Zelda: Skyward Sword

sfried

Regular
So it looks like the animation and some of the geometry (most notably trees/the pinwheels in the background of the second video trailer) have been improved since last years E3. Granted they seem to be using some sort of blur/Cezanne filter to cover up for the limitations (textures), but the artstyle is still quite vivid:
[gt]715831[/gt]
[gt]715310[/gt]

I wonder what the Dolphin shots would reveal seeing how they're counting on that saturated look.

What do you mean by "killed waggling" ? It's one-one tracking now or the game uses classical controller instead ?

What do you mean by "killed waggling" ? It's one-one tracking now or the game uses classical controller instead ?
1-to-1 tracking as you've said (if you haven't been informed, it uses Motion+ exclusively). However you can't abuse it like many people have speculated as the way you do your strikes count and strikes also take up an endurance meter.
[gt]715773[/gt]

I see. How does it solve the movement problem ? Still using the nunchuck ?
Nunchuck stick is for character movement. Wii Remote is now one-to-one with sword, and how you position it/stance it shows where you're striking from when you hit. You need to make a properly angled swing with the enemies as they block you from certain angles and even change their stances.

Of note is the fact that there is now a Shield Gauge. Still looking up how this factors in combat.

Also based on the boss battle, it looks like there are enemies that will not telegraph their moves or will even counter your strikes.
[gt]715357[/gt]

Yea... I'm sure Wiimote+ can be programmed to track arm movement accurately and quickly. Body movement is a little tricky to handle. I don't want the character to follow my body movement "as is", it will take too much space and effort. Yet I find navcon/nunchunk handling a little unnatural. Complex menuveur like circling the enemy, lunge, roll are essential melee skills. Would be cool if Nintendo found a perfect solution. ^_^

Yet I find navcon/nunchunk handling a little unnatural. Complex menuveur like circling the enemy, lunge, roll are essential melee skills. Would be cool if Nintendo found a perfect solution. ^_^
What navcon? How would nunchuck feel unnatural? You can lock on and circle around enemies via Z-targeting like in previous game, only enemies are smart enough to turn and keep facing you as you circle around them.

The Motion+ has always meant to represent your sword. Ever since last year's E3 and the year before that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know. If both hands are using thumb, wrist or arm together, I'm fine. If one hand uses thumb while the other swings around, I find it a little awkward. Probably just me ?

EDIT: navcon is Sony's version of nunchuck

I don't know. If both hands are using thumb, wrist or arm together, I'm fine. If one hand uses thumb while the other swings around, I find it a little awkward. Probably just me ?

EDIT: navcon is Sony's version of nunchuck
I think the nunchuck is used for the shield (thrust nunchuck to shieldbop, move it around to deflect from certain angles), which could explain why there is a dedicated meter for it.

More playthroughs of the three demo areas:
Edit: E3 is noisy as a reminder, so the music in the background is coming from other booths.
To hear what the actual in-game music is, watch the IGN or Gamespot videos with audio recording.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh wait, Nintendo's nunchuck has an accelerometer. That's why you can swing both hands (1 sword and 1 shield). Yeah, I think that feels more natural. After you lock on to the enemy, do you use the nunchuck thumbstick to circle the enemy ? This is the tricky part. I'm thinking if there's another way to execute combat movement like circling using the new Wii U pad. The balance board would help but it's too expensive.

... because traditional controller is more stable and easier to control with both hands. When you're fighting with motion controllers, it's awkward to twiddle my thumb at the same time.

I highly respect that they went this direction with Motion+ support. Motion+ is not 1:1 btw - you'll see that it is more like Wii Sports resort, only tracking rotational movement but that's good enough. In battles in Zelda I'm sure you'll lock on to one enemy at the time and then keep facing him automatically.

But I would pay good money for something like Skyrim to support Sports Champions style battle. In that regard Deadmund is a nice step in the right direction, but still cowardly. 1:1 swordfighting (or battle in general) is so incredibly satisfying.

... because traditional controller is more stable and easier to control with both hands. When you're fighting with motion controllers, it's awkward to twiddle my thumb at the same time.

1. You can perfectly hold a nunchuck with one hand.
2. If you have ever played with the wii you'd know there is nothing awkward about swining the wii remote and using the nunchuck stick at the same time.

Maybe it is for you, but not for most people. Certainly its a lot less awkward than using a balance board to move around.

Yes, using balance board for movement will be awkward and expensive. So you think nun chuck is the best we can do for movement control ?

Yes, using balance board for movement will be awkward and expensive. So you think nun chuck is the best we can do for movement control ?

On the Wii, yes, in many cases, though there are plenty of scenarios where I think just the pointer could be enough, and you'd maybe only use the Nunchuck for some extra buttons. I thought the Dungeon Hunter game on PSN for instance does quite well with pointing for movement as well as attack. But I've also played many games with Move and DS3 on PS3 now and I think that's perfectly fine. On the other hand, I do think there are quite a few scenarios where I would personally prefer dual Move control. I think two Motion+ controllers could work quite well in various scenarios too.

Yeah, dual Wiimote+ feels more natural.

Too bad camera-based tracking can't quite replace the nunchuck/navcon.

Back