Trials: evolution. [xbla]

One thing I noticed in the gamersyde vid is it doesn't look like the bikes wheels are making contact with the track. Everything else looks awesome!

At first I was "where are all the improvements sebbbi talked about?", but then I scrutinized the backgrounds and was really impressed by all the detail. Multiplayer mode is the more essential part of this sequel, nonetheless great job on the graphics!

The type of camera action now reminds me of that old 2.5D platformer Pandemonium. :) Also, it gives me the impression that you've been toying around with 3D displays ... ;)

I would NEVER play this game in 3D, ever...Trials was one of those controller breaking games and my 3D glasses were $160 apiece!

Not sure if these have been posted, but looking really good:
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/pax-2011-trials-evolution/720013
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/pax-2011-trials-evolution/720015

sebbbi: the graphics are looking really nice and I'm impressed with the shadows! They make some high-end PC games look bad in comparison :p There's a couple places where geometry (and associated shadows) are visible sort of popping in, most noticably on that 60fps video you linked on some of the track segments, but I assume that's required LOD stuff?

When the camera pans to be horizontal you can definitely see some temporal aliasing, but I can appreciate that there's not really a great way to do MSAA or similar efficiently on the 360 right now. Still, I enjoy that your shadows are less aliased than the primary rays :D

Can't wait to try it out and play around with the new editor!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, so did I hear right: motorcross MP local 4 way and online + multiplayer with the ghosts on normal tracks? Or just ghosts? Because playing live against a friend and just seeing their ghosts... muwaha AWESOME! I am set to get 2 copies of this game.

Please release tonight--if you don't there will be no reason to get BF3 and FM4 next month :| I save all year for those 2 only for Trials to take up all free gaming time. Ohhh the irony.

Besides, better depth perception wouldn't add anything to the game.
Actually depth perception is really critical in this game. Trials 2 SE (our 2007 released Trials series game) had multiple selectable camera modes ("2d" style, Trials HD-style 3d camera, third person camera, cinematic cameras, etc). Once you learned the game using one of these camera modes, it was really hard to play in other camera modes, just because you did see the track in slightly different angle and perspective (jumps became slightly too short or long). It's very hard to quickly scan the proportions of different obstacles and pits and angles of slopes if the camera isn't really consistent, since it's hard to have proper depth perception just by looking a fast moving 2d image. In Trials HD development, we tried to put many fancy looking camera sequences in the tracks, but most of them were removed later on, because the game play just becomes too hard with changing camera, but without proper 3d depth perception. I have to say that Trials style precision sensitive 2.5D game really benefits from it. It's to much easier to see the track properly when you can sense the 3d world better.
sebbbi: the graphics are looking really nice and I'm impressed with the shadows! They make some high-end PC games look bad in comparison :p There's a couple places where geometry (and associated shadows) are visible sort of popping in, most noticably on that 60fps video you linked on some of the track segments, but I assume that's required LOD stuff?

When the camera pans to be horizontal you can definitely see some temporal aliasing, but I can appreciate that there's not really a great way to do MSAA or similar efficiently on the 360 right now. Still, I enjoy that your shadows are less aliased than the primary rays :D
The Gamescom/PAX build is pretty old, and lots of content is missing and unfinalized... among them lot of object LODs. Many objects pop in/out sooner than they will in the final game. Shadow LOD selection also had a bug in that build (visible and shadow mesh rendering should of course always use the same LOD state, or you get ugly flickering and self shadowing acne like you see in those vids).

MSAA is viable on current consoles, but not quite for 60 fps game targeting the current graphics quality standards. I would personally love to have more fine gained tiled deferred like Black Rock used in Split Second (4x4 tiles), so we could separate tiles containing aliased edges from the tiles not requiring antialiasing. This would make MSAA much more viable in a deferred renderer. Coarse grained 4x4 tile based shadow map sampling would also speed up things nicely, since you would only need to do pixel precision EVSM lookups for the pixels in tiles that contain shadow edges (other tiles would be either 100% lit or skip the light completely, neither requiring any shadow map sampling). But generating all the shadow masks, edge masks, etc for the 4x4 tiling is unfortunately (slightly) too much additional work to do in 16 ms (all our lights are dynamic, and we have lots of them). But next gen could bring us back to MSAA, since compute shaders (and the extra performance) make more fine grained tile based deferred rendering more viable.
Hey, so did I hear right: motorcross MP local 4 way and online + multiplayer with the ghosts on normal tracks? Or just ghosts? Because playing live against a friend and just seeing their ghosts... muwaha AWESOME! I am set to get 2 copies of this game.
We have both local and global multiplayer with four lane tracks (4 players). And also we have online multiplayer (up to 4 players) on any single player track (you see other players as ghost bikes). The single player mode also has leaderboard based ghosts.

Please release tonight--if you don't there will be no reason to get BF3 and FM4 next month :| I save all year for those 2 only for Trials to take up all free gaming time. Ohhh the irony.
Sorry, too much things to finalize. It's not going to be out tomorrow :(

Thanks sebbbi! I would have been happy with MP being real-time ghosts on the SP maps. The fact you added this + the 4 player motorcross makes me smile. More isn't always better but it really seems like you are packing the new Trials with features that make it impossible NOT to buy.

I think some of us are going to start a wall-of-shame campaign against our friends who fail to buy the new Trials. I think the best surprise this gen has been games like Toy Soldiers, MNC, and of course Trials offering compelling gameplay packages that often exceed retail releases. I had more fun with trials than almost all my retail games.

Btw, your leadboards are perfect. The only thing I could think to make them better would be "challenges" feature to specifically broadcast a certain course you want to challenge people on. Or an alert system about your high scores bested, etc.

Sounds great! I think you'll have a sale from me, and my son loves to watch me play this (soon he can
join me).

Also nice to read I was right about the 3D ;)

Cool, thanks for the answers sebbbi. All makes sense :)

Looking forward to playing the game - looks like a ton of fun, as the previous games were.

Any more new info on 2011's GOTY? I am starting to get Trial's Fever :p
We are polishing it :)

No matter how you look at it, the game is huge compared to Trials HD. All the new multiplayer modes, editor tools and the new track central require lots of testing and fine tuning to be perfect. I personally expect the servers to have at least 100 000 user created tracks in the first months. The editor is very complex, and has pretty much similar feature set than Little Big Planet 2 editor. You can create your own games with it. Our designers have already created games such as Super Monkey Ball with the system, but the possibilities are pretty much limitless. We were already stunned by all the clever tracks players did with the much more simple Trials HD editor tools, and now we cannot even predict what's going to happen...

This is our first game that has correct linear-space lighting. Learning the right way to tune the lighting and materials has been an interesting journey. You will be surprised how much the game outlook has improved since the latest released screenshots from the Gamescom/PAX preview build. The improved terrain rendering system "bakes" terrain heightfield pixel normals to virtual texture (during runtime). It looks much better compared to tangent space material normals and vertex based heightmap normals. No lod poppings and perfect "sculpted" look at all distances. All in all, I have been really happy about virtual texturing, since I have been finding so many cases where it can be used as a surface cache (reuse calculations instead of having to do them every frame). Our terrain rendering system has benefited the most from it, since we do not have to blend any terrain materials during scene rendering, everything is baked to the virtual texture pages (blending occurs during page generation, we do not store terrain pixel data to the hard drive - it would take terabytes of HDD space).

I don't know exactly when we are going to release new videos and screenshots of the game, but I will post links here as soon as that happens.

Please do :) You know, we are a viral group that will be twisting all our friend's arms for years telling them, "GO GET TRIALS EVOLUTION. Like yesterday!" ;)

Ps- Oddly, I was on the fence on Trials HD as I tend to be a social gamer. But when I tried the demo it was totally addictive and a mastership of gameplay. And I find it quite interesting that Trials HD had a REALLY strong social element between the realtime ghosts, replayt ghosts, and most importantly the best leaderboards this generation (Ever?) So it had the addictive core SP gameplay but also this great social element. The new version just looks to be exploding over the top with awesomeness--my and my boys cannot wait. And my wife is already rolling her eyes lol :)

Back