Asus IS making ATI cards

Something hot, I bet!

Sorry, I'll turn the silly dial down from 11.

I was under the impression that Asus was going to be making cards from both manuf.

Can't blame Asus given nVIDIA's piss poor performance, products and the fact that they've left their ODMs in the lurch for how many months? When the revenue numbers take a big hit... time to look for another partner. Not to mention ATI has executed well and had superior parts on the market for a while.

Something is strange with that Asus/ati supposed deal. A french website posted the news 2 hours ago th with a pic then removed the news 45 mn later. As i doubt they are under any nda with asus for that, i find things rather disturbing.

They've certainly made heavy use of ATI's retail packaging style:

K8VDeluxe3DBOX.gif

digitalwanderer said:
I'm sorry, but does anyone else think that is just a beautiful looking bit-o-kit?

I do. :)

The copper is nice, but two small fans is a backwards step. Fans that small ususally have to run fast, and thet makes them NOISY - and there's two of them! Just when everyone else wants bigger, slower, quieter fans.
If it's silent, it's fine, if it's noisy, it's a backwards step.

[Yes I know these R360 models will have temperature control, but that just means the fans could be very noisy when you use the card hard - not acceptable to me.]

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
The copper is nice, but two small fans is a backwards step. Fans that small ususally have to run fast, and thet makes them NOISY - and there's two of them! Just when everyone else wants bigger, slower, quieter fans.

I agree completely. I'm more interested in ATI's "stock" cooling solution at the moment. I'm also interested in that recently seen dual slot cooling solution for ATI cards.

My primary concerns are
1) Noise
2) Rejection of heat from the case.

2 is not always a concern for everyone...as they just rely on case fans. However, I'm considering an Antec Sonata case for my new machine, which might need some assistance in heat rejection when some of these high powered GPUs are in use...

Quite true about larger fans being better - I've just modded my Shuttle system so that it is running a 120mm fan out the back at low speed and this almost inaudible. The PSU, on the other hand has a 40mm fan and, even though I've replaced this with a quieter one, still makes a hell of a lot more noise than the bigger fan even though it's only moving about a 10th of the air!

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
digitalwanderer said:
I'm sorry, but does anyone else think that is just a beautiful looking bit-o-kit?

I do. :)

[Yes I know these R360 models will have temperature control, but that just means the fans could be very noisy when you use the card hard - not acceptable to me.]
I dunno, looking at that picture it looks like one fan blows and the other sucks to get a nice breeze going in the cooler...and if it has fan speed controls it's probably more on the quiet side.

Heck, I could be wrong...I'm just all excited that Asus is making a 9800XT. (Oh and I think the reason some of those links are going dead is because some of the info on 'em is NOT supposed to be public knowledge yet...hint-hint. ;) )

Looks like ati puts AGP 1.0 to rest with the 9800XT - the 9800 at least half-officially supported 3.3V signaling, but now the connector definitely won't fit (just like the 9600) into that good old bx board...

mczak said:
Looks like ati puts AGP 1.0 to rest with the 9800XT - the 9800 at least half-officially supported 3.3V signaling, but now the connector definitely won't fit (just like the 9600) into that good old bx board...

/ me looks lovingly at my MSI BXMaster rig....

Back