Next-Gen iPhone & iPhone Nano Speculation

It can't be, it must be rogue as a site has already stated its twice as fast as A5x...whether they got there information wrong?

Regardless, it's a cortex A15 beast..running at UN known frequency..I'm guessing 1.2 ghz....probably 1 gb ram and an unknown gpu, all on 32nm lte on 28nm, new ISP, new ultra fast connector....new ips screen....7.6inch thin...with a better battery!!!....crazy.

I don't like apple personally, but I have to admit this is probably the best phone in the world....the only apple product I have ever wanted.

Anand just removed his article stating its using Cortex A15 but the original comment is still left on the live blog

So, it's iAmazing with zero new features (meaning features not already done by others or Apple themselves earlier) except for the iMiraclous Lightning-plug, which is kinda like microUSB except that unlike microUSB, it isn't actually compatible with anything but iPhone 5 without huge junky adapter, which makes it compatible with old Apple plug but nothing else

edit:
Engadget's "what's changed" http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/12/iphone-5-whats-changed/

How about we actually wait and see if it's an A15 (I suspect not...).
So far I don't see why the new SoC couldn't be a higher clocked and slightly modified 32nm A5. It would just be pathetic for Apple to name such a thing A6. Marketing department's growing influence (like AT&T "4G" last year...)?

So, it's iAmazing with zero new features (meaning features not already done by others or Apple themselves earlier) except for the iMiraclous Lightning-plug, which is kinda like microUSB except that unlike microUSB, it isn't actually compatible with anything but iPhone 5 without huge junky adapter, which makes it compatible with old Apple plug but nothing else

edit:
Engadget's "what's changed" http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/12/iphone-5-whats-changed/
Well with a 2x performance increase it would appear to have the fastest smartphone GPU once again, possibly the first shipping Cortex A15 implementation, world-mode LTE, claims to be the thinnest smartphone which I guess is their take against the biggest smartphone screen crown, and a display with full sRGB gamut support which I believe is a first for a smartphone. I wouldn't call any of it revolutionary, but that's hardly Apple bringing nothing to the table.

Personally I'm impressed they were able to put a 5MP camera with autofocus with only 6.1mm to work with in the iPod Touch.

Last edited by a moderator:
It all depends on how Apple came up with 2X CPU. In order for it to be a higher clocked A5, the CPUs would have to be clocked at 1,6 GHz wich is pretty high even with a dieshrink. Now add in LTE on essentially the same old size battery and iPhone might no longer be known for its battery life

2X CPU could also be quad A9s (marketing wise)

Or its dual 800 MHz Cortex A15s

It's not "world-mode LTE", at least europe gets limited to HSDPA

edit:
img0134.jpg

Personally I'm impressed they were able to put a 5MP camera with autofocus with only 6.1mm to work in the iPod Touch.
The new iPod touch looks good. Too bad it starts at $299 for 32GB.

It's also interesting that the old $199 iPod touch got bumped to 16GB and 32GB are just $50 more (and no more 8GB version). That's a first. I'm wondering what that means for the rumored iPad mini...

Well with a 2x performance increase it would appear to have the fastest smartphone GPU once again, possibly the first shipping Cortex A15 implementation, world-mode LTE, claims to be the thinnest smartphone which I guess is their take against the biggest smartphone screen crown, and a display with full sRGB gamut support which I believe is a first for a smartphone. I wouldn't call any of it revolutionary, but that's hardly Apple bringing nothing to the table.

Personally I'm impressed they were able to put a 5MP camera with autofocus with only 6.1mm to work with in the iPod Touch.

The official site states that A6 is 2 times faster than "A5", not "A5X"...still SGX 543 mp4?

No, "Europe" gets LTE too. I saw at least a LTE slide with the UK and Germany. But only T-mobile in Germany. I guess that means no 2600MHz support, since AFAIK T-Mobile is the only carrier to use 1800MHz in the cities.

Edit: Wow, three different iPhone 5 versions. And no support for 800MHz and 2600MHz in Europe. That's weak compared to the Lumia 920 which supports all three major european bands (800/1800/2600).
http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

The official site states that A6 is 2 times faster than "A5", not "A5X"...still SGX 543 mp4?
Weren't people commenting before that Rogue may be further off in time to market than Cortex A15? So Cortex A15 + SGX543MP4 might make sense.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

Yes, it looks like 1 GSM model with LTE for US and Canada and 1 GSM model with LTE in the rest of the world. Not really unified world-mode. Interestingly, the CDMA model with LTE is a superset of the "rest of the world" GSM model, but I guess they didn't want to unnecessarily include CDMA components in iPhones sold in other regions which would otherwise go unused.

EDIT: Looks like Mike11 beat me too it.

Oh. And it looks like the iPod Touch finally gets an IPS display with oleophobic coating. It's still missing a digital compass though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Samsung manufacture the iPhone soc...and they have exynos 5250 ready to roll...so I can see a window of opportunity there.

To get 2x cpu and double gpu performance in the same or better power envelope with lte ALL in a crazy thin 7.6mm chassis is quite frankly ridiculous....so much so I'm not sure I can believe it's possible on current technology.

Using a9s you would be looking at around 1.6-1.8ghz with faster fsb and likely faster lpddr 2- 1066 ram.....on 32nm I suppose that's feasible...but so is dual cortex a15 @ 1-1.2 ghz?.

It's the gpu that seems incredible...2x a5 iPhone is stupidly fast....must be clocking that mp2 @ 500mhz...I doubt it's mp4 and or quad a9s...they state it's a smaller die than a5..

I thought a world LTE phone was going to be very difficult or impossible to achieve, because a wider range of bands, amplifiers and antenna configurations would be needed.

It may be that once more countries come online with LTE, there will be more segmenting of SKUs.

It may be that once more countries come online with LTE, there will be more segmenting of SKUs.
Even more segmenting of SKUs? We already have three (cellular) SKUs with the iPhone 5 AND the european SKU is seriously lacking support for the most widely used LTE bands...
Worldphone and missing LTE bands, that would be sad but understandable. But different SKUs AND missing LTE bands?

What exactly is the state of LTE in Europe?

My sense was they were well behind North America in deployment?

So how widely used are those Euro LTE bands? How do other manufacturers handle LTE in other countries? If I'm not mistaken, companies like Samsung not only have different basebands for different regions, they have different SOCs.

I thought a world LTE phone was going to be very difficult or impossible to achieve, because a wider range of bands, amplifiers and antenna configurations would be needed.

Well, Lumia 920 at least offers it, possibly 820 too, dunno. iPhone 5 doesn't.

What exactly is the state of LTE in Europe?

My sense was they were well behind North America in deployment?

So how widely used are those Euro LTE bands? How do other manufacturers handle LTE in other countries? If I'm not mistaken, companies like Samsung not only have different basebands for different regions, they have different SOCs.
Yes, Europe is well behind North America in deployment (but we have pretty fast (DC)-HSPA(+) networks and can easily switch between them, so the need for LTE was less severe).
But most European carriers are deploying 800MHz and 2600MHz, not 1800MHz. E.g. in Germany we have 4 carriers and 3 are deploying 800MHz and 2600MHz, but just one 1800MHz.
I understand that's it's difficult to support ALL bands. All I'm saying is that IF you make different SKUs, do them right (e.g. Lumia 920 supports 800/900/1800/2100/2600 LTE).

Are you sure one phone contains support for all those bands? My understanding was that for LTE, it wasn't just the bands but amplifiers and antennas.

Anyways, iPhone supports all the DC-HSPA carriers in Europe, apparently.

Which baseband is Nokia using? Apple is obviously using Qualcomm's.

Back