Sony Press Conference 2011

The last time someone asked, a Sony exec mentioned that they have made a lot of progress in that game. Probably Gamercom ?

Probably TGS. I think SE needs to address FFXIV first... and then of course there are still FFXIII Versus (PS3) and Type-0 (PSP/Vita).

So, I took some time to think about it and I can't remember a time when a Final Fantasy wasn't shown at a Sony press conference. That's quite a large departure imo.

*shrug* Perhaps it's better they focus on their product first before doing more rah-rahs. There is always another big gaming event to catch.

I hope Sony study and extend Nintendo's WiiU video concepts. So many great ideas for combining a touchscreen controller with a home console. If Sony had demonstrated ideas like those, I would have pre-ordered a Vita yesterday. ^_^

So, I took some time to think about it and I can't remember a time when a Final Fantasy wasn't shown at a Sony press conference. That's quite a large departure imo.

Maybe the word came down that Versus will be a multiplat too. That would certainly rate a cold shoulder by Sony.

After seeing the WiiU I think that Sony (and MS) can slaughter Nintendo in their own game.
If Sony releases an app available for all android based touch tablets or touch devices (including Vita) that will enable similar interaction with Playstation consoles, they will actually give access for a wide range of price points and consumers to have similar experience

May be... ? Let's see what Sony says when they launch S1 and S2 tablets this September. They are both Playstation Suite certified devices.

After seeing the WiiU I think that Sony (and MS) can slaughter Nintendo in their own game.
If Sony releases an app available for all android based touch tablets or touch devices (including Vita) that will enable similar interaction with Playstation consoles, they will actually give access for a wide range of price points and consumers to have similar experience

That's true but there's a big difference between making a game that makes use of an optional controller attachment (PSVita/android tablets) and including that tablet/motion controller with every system. If it requires that special type of controller, then you'll cut down the number of PS3 players who can get the game.

Havent though about that. It would be really brilliant move.

**Forgot what thread I was in with the turn the discussion took for a minute. Reposting in a more appropriate thread**

Last edited by a moderator:
Compared to the 3DS, about how much more powerful is the PSV? 3DS is more powerful than the PSP which was about PS2 quality graphics and the PSV apparently capable of around Xbox 1 level graphics according to Eurogamer. The problem is I don't see how that will really give them the edge over a 3DS that's at the same price point. The PSP was an entire generation ahead of the DS but eventually the DS won still.

I can see Sony trying to make PSV a serious general media platform which would make it compete with smartphones and tablets. It's graphics chip is the same as the one in the iPad 2 but it has double the number of cores so it could have the best mobile graphics for quite a while but then it's also less than half the price of an iPad and can fit in your pocket so there's a lot of advantages. I hope that Sony is aggressive in integrating netflix/hulu/etc if they want to go down that path.

oh boy...

Having felt I spent "way too much" on the 3DS for my son I'm rather uninterested in dropping another $250 (no way would I go for the 3G unless it was Kindle-esque). I'm probably an anomaly (certainly for this board) because I'm still trying to find an excuse for an iPad even though I have the income to support any/all of these devices.

Having felt I spent "way too much" on the 3DS for my son I'm rather uninterested in dropping another $250 (no way would I go for the 3G unless it was Kindle-esque). I'm probably an anomaly (certainly for this board) because I'm still trying to find an excuse for an iPad even though I have the income to support any/all of these devices.

If there's value in Sony's system, some will just sell their 3DS away. I don't think ownership will stop Vita. If the user asks for Pokemon, Vita can't help. If the user wants Sony and prettier games, then 3DS may fall short.

For tablets, the value is very clear after owning it for 2 years. Comfortable web surfing, TV watching say... in bed, in car, hotel and anywhere with net access. Second is to cuddle with family members and play games together. We all poke our fingers at the plants and zombies in the final levels of Plants vs Zombies. It is the anti-thesis of motion gaming. Over here you have a quick, direct manipulation UI, and huddle together to play. In motion gaming, I have to make space to prevent kicking my kid in the chin :LOL:

Reading on tablets is good too but the screen may be too glaring. You'll need to adjust the brightness.

That's true but there's a big difference between making a game that makes use of an optional controller attachment (PSVita/android tablets) and including that tablet/motion controller with every system. If it requires that special type of controller, then you'll cut down the number of PS3 players who can get the game.

They can be complimentary, add additional features once paired with a Playstation Suite device.
Besides thats something that will become less of a problem as android based devices become widespread

Havent though about that. It would be really brilliant move.

I tried to pass the idea to Jack tretton in Twitter :LOL::LOL:
I hope we get into something :LOL:

I believe Sony already thought about it. They filed a patent on this idea. I posted it in the new game interaction thread.

Back