Serious Sam 3 BFE

I'd imagine that Croteam were selling a lot of the HD remakes of Serious Sam to people on XP, and figured why not get them to jump on SS 3:BFE.

I'd imagine Blizzard did something similar (looked at install base of WoW) and determined they can't afford to not include Dx9 users.

Or it could just be the investment for Dx11 was too much for Croteams budget (although I find that unlikely considering what they managed to pull off with Dx9).

It does make you wonder how much MORE graphical goodness could have been put into SS 3: BFE if it was native Dx11. Maybe the next version. :)

Regards,
SB

I'm not too impressed with the misleading comments regarding DX11 by that Croteam dev. Basically it's a crock of BS, and I hate to see that coming from a dev that I have mad respect for.

I wouldn't be surprised if a larger portion of Croteam's customers are DX9 only than for most companies...

To each his own. But you honestly don't have access to Vista/7 on your gaming PC?

$90 for OEM or $110 for upgrade? That's not really a lot of money for a whole operating system, and Windows 7 being definitely worth an upgrade.

I don't see the point in holding out any more. You will have to upgrade soon, waiting won't make it cheaper or any easier.

Win7 is a better OS by miles than XP. Of course I thought Vista was okay too, barring a few technical issues that made me have a couple of minor strokes.

I don't see the point in holding out any more. You will have to upgrade soon, waiting won't make it cheaper or any easier.

Win7 is a better OS by miles than XP. Of course I thought Vista was okay too, barring a few technical issues that made me have a couple of minor strokes.

I concur. For work I still prefer linux or OSX but win7 is so much better than XP in every way that it's worth every penny to upgrade to OEM pro 64-bit.

To each his own. But you honestly don't have access to Vista/7 on your gaming PC?

Had Vista, have 7 for work now, and honestly... for both work and home Vista was a lot worse (slower and less stable) than XP, while 7 is up to par with XP.

There is no real reason to upgrade except further DX access, and I don't feel like it yet. 5x 100 = 500$ as well...

To be honest, when XP security support expires I will most likely go 3 Linux, and 2 Win 7, and that is only because of gaming.

I hear you.

IMO Vista was not worse than XP overall although there were some very annoying things about it (I ran into the slow file transfers over network but I think this was fixed in a service pack).
However if you had an old computer XP was definitely faster than Vista. Vista on <2GB of RAM is an exercise in frustration.

7 isn't like that. It's a great OS with some tasty modern features that I think are worth upgrading for over XP (and I'm not just talking about DX, although that alone is worth the upgrade IMO).

W7 is worth it for the increased security alone. Add to that far better stability and 64-bit memory space (XP 64-bit did exist but hardly) so you can use more than 3 GB of RAM and it's a far better gaming OS.

I hear you.

IMO Vista was not worse than XP overall although there were some very annoying things about it (I ran into the slow file transfers over network but I think this was fixed in a service pack).
However if you had an old computer XP was definitely faster than Vista. Vista on <2GB of RAM is an exercise in frustration.

7 isn't like that. It's a great OS with some tasty modern features that I think are worth upgrading for over XP (and I'm not just talking about DX, although that alone is worth the upgrade IMO).

That was my experience as well. Vista was actually faster for me than XP in some tasks and only marginally slower in some others (I can't even remember what those were). Then again I had a modern machine with a fair amount of memory. For many of my friends, relatives, and customers the experience was the same. However for some others...

For older machines Vista would have operated just as XP did at launch. Dog slow on older computers causing a rash of hate filled diatribe on the internet. Bad or lacking drives from some hardware vendors (Yay, Creative Labs and HP for both XP and Vista, and Nvidia surprisingly for Vista with horrible driver support and even refusal to create drivers for Vista for older hardware) at launch for some months after. Vista bashing just comes across as being greater than XP bashing was due to short memories of most (heck some of the Vista bashers are too young to know much about the XP launch woes) and greater prevalence of the internet in home at the time of Vista's launch compared to XP's launch.

Anyway, that was a bit of a longer sidetreck than I intended. :oops:

But basically it comes down to going for the technical crown and grabbing as many cutting edge people as possible (someone with an expensive Dx11 card and beefy machine likely is more willing to spend more money on games) or doing as much as you can with older tech to pull in more of your existing fans and customers.

I can respect both decisions. Although I obviously prefer the first case, having a Dx11 card and suitably beefy machine myself. :D

Regards,
SB

I honestly never had any stability problems with Vista when I first got it, and I still don't.

I got this game today. Only played the first level. Man, they've got to be trolling with it. It's so un-Serious Sam like. I've not played any of the games it's mocking, so I wouldn't know how effectively they are mimicking them, but...

First level is basically tutorial. You'll be getting hordes of mobs soon after.

+1. It basically starts of real slow and seem un-serious sam like til all hell breaks loose.

One of the earlier levels had over 1000 monsters :cool:

Must've died atleast 8 times on hard difficulty before figuring how to deal with so many kleers.. luckily i found the cannon before hand! :cool:

Kleers are complete assholes in this game. I recently played through Serious Sam HD TFE and TSE in anticipation of this game, and they weren't nearly as bastardish as they are in SS3.

I can't recall the name of the level I'm stuck at... It's the level where you
blow up the Sphinx
and I can't figure out how to do the gigantic siege of doom at the end of it. I got the Cannon and rapid laser or whatever the hell it's called, but not much ammo for either.

Incidentally, the rapid laser or whatever the hell it's called is a lot less useful... I can't figure out why though. Did they weaken each individual shot, lower the rate of fire or what?

So.. is it GOOD? Is it all that previous SS iterations were and more? I'm trying to convince the missus that we need this game, but what with several hours of 3D Skyrim for us most days after the little one is in bed, and BF3 on top for me she feels our plates are full enough at the mo and wishes to wait for it on sale. I just want to give Croteam my (our!) money. Even the talk of split-screen isn't selling it to her, the crazy b... oh hey honey!

So.. is it GOOD? Is it all that previous SS iterations were and more? I'm trying to convince the missus that we need this game, but what with several hours of 3D Skyrim for us most days after the little one is in bed, and BF3 on top for me she feels our plates are full enough at the mo and wishes to wait for it on sale. I just want to give Croteam my (our!) money. Even the talk of split-screen isn't selling it to her, the crazy b... oh hey honey!

Depends upon your tastes, but it's definitely Serious Sam. Feverish is an understatement...must run fast run into enemies shoot dodge shoot run...you want to camp or pick 'em off? You want a different game.

Back