Halo 4

And after they fight the Forerunners in the new trilogy there's always the Precursors left to be the subject of another trilogy.

One thing I never liked was the retcon of the events of the Fall of Reach in Halo Reach - much preferred the novels version of events leading to the finding of the Halo ring.

Why do I get the feeling 343 is going to make a mess of my beloved Halo?

They can't do much worse than Bungie when it comes to story - that went downhill starting from Halo 2.

They had better bring home the bacon when it comes to MP though! No complaints with Bungie there.
And they'd better not take out 4 player splitscreen either

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure wasn't she half way going rampart or close to in halo 3 already.
yep she went through rampancy
http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Cortana#Rampancy

Kinda halo lore nerd but why do i have a feeling we will be upgrading chief armor to combat old forerunners that are in the shield worlds. The military class was for shield worlds to survive the halo firing and combat the flood. And there being way more shield world then halo rings big chances are they are coming back.

spoilered this for the people that dont want to know my shitty next theorie on the new trilogy
Got some more info about forerunners combat skins from one of the halo wikia
http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Combat_Skin

Nice quote from the link

Concept art of a forerunner combat skin?
And the mjolnir suit being modulair halo reach modules i could see them upgraded the suit kinda like a modular mech game so to say. singleplayer will have multiple modules multiplayer will act more like reach except no armor lock;)

And prehistoric humans were old enemies of the forerunners Halo:Cryptum kinda logic bomb the whole universe oke atleast adds a whole new time era for games to go for. And make Halo a franchise can easily go on for 2~3 more console generations if handled well.

So the triangle would be Forerunner vs humans vs Some other form of flood mendicant bias the ai that joined the flood could bring in robot kind of enemies so a cybernetic kind of enemies part flood part forerunner robot tech.

haloconceptartforerunne.jpg

Looks like a Geth from Mass Effect :eek:

However, Mass Effect I think took much influence from Halo, especially considering the plot involving a "fore-bearing" race of some kind. Mass Effect's set of civilizations just add up to more layers. But then again, that type of civilization structure was done before Halo too, with franchises like Macross. I do prefer Mass Effect's view of future civilization though, at least the military part of it. Halo is too indoctrinated in a near future sort of look, as opposed to looking like it does take place 500 years from now. Of course, ME's world does have the benefit of humanity discovering alien technology to accelerate it's course into exploring the stars. Plus I've always thought that if Halo was to have weapons more like our current ones, BF2142's guns make for a more plausible set of futuristic looking weaponry. They retain the feeling and look that is relevant enough to us to seem tangible and understandable, unlike ME's mass acceleration weapons which I concede are grounded in the technology of that fictional universe.

And after they fight the Forerunners in the new trilogy there's always the Precursors left to be the subject of another trilogy.

One thing I never liked was the retcon of the events of the Fall of Reach in Halo Reach - much preferred the novels version of events leading to the finding of the Halo ring.

They can't do much worse than Bungie when it comes to story - that went downhill starting from Halo 2.

They had better bring home the bacon when it comes to MP though! No complaints with Bungie there.

Seems everything is in judging by the official halo4 page
http://halo.xbox.com/en-us/intel/titles/halo4

It's Unicron!!!!! :devilish:

I don't think I'd mind playing the majority of the game with the gamepad then swinging my arm overhead just to throw a grenade. :p The lag might make it pointless though for online MP.

Can't disagree with you here. Halo had a great story, the rest were head scratchers. Well, I guess Reach made some sense, if you don't try to figure out how the Covenant got those HUGE carriers into atmo without being noticed.

Reach MP is the best of the bunch though imo.

However, Mass Effect I think took much influence from Halo, especially considering the plot involving a "fore-bearing" race of some kind. Mass Effect's set of civilizations just add up to more layers. But then again, that type of civilization structure was done before Halo too, with franchises like Macross.

Please read some classic scifi :) starting with stuff like 2001... Video games and TV/anime series have all been mostly inspired by stuff written from the '30s. Clarke, Asimov, Heinlein, Herbert, Card, and so on. And most of these tropes are updated versions of even more ancient stories anyway. So I wouldn't say that ME has been influenced by Halo, more like they've both been inspired by all the great SF novels that their younger writers have read as kids.

Not to mention the totally blatant Aliens influences in Halo, of course.

Please read some classic scifi :) starting with stuff like 2001... Video games and TV/anime series have all been mostly inspired by stuff written from the '30s. Clarke, Asimov, Heinlein, Herbert, Card, and so on. And most of these tropes are updated versions of even more ancient stories anyway. So I wouldn't say that ME has been influenced by Halo, more like they've both been inspired by all the great SF novels that their younger writers have read as kids.

Not to mention the totally blatant Aliens influences in Halo, of course.

You forgot Frank Herbert :p I've actually read some of his stuff (first two Dune titles, plus half the third). Out of who you mentioned, I've only read half of Starship Troopers. I think Heinlein is rolling in his grave over Paul Verhoven's Starship Troopers movie (which originally had nothing to do with the book). He would appreciate the anime version though, it actually sticks to the book decently.

Of course Halo is influenced by Ringworld for the Halo rings among many other things.

I admit, that while I enjoy sci-fi stories very much, I'm not much of a fiction reader. I much prefer non-fiction related to aviation and history (I'm on a Greek history push right now). As interesting as sci-fi stories are, I would like to see more games take after classic pieces of literature, which I think are better representations of the human condition at their time of writing. It's not to say sci-fi isn't, but it's more or less trying trying to find solutions to hypothetical issues we may encounter in the future, though many of the stories are relevant to modern and current issues (Heinlein was very strong in this regard).

It's also important to remember that there are really only two kinds of plots:

a) Protagonist goes on a journey
b) Stranger comes to town

Virtually all stories are built around those two types of stories, often messing many together to create an overall story arch with many characters going on a mission/journey and many strangers coming to town. Mass Effect and Halo begin as classic "stranger comes to town" stories, with the protagonists embarking on journeys to destroy a threat later on. Since I'm on my first full run through of Mass Effect, my friend mentioned that he likened Mass Effect to Star Wars. In many ways, it is. In many ways, it is not.

I wonder how they'll handle multiplayer - build on the slower gameplay of Reach with the weaker Spartan IIIs or stick with continuity and do something similar to Halo 3's gameplay with higher jump height, no health/shield split etc.

Or whether they bring back armor abilities or not - I actually would prefer if they replaced all the AAs with sprint for most of the MP game modes as the lack of AAs makes for a purer experience.

It also means everyone is on an equal footing and you don't get people unexpectedly armor locking your rocket back at you and similar.

However, Mass Effect I think took much influence from Halo, especially considering the plot involving a "fore-bearing" race of some kind.
You'll actually find even more similarities between Mass Effect and Star Control 3: Great forerunner race (Protheans/Precursors) left their technology behind after being annihilated by an even more acient forerunner race (Reapers/Eternal Ones). And now they're about to rise from their hiding spot and wipe out the entire galaxy. Again.
And with both Mass Effect and Star Control 3 it's now up to a human led multi-race alliance (equipped with a one of a kind spaceship) to stop them.

I wonder how they'll handle multiplayer - build on the slower gameplay of Reach with the weaker Spartan IIIs or stick with continuity and do something similar to Halo 3's gameplay with higher jump height, no health/shield split etc.

Or whether they bring back armor abilities or not - I actually would prefer if they replaced all the AAs with sprint for most of the MP game modes as the lack of AAs makes for a purer experience.

It also means everyone is on an equal footing and you don't get people unexpectedly armor locking your rocket back at you and similar.

:nope: to armor lock.

Thank God. So happy to see myself and a circle of friends are not the only ones to hold that opinion!

So drop out Rocket, sword, all power items, vehicule and also all AA, only in this case you have everybody on an equal footing. :D
But maybe is not to be on an equal footing who interest you, but only to not be frustrating so very different. ;)

I'd prefer a combo of CE and 2's mp pacing along with keeping armor abilities as it makes the gameplay more diverse and tactical.IF AA's are back in Halo 4, make sure that certain one's aren't overpowered or else it will be abused like armor lock.Armor lock is a good idea but flawed in execution by allowing the player's shields to fully recharge which is bullcrap.I believe 343i should add destructible enviornments like you see in BC2 and BF3 because it greatly adds to the immersion and gameplay.

So drop out Rocket, sword, all power items, vehicule and also all AA, only in this case you have everybody on an equal footing. :D
But maybe is not to be on an equal footing who interest you, but only to not be frustrating so very different. ;)

No power weapons need to stay.
It promotes map movement dynamics.
You can hold the top of sword base but you won't get the power weapons the other will get.
So you either as a team have to split up one holding top level others go after power weapons or as a team go after the power weapons or wait for the enemy team to use them against your team. If the other team fucks then yeah you deserve to win.

But i rather have 343 make sprint a part of the armor and not a AA.
It should speed up the multiplayer a bit. And no Ooh shit AA like Armor lock.

IGN Interview

IGN: Can you talk about what game engine Halo 4 will use?

Spencer: 343 obviously has partnered closely with Bungie for a while. We had been working with them on Halo: Reach and map packs. We started with the code base from Halo, so it's not something we had to re-roll from the beginning. [Chief Technology Officer] David Wu and the team behind the core engine tech inside of 343 have done a lot of work. Halo has always been a unique game with huge outdoor environments but also playing indoor environments at the same time. The technology base isn't 100 percent new, but a ton of work has gone into it by 343.

No, you need power weapons - but they are earnt by getting to the spawn first or killing the user (or if you're lucky you'll stumble across one).

The thing with armor abilities is that it makes the game unpredictable which makes it harder to play well - for example if a guy has a rocket launcher or sniper you normally have visual/audio warning of it - however with things like armor lock you can stick a guy or be about to successfully splatter him with a vehicle only for him to lock and completely negate your advantage (got by skill) in this situation.

I'd prefer a combo of CE and 2's mp pacing along with keeping armor abilities as it makes the gameplay more diverse and tactical.IF AA's are back in Halo 4, make sure that certain one's aren't overpowered or else it will be abused like armor lock.Armor lock is a good idea but flawed in execution by allowing the player's shields to fully recharge which is bullcrap.I believe 343i should add destructible enviornments like you see in BC2 and BF3 because it greatly adds to the immersion and gameplay.

I think they should have standard AAs that are available to all players (no class based powers) like in Crysis - so perhaps everyone can use sprint and jetpack which'd drain a common energy meter.

Armor lock is terrible mainly because it slows down the gameplay so much (especially when you have a whole team doing synchronised armor lock BS in that room on Sword Base).

As for gameplay, I think ideally it would be more like Halo 3 with faster spartans and higher jump heights than Reach and no separate health.
But they should also keep precision weapons like the DMR (at similar strength and effectiveness) as I think the DMR/BR really made Reach's MP unique - a blend of Halo 3's frenetic close combat encounters and Reach's mid range gameplay would be the best IMO.

Interesting that they didn't start with new tech - I wonder if they're building on the 3 engine or the Reach engine (since the game might have been in development before Reach launched) - though I suppose if it ain't broke.

Actually, while I thought Reach had pretty good graphics for a shooter with the size of its environments I just got BFBC2 for 360 and I am really impressed by how huge their maps are, with the amount of foliage present, persistent smoke, 24 vs 16 players, many more vehicles and then of course the destruction.
Even the mountains in background scenery seem quite high poly compared to similar things in Reach (or maybe it's just art).

Is there anything Reach does in particular that BC2 doesn't? (besides splitscreen and saved films)

Interesting that they didn't start with new tech - I wonder if they're building on the 3 engine or the Reach engine (since the game might have been in development before Reach launched) - though I suppose if it ain't broke.

If 343i has been working closely with Bungie, I would think they used the Reach engine as their base, no?

Actually, while I thought Reach had pretty good graphics for a shooter with the size of its environments I just got BFBC2 for 360 and I am really impressed by how huge their maps are, with the amount of foliage present, persistent smoke, 24 vs 16 players, many more vehicles and then of course the destruction.
Even the mountains in background scenery seem quite high poly compared to similar things in Reach (or maybe it's just art).

Is there anything Reach does in particular that BC2 doesn't? (besides splitscreen and saved films)

AI for one. :p

Back