256kb interplanetary multiplayer (wip)

I

imerso

Hi,

This is a little engine+game I'm developing alone in my spare time (mostly weekends). Etherea1 is an OpenGL based interplanetary multiplayer that I'm trying to complete under 256kb. There is a lot of work to be done yet, but I just released a prototype today that allows people to fly around the solar system both in online and offline modes.

For online mode (connect to the server and see other people), you need to create a free account in the forum (the game will validate players through the forum accounts).

etherea1_iotd_110427.jpg

Please note that this is still a work in progress, and is going to change considerably until the game is considered as "finished". It will feature some spacestations, npcs, collisions between players, firing (in war mode), explosions, scores, etc.

The main site is here: http://www.etereo.com.br (yes, I'm brazilian)
The download is here: http://imersiva.com/get.php?f=etherea1_eng (Windows, ~100kb)

My daily work is currently on IT wireless programming, and although that is a nice work, that has nothing to do with games. At home I create my own little engines and games just because I can't stop loving it.

Please, if you try the techdemo and it crashes or behaves buggy, send the log to me, or post it here, so that I can try to fix the problems. Thank you.

Etherea1 is trying to access the internet
like hell im running that............

It is a multiplayer demo Davros so you expect some level of Internet connectivity...:???:

I tried it briefly on my work PC (Q6600, Win7 x64, 8800GTX SLI) and it is very well executed given the restrictions. SEP even let it through without a quibble which is rare. I flew from space into the planet's surface with no problems at all and actually very fluid with only a little LoD pop up...

...I will take a closer look at home, but a thumbs up from me already. ;)

It is impressive, though at times sluggish on my E6750 and GTX260. I also get some odd rendering errors on planet surfaces, like the ocean turning completely white over 1/2 of a planet.

Davros said:
Etherea1 is trying to access the internet

Thank you for checking. I understand you, but you have my word this program does nothing different than exchanging gaming related packets with its own server. No spy, virus, nor anything different than gaming purposes.

The executable is compressed, and I have heard some antivirus just flag packed executables as "malware".

GMâ„¢ said:
I tried it briefly on my work PC (Q6600, Win7 x64, 8800GTX SLI) and it is very well executed given the restrictions. SEP even let it through without a quibble which is rare. I flew from space into the planet's surface with no problems at all and actually very fluid with only a little LoD pop up..

Thank you. LOD distance is being quite conservative (close), so it's really very visible... setting it farther aleviates the popping a lot, but then it becomes very slow. I will try to find energy to implement some form of morphing. =)

homerdog said:
It is impressive, though at times sluggish on my E6750 and GTX260. I also get some odd rendering errors on planet surfaces, like the ocean turning completely white over 1/2 of a planet.

Thank you. I have lots of visual problems when I force anisotropic filtering here, don't know if it's what you're experiencing. Also, some people reported crashing with multithread optimization on nVidia cards.

I really need to debug it with an nVidia card, but at this moment I have an ATI HD2600XT only. =)

Thank you. I have lots of visual problems when I force anisotropic filtering here, don't know if it's what you're experiencing. Also, some people reported crashing with multithread optimization on nVidia cards.

I really need to debug it with an nVidia card, but at this moment I have an ATI HD2600XT only. =)

No AF being forced, just using all the driver defaults.

There is now a simple built-in chat enabled. The console/chat can be toggled with TAB.

Interesting. I just ran it on my crappy work PC (Athlon64 3200+ - single core, HD3870) and it ran absolutely marvelous at 1280x1024@100hz, 'max' settings. I think the lowest it ever went was about 60fps but it still felt smooth and good.

This is actually quite a breathtaking little engine. I think if you offered a 'free roam' mode where your ship doesn't explode when you go to fast, that would be really nice. I'd just enjoy flying around a solar system and checking out the planets and such - the transition from space to planet (and back) is really quite beautiful.

Good work.

How are you creating the terrain?

The terrain is a quatree with nodes that are created and discarded on demand. Textures and heightmaps are created and discarded on demand as well, through a variation of GPU Perlin Noise.

OK I don't have any nVidias to try the newest version, but I passed it through "GLSL Validate" and fixed some non-standard code that could be causing the problems with nVidias, if some of you could try the demo and tell me if it works now... I would be very grateful. The link is the same above. Thanks.

Also, I'm looking for a game related programming job, if there is one for a relatively old brazilian guy...

The new version acts the same as the old one. At 1440x900x32, highest quality, fullscreen 16x9 it is very jerky when I'm close to a planet, and the issue with the ocean turning white still remains. This is on Win7 64, GTX260 with driver 270.61.

Ok guys,

Life is a bit messed up here, and I am having no time to proceed with this project as I would like to, so I'm selling the 3 domains (imersiva.com, imersiva.com.br and etereo.com.br), plus the full C++ source-code of the Etherea1 engine.

This is a single, full sell for a little amount. The buyer gets everything and do whatever he/she wants with the domains/source-code.

Recent screenshot:

etherea1_110828a.jpg

Regards.

Back