on earth as far as I'm concerned...except for the traffic. Greeks drive like drunken maniacs the lot of them. :p It's so beautiful there though you can forget such details. The food is so lovely and the people are nice, the mediterranean is amazing and the nature is awesome. As long as you don't get stung by mosquitoes or step on a sea urchin while bathing...

The question is more, if Intel is interested in fabbing custom chips for Apple?
Apple has A LOT of money. Intel loves money. That's a good incentive.

On the other hand, intel wants to take over the phone space with its shitty x86 architecture, and apple is pretty much the biggest stumbling block to that happening (there are more blocks than just apple of course...), so intel probably doesn't want to give apple any extra advantages in the form of the most advanced silicon process on the planet. I swear I don't get that company; they had the chance to start fresh with something new and good in a marketspace where backwards compatibility don't mean diddly, and they still continue building on the same tired old junk that they once tried to replace back in the 90s with itanic.

I wonder if Maps would have launched with IOS 6 if Jobs had been alive.
perhaps one thing they wouldnt of done was apologize though and admit its not that great, I upgraded to IOS6 and now my house is b&w instead of color :)
Ive noticed a couple of things, xcode is now about half speed, but doesnt seem to crash as much
also with shaders using pow and negative numbers now gives correct results, I wonder how many apps this broke

Back