Atomontage Engine - The Future Is Volumetric, Atom-Based

Voxels are fine idea, but the main trouble remains the available memory space to store all the volumetric data, even with parametric sub-division optimizations.
Well, unless you want to turn all the games looking like Minecraft. ;)

I would love to see when they release the SDK for this. Their website is more down to earth than that Unlimited Detail site. Also, the videos are more revealing. It seems to be a hybrid engine (voxel and polygonal) and much farther along than what the other comapny is claiming.

http://atomontage.com/

A hybrid solution
Atomontage Engine can mix polygon-based with voxel-based content and render both in real-time. Currently only static content can be voxel-based. The engine features an accelerated renderer so the engine performs well on modern PCs as well as on older PCs in real-time. It manages the LOD of the rendered data so that real-time performance can be achieved also in cases with very limited resources available for rendering.

iirc
the voxelspace engine first used in comanche Maximum Overkill in 92 was not a hybid engine (although it ma have become one in the windows era, not sure)

Commanche 1 and probably 2 used simple 2D sprites for enemies and destructible ground objects.
Looked amazing for its time though ;) but it took a 486/50 to get smooth frame rates, and I think 4 megabytes of memory.

this seems a contradiction
Currently only static content can be voxel-based

Atomontage is a voxel-based middleware solution that if implemented in modern games, promises both realistic physics by atom simulation, as well as greater graphical fidelity.

so you can only apply physics to stuff that doesnt move ??

this seems a contradiction

so you can only apply physics to stuff that doesnt move ??

Well, okay, in real Physics everything moves in relation to something else I suppose. But maybe he refers to physical phenomenas; like erosion, gravitation etc. The demo pretty much looked like "simulated" through physics, not hand-modeled.

Let's go quantum ;)

Indeed flip the bits back and forth(negative image) at different rates and you'll be surprised what you see. looks like cellular structure you can see streams of data floating around colliding forming new patterns quite marvelous like a living sculpture or painting

Commanche 1 and probably 2 used simple 2D sprites for enemies and destructible ground objects.
Looked amazing for its time though ;) but it took a 486/50 to get smooth frame rates, and I think 4 megabytes of memory.

A secret that's not much of a secret is that the rate of algorithm progress is actually faster than Moore's law, and quite faster. A spiralling snow ball

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks quite interesting. The landscape area looks to be a voxelized satellite image. Notice he doesn't zoom in very much until he switches to some kind of extrapolated version where it generates more detailed depth information based on rough height data? I was wondering how it was overall created and I figured that would be the way it was done. And since there isn't a lot of detail, it wouldn't take a lot of space either.

Looks quite interesting. The landscape area looks to be a voxelized satellite image. Notice he doesn't zoom in very much until he switches to some kind of extrapolated version where it generates more detailed depth information based on rough height data? I was wondering how it was overall created and I figured that would be the way it was done. And since there isn't a lot of detail, it wouldn't take a lot of space either.
The extra data you saw was the streaming of more detailed layer, there was no extra detail generated.
Geometry was generated with photogrammetry with multiple images all needed information is at links provided in video description.

He changes couple of options during demonstration, another disables the blur used to hide voxel cubes and another is the additional lighting to make them more visible.

Very nice demonstration. :)

That city stuff looks like it be amazing on a mobile device running mapping software.

Can you imagine Google Earth with that detail?

Back