is the 3ds dangerous?

alexsok

Regular
So how does the 3D is 3DS fare in comparison with other 3D technologies? Is there any merit to the saying that children below a certain age shouldnt play it while adults should only do so half an hour?

What about looking at someone else playing a game in 3D mode with the slider all the way up? are viewing angles making it more dangerous than looking at it smack dab in the center?

There have been various studies done on 3D some showing that watching 3D can be harmful to children in developmental stages and others suggesting that 3D can be set up to aid development (note these are structured sessions with specific 3D tools, not just playing random games) also various studies with results suggesting increased fatigue/headaches from prolonged use. I don't know of any studies specifically on Nintendo's implementation of 3D.

I think it's safe to say that at this point we lack data, but like Nintendo believes I would tend to err on the side of caution and limit prolonged exposure.

My very limited experience with the 3DS in a store wasn't great, it felt like work. I couldn't even make it look 3D watching someone else play.

My wife is blind in one eye since very young so no 3D for this household either.

I couldn't even make it look 3D watching someone else play.
That's probably no coincidence, since the 3D effect is only visible if you hold the 3DS in an almost fixed position centered towards your own field of vision. There's a small amount of tolerance, mostly vertically (and almost none horizontally), so if you stand next to someone else playing it's almost a certainty you wouldn't get the 3D effect (or you'd get double images, which is kinda crap... :p)

Personally I felt the 3DS was too clunky and unwieldy when I tried it, the screens are quite small, and I don't like the positioning of the slider as if tacked-on as an afterthought (which it alledgedly was.)

it doesnt require glasses, so if anything it would be the easiest on the eyes compared to shutter glasses or something.

one thing is that when your viewing 3d content the lens in your eye is focusing at a fixed point. between one and 2 feet i guess with the 3ds. but your eyes are converged at a point nearer or further away than that, depending on whether something is popping out of the screen or is further within it.

so maybe if a child was to play 3ds from a very young age, for long periods of time it might cause problems, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accommodation_reflex heres some info on the process, but it doenst say at what age it would be fully developed.

probably pretty early but i dunno.

One of the problems with all of these 3D technologies is that bicameral vision is not, by far, the only indicator of depth that we use. One of the most important is the focus of the lenses in our eyes. So when you use the bicameral vision alone for 3D, it creates a discrepancy between these different types of measuring depth, which means that headaches and the like can happen no matter how the different image for the two eyes is done.

One of the problems with all of these 3D technologies is that bicameral vision is not, by far, the only indicator of depth that we use. One of the most important is the focus of the lenses in our eyes. So when you use the bicameral vision alone for 3D, it creates a discrepancy between these different types of measuring depth, which means that headaches and the like can happen no matter how the different image for the two eyes is done.

I was using the 3DS for a while, in 3d mode, and after finishing off my game I would put it down and when I read I started seeing the 3d effect. It is possible that it is not a good idea to use 3D, from the 3DS, for more than a few minutes. :/

Back