55M Xbox 360 consoles shipped in 6 years

55M is a very good number for MS, that's about 9 million consoles sold per year. Add to that the huge number of LIVE members I think they've done great. I think the most important aspect of all of this is the user experience which Xbox360 and MS provided so well. Console sales is only one part of the overall user experience. The release of the new smaller Xbox and Kinect was a very good move. The new Dashboard is nice too. MS did everything right this generation.

I'm just speaking of why people see the 360 as a sucess and the ps3 as a failure when they are now so close to each other.
I don't see anyone saying 360 is a success and PS3 is a failure in this thread, so why bring up these 'people'? There's really no need to talk about General Internet Talk in this forum when we have our own particular conversations. ;)

Absolutely. But then compared to Wii, it's also rubbish!

Yes, but the Wii's reign is clearly at an end, as a lot of people have expected. We'll see how long the Xbox can go on, of course, and MS has their own pit to climb out of, but I'd still say that they've exceeded even the brightest expectations with this result.

If you insist on only comparing 360 vs. PS3 maybe that would be confusing for you, but does one doing well/poorly ALWAYS have to be in relation to the other? Are there no other valid comparisons to be made where it could be said 360 is performing well, even exceptionally so? I'm not saying the two shouldn't be compared, but there ARE other perspectives.

I have compared ps3 & 360 only because have the same 'target' of costumer, not to indicate the curve of success or insuccess. My criticism is more to the policy of microsoft too much american/anglo for my perspective, where sony is more 'global' in the marketing (probably because has more experience in the console market). It is undeniable microsoft has doing a lot of money, I never denied that. In fact I'm talking of great success in us & uk, but talking of the audience, it seem microsoft has some problem with the global market.

Yes, but the Wii's reign is clearly at an end, as a lot of people have expected. We'll see how long the Xbox can go on, of course, and MS has their own pit to climb out of, but I'd still say that they've exceeded even the brightest expectations with this result.
Hmmm, I don't think they've exceeded the brightest expectations. Maybe because the market has grown more than anyone anticipated, thanks to Wii, an expected market share of, say, 33% results in more units. But if you look at predictions prior to this gen, some were expecting XB360 to do a good 30-40% of market share, especially after seeing PS3's launch price! So 60 million was on the cards, and 360 should do well past that. If 360 and PS3 both do about 70 million, plus what Wii sells, that's a hell of a lot of consoles this gen!

Unless the PSN issue causes Sony to have to set aside $1bn, I'm not sure it can be compared to RROD. They might have lost some revenue with the downtime, but nothing on the level that MS has made to deal with with unreliability.

As far as I know it'll cost them more than a hundred million dollars just in the short term, but that's far from all the damage.
How many potential customers have they lost? How many won't ever buy anything on PSN, or pay for the extra services? Over time it will add up, for sure. I hear even sonypictures.com was hacked recently and they've lost another million users' personal data, from email to home address. It will take years to properly recover from this catastrophe and it will cost them dearly. That 1 billion was spent, but most of the users involved would get ther Xboxes back and keep on buying games and movies and Live subscriptions - whereas Sony has lost the customers' trust for a long, long time.

I wonder how they count. MS has shipped me 4 consoles. My original, 2 replacements, and a slim after the 2nd replacement died out of warranty.

I wonder how they count. MS has shipped me 4 consoles. My original, 2 replacements, and a slim after the 2nd replacement died out of warranty.

If it wasn't sold to a retailer, it isn't counted. Looks like you would count as 2.

Or indeed any exaggerated view of any console. All too often they are called winners/successes and losers/failures, but the real situation is lots of shades of grey between these polar opposites. PSP is a success in some ways and a failure in others. Just like 'best console' arguments, there are always different ways of looking at things with different interpretations, so simple labels like best, successful, mediocre, worst should be avoided, and qualifiers provided - best at its price point; most successful growth between generations; mediocre sales relative to other consoles; worst sales of any system they've made.
Well, at least, in this generation. This wasn't the case last generation or the generation before that. There is almost always more "grey" to find, if one looks to find it. ;)

As far as I know it'll cost them more than a hundred million dollars just in the short term, but that's far from all the damage.
How many potential customers have they lost? How many won't ever buy anything on PSN, or pay for the extra services? Over time it will add up, for sure. I hear even sonypictures.com was hacked recently and they've lost another million users' personal data, from email to home address. It will take years to properly recover from this catastrophe and it will cost them dearly. That 1 billion was spent, but most of the users involved would get ther Xboxes back and keep on buying games and movies and Live subscriptions - whereas Sony has lost the customers' trust for a long, long time.

On the other side of the PSN medal, i see people online now that i usually isn´t online. PSN lost revenue but i think they might come out stronger than when they entered the crisis. The free games will be a nice taster for those that never actually bought games via Playstation Store (the 1st hit is free the next one will cost you).
And the "PR" that PSN got when it was down and now when it was up will have people checking it out.

Do we even know if the 1 billion was enough or to maybe to much?

The downtime will set back Sony in the consumers' mind greatly. Hopefully, they use the huge attention and opportunity to regroup. I lol'ed at the "Music Unlimited Powered by Qriocity" name although I kinda like the service. Sony's services are still scattered all over the place.

They will face Microsoft's total XBL service (Music, TV, movies, Skype, gaming, home automation) wrapped in Win 8 UI, and Apple's iOS suite in the living room and mobile space soon. ^_^

While Sony have their advantages, they need to have a central identity and concept of their platform. This allows people to understand and project Sony's offerings even if part of the services may not be completed yet.

I have compared ps3 & 360 only because have the same 'target' of costumer, not to indicate the curve of success or insuccess. My criticism is more to the policy of microsoft too much american/anglo for my perspective, where sony is more 'global' in the marketing (probably because has more experience in the console market). It is undeniable microsoft has doing a lot of money, I never denied that. In fact I'm talking of great success in us & uk, but talking of the audience, it seem microsoft has some problem with the global market.

It's not Sony more "global" than M$, it's the opposite.
Sony came from a period where console gamers only have Japan influence choice, so you have 70% of this type of game on the consoles. M$ reintroduced western influence on console with xbox, and with 360 they're also got Japan. So it's only the demand was more for "western" games than for Japan. Look the level of sells of Japan game on 360 and PS3.
Sony do well (than 360) on market where the Japan console (specially Playstation) have past influence and/or where the PC market is still present and take gamers away from 360. On market where gamers go aways from PC, 360 is headed.

I think he's saying MS's definition of western gaming is more limited to English speaking countries like US, UK and Canada. Sony invest more in indigenous content and non-English marketing channels traditionally. Their content and CE arms have been cultivating local talent and channels for a long time.

The picture may be changing as we speak, but Sony's home console is not really banging on Japan too much. PSP takes up more of the Japanese developers' and consumers' mindshare.

One of the most unfortunate things about this generation is the way so many Japanese developers "retreated to the PSP" as Mark MacDonald puts it. Even today so many talented studios still seem unprepared to work in HD. I hope that changes as NGP and Project Cafe come online, because I don't want all the quirky, interesting Japanese games to migrate to the 3DS by default...

A lot of the time the rise of the DS and PSP in Japan is spun as a mobile revolution, but I'm not sure that the populace wouldn't have embraced HD console had the Japanese development community been prepared to invest in HD tech and art rather then keep making ~PS2 level games for another 6 years...

Absolutely. But then compared to Wii, it's also rubbish! And this thread wasn't "XB360 is doing great and PS3 is doing rubbish" so such close comparisons aren't really needed. The announcement was just a shipped landmark, which is a lot of consoles. The bragging rights for financials comes in a different thread. ;)

So far this thread is basically noise. Temegen launched with an unqualified "impressive numbers", which Ghostz questioned with some barely qualified reply ("360's selling no better than other consoles, ergo is achieving average performance"), and the rest is bickering! ;)

Perhaps from this point on anyone wanting to say 55 million shipped is good/mediocre/bad should explain in what way, and we'll stick to that.

I posted the thread because there is always a lot of talk and speculation about shipped versus sold, NA versus Europe versus Japan and numbers ww and which markets are consoles being sold in and I felt the 55M number was a nice data point for reference. I'll try to be more explicit next time, didn't mean/want to start a console war...

So far this thread is basically noise. Temegen launched with an unqualified "impressive numbers", which Ghostz questioned with some barely qualified reply ("360's selling no better than other consoles, ergo is achieving average performance"), and the rest is bickering! ;)

Perhaps from this point on anyone wanting to say 55 million shipped is good/mediocre/bad should explain in what way, and we'll stick to that.

The 360 is not only selling worse than its competitors in relation to how many years its been on the market place, it's doing it at an extreme price advantage. I simply don't understand the love affair people have with Xbox's numbers. This Kinect thing is bogging my mind as well.

I begged the question, to perhaps enlighten people to the fact, that in 6 years, the Ps3 will likely be @ 60-65 million with an average price point of 100 USD MORE than its competitors. Really, the "Playstation" is selling on brand name alone, which is far more impressive. Nintendo couldn't even do that doing the Gamecube years.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 360 is not only selling worse than its competitors in relation to how many years its been on the market place, it's doing it at an extreme price advantage. I simply don't understand the love affair people have with Xbox's numbers. This Kinect thing is bogging my mind as well.

I begged the question, to perhaps enlighten people to the fact, that in 6 years, the Ps3 will likely be @ 60-65 million with an average price point of 100 USD MORE than its competitors. Really, the "Playstation" is selling on brand name alone, which is far more impressive. Nintendo couldn't even do that doing the Gamecube years.

I'm pretty sure that's utter bull.

X360 comes in 200/300/400USD SKUs, the 300USD mix (250 vanilla or 4 kinect) probably getting most of the attention; on the other hand I don't see the (even more) increased storage of the 400USD 320GB PS3 having enough value-add to sway consumers the other way.

X360's sales are low-mid heavy, still mostly mid because 4+Kinect kinda substituted the 4 vanilla itself, but the PS3's sales are probably more low-end SKU oriented because that's a pretty good psychological price point.

Best case? ~$50 ASP difference. Worst case? $20-30.

I'm pretty sure that's utter bull.

X360 comes in 200/300/400USD SKUs, the 300USD mix (250 vanilla or 4 kinect) probably getting most of the attention; on the other hand I don't see the (even more) increased storage of the 400USD 320GB PS3 having enough value-add to sway consumers the other way.

X360's sales are low-mid heavy, still mostly mid because 4+Kinect kinda substituted the 4 vanilla itself, but the PS3's sales are probably more low-end SKU oriented because that's a pretty good psychological price point.

Best case? ~$50 ASP difference. Worst case? $20-30.

I'm pretty sure I remember just about every "analyst" worth quoting stating the sell ratio of the 360 is closer to their 200 USD price by 60%. At best, the Ps3 has always been 100 USD more since launch and hasn't really changed.

Back