GF4 Ti GPUs

rAvEN^Rd

Newcomer
I have a question regarding the GF4 Ti GPUs. All of the mentioned GPUs enjoy the exact same features. Is it reasonable to assume that Nvidia only produces one kind of Titanium GPU and then decides if it's a Ti4200, Ti4400 or Ti4600 depending on performance? I believe Intel did (or does) something similar with their CPUs. It wouldn't make much sense to create three kinds of similar GPUs just to limit the frequency.

Am I right?

Essentially yes, For a given yield they will test chips and segregate them into performance categories based on stability at a given clockspeed/voltage. Generally the slower ASICs will become Ti4200s and the faster ones will be Ti4600's, although obviously some companies (such as Gainward) get "prime" examples to use in some of their products... either that or they are given an assortment of chips and do the segregation themselves.

MuFu.

Does this describe the manufacturing process of a Titanium board?

1. Nvidia manufactures the chips and sorts them according to category

2. Board manufacturers buys the chips and combines them with suitable memory.

To what extent can they choose memory? It can't be slower than the reference and still carry the GF4 name can it? It's not even always allowed to be faster, right?

3. The board manufacturer optionally alters layout and cooling (if allowed by NVIDIA).

4. Reference drivers are adapted and software bundled. Documentation is added.

5. To the shops!

Have I missed something really important?

That would be 4.5 right?

What about VIVO. They can choose not to add this function at all can't they? They can naturally choose to include adapters and cables too.

Back