Microsoft Blog Entry:Sales number, usage stats and hints at new XBL-capable devices

mrcorbo

Foo Fighter
Veteran
http://blogs.technet.com/b/microsoft_blog/archive/2011/05/31/xbox-now-that-s-entertainment.aspx

Attempting to de-PRify it, I extracted some quotes

...we’ve sold more than 53 million Xbox 360 consoles, and Xbox has been the top-selling console in the last year. There are more than 30 million Xbox LIVE members. And more than 10 million Kinects have sold to date.

While people are still playing a ton of video games, 40 percent of all Xbox activity now is non-game. Put another way, we’re seeing an average of 30 hours of video consumption per month per Xbox, a number that is growing fast.

.....Games that extend to your Windows 7 PC and your Windows Phone 7…and, of course, other devices to come…

Building Xbox live as an entertainment medium and not just a gaming hub proved to be a good direction for MS.

My household is a great example of this. I do the online gaming. GF does the Netflix and music. However, it's gotten her to play a few games also. So MS basically got someone who has 0 interest in games to make a few gaming purchases by bringing her in through the non gaming entertainment side of things.

The ease of use is a big factor for her also. She finds Live easy to navigate.

Yeah... probably phone and tablet.

Media consumption is a natural extension to gaming. Even on PSN, I see a lot of NetFlix, Vudu and Hulu users on my friends list, same number as GT5 (at its peak) !

Yeah... probably phone and tablet.

They have phone already, so tablet and/or something else.

Also, I wonder how they calculated that 30hr/month per 360 number. If that is counting all 360s sold and not just those in territories with access to media content, that's a very impressive statistic!

They have phone already, so tablet and/or something else.

There will be different kinds of Windows phones e.g., New gaming focused phone devices like Xperia ? Tablet is a natural extension.

The greater unknown is whether they want to release a dedicated handheld like NGP, or yet another 360 update.

Also, I wonder how they calculated that 30hr/month per 360 number. If that is counting all 360s sold and not just those in territories with access to media content, that's a very impressive statistic!

Some people like me never log out of a service ! (Same with some GAF folks)

EDIT: If you don't subscribe to cable, there are a lot of TV series to chase on the digital video services too.

XBLA/XBLIG compatible windows8 tablets please.

I presume phone, tablet, console and Win8 will all be unified or at least all knit closely together to provide a consistent experience. Likewise xbl will be on all of those devices as well by the time Win8 ships. As long as they keep the interaction reasonably consistent across devices, then it'll be really cool to be able to bounce around between devices with the same xbl account and similar ui's. Hopefully there will be one app store available across all devices as well, and shared currency so that one xbl account can spend it's money on all said devices. They almost have all the pieces together to make a really clean and consistent ecosystem.

Yap ! I think something similar to Mango's UI (integration with facebook and such)

EDIT: Me think they will be showing more advanced Kinect features on 360s and PCs also.

Building Xbox live as an entertainment medium and not just a gaming hub proved to be a good direction for MS.

My household is a great example of this. I do the online gaming. GF does the Netflix and music. However, it's gotten her to play a few games also. So MS basically got someone who has 0 interest in games to make a few gaming purchases by bringing her in through the non gaming entertainment side of things.

The ease of use is a big factor for her also. She finds Live easy to navigate.

Now that we get personalize e-mails with our activity mine reads like this:

Your Gamerscore 41455

Xbox LIVE member since: 11/23/05
Gold Membership expires 11/03/11
Xbox LIVE Rewards Points: 830

Total time on Xbox Live
las month: 150 hours 21 minutes

Your most frequent activity
last month:
Dragon Age: Origins
44 hours 21 minutes

Other activities you enjoyed
last month:

Zune
38 hours 17 minutes [The previous month Zune was my most used activity: Zune 64 hours 55 minutes]

Your Shape: Fitness Evolved
21 hours 39 minutes

"The personal data reflected is as of April 22, 2011. The gameplay information is for the month of March 2011."

Last edited by a moderator:
Personalized email with our activity? How do you get those?

Here is the fine print
MS marketing said:
If you do not wish to receive marketing emails from Xbox, you may opt out in one of the following ways: 1) update your contact preferences on My Xbox, 2) select Privacy Settings under Edit Gamer Profile on your Xbox 360 console, 3) select the Info Sharing option in Account Management for the Original Xbox LIVE Dashboard, or 4) reply to this email with "UNSUBSCRIBE" in the subject line. We will promptly update your contact preferences; however, please be aware that it may take up to 10 days before your preferences are reflected in our system. You may still receive previously initiated promotional communications from Xbox during that time.

I imagine most gamers turn off the marketing setting but I quite like this personalized portion of the e-mail.

screenshot20110601at645.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Impossible maybe not, but damn close. I really can't see that happening, it just feels too unlikely, and right now there is no reason, they will have their OS on the phones so what's the point? Wait and see I guess...

They've practically bought nokia already with that $1billion [strike]bribe[/strike] sorry, investment they made in order get at least one company to not go down the android path. Desperate time and all that...

I'm surprised MS would even need to buy into the cellphone market. I mean just look at Apple, they came out from nowhere and created the most popular phone in the world. If MS wants to make a phone using their own name they can. They were able to make a great music/media player the ZuneHD, adding phone bits is just a small jump from there. They should really release a WP7 under their own Zune brand.

I get the feeling it's much more lucrative for them to stay as an ISV instead. :p Zune wasn't exactly doing well...

Back