Starhawk (new rumors)

Seems to happen...the sequel to warhawk!

here is the news:

http://playstation.systemlink.me/2011/04/starhawk-confirmed-first-details-leaked.html

and here some rumored details

- The main gameplay elements remain much the same. Starhawk is a third-person shooter, with jeeps, APCs, tanks, and now spaceships.

- According to our source, you cannot fly from a planet into space. Some maps are set on a planet, with dogfights taking place in the air, while others are in space, with small areas for ground combat. The game is still set in another universe, so Earth will not feature.

-While the main body of the same is still online multiplayer, there is a single-player component.

Sweet. Warhawk has been the only console online fps I have liked to play in past. This has to be awesome, awesome, awesome.

Warhawk's problem to me was that I played only occasionally and at some point people playing warhawk became so good that playing for me(sucking at it) was not fun anymore.

I wonder if they have move support in starhawk(hope so).

Some of the details hint that they have bigger budget and/or more resources this time. Could become awesome.

StarHawk images all over the internet ! I am too busy watching leaked videos and images to post a link here :D !
All I can tell u is that it doesn't look like Warhawk at all !

No sixaxis support?! That made flying gorgeous in Warhawk. :rolleyes: If they fix the multiplayer issues in WH (no proper parties, crap chat, no coordination, difficulty finding teammates, bad gradation of players, spawn-killing massacres) it could be a fun title.

hm...in fact I am dissapointed so far! I really thought/hoped that this would be starhawk in the sense of space ships and co. ... boooo!

No sixaxis support?! That made flying gorgeous in Warhawk. :rolleyes: If they fix the multiplayer issues in WH (no proper parties, crap chat, no coordination, difficulty finding teammates, bad gradation of players, spawn-killing massacres) it could be a fun title.

I don't think they announced all the features yet, however i'm not all that sure that SIXAXIS control was really popular for flying the WH anyways. All the top WH flyers used dual-sticks as it was more rapid and you could respond quicker (which was imperative for those split seconds when you had a bogey on your six and he'd just fired off a homing on your azz :D).

TBH, WH for me was rediculous fun and i never needed parties, matchmaking etc. The chat was crap initially, agreed. But i think that was more to do with the headsets being used. The one the blu-ray disk version shipped with was garbage, but the official headset with it's high quality mode was crystal clear. Unfortunately by the time the official headset made it out, everyone already had the shoddy ones and most WH players had given up on chat altogether. That didn't mean that there was no coordination though. Team-mates also weren't hard to find either. The maps were very well designed in that way. On the other hand though i played 32player CTF mode almost exclusively (pretty much everyone did) so you never went more than a meter without running into your teammates or enemies for that matter.

I dunno what you mean by bad gradation of players too? Are you referring to the way the game splits up vets from noobs? If so i fully agree as later on it was almost impossible for new players to find noob servers to learn the game because the WH vets invaded almost every server basically masacring noobs to thier hearts content. The level up system didn't help this as it took so long to level up that a person's rank was no real indicator of their skill with the various play modes in WH.

The spawn killing was a problem too, but not too bad as you could simply dash to a Jeep/WH/bazooka or missle turret and wipe those dirty interlopers off the map :D (ahhh, good times!)

Anyways, dispite all the flaws WH had regardless of your skill level WH was an amazingly fun game with so much variety that even if you weren't a great flyer you could have loads of fun with just the ground/jeep/tank/turret/missle turret combat anyways.

I led a clan for a bit "The Prophets of Eucadia"... we were very short lived cuz i realised later on that i couldn't really commit to it, but we had some awesome fun :)

Cannot wait for Starhawk!:D

hm...in fact I am dissapointed so far! I really thought/hoped that this would be starhawk in the sense of space ships and co. ... boooo!

I feel your pain bro in the sense that i'd quietly hoped for a Colony Wars type game. But in fairness Warhawk wasn't only about the warhawks, so we can't really expect Starhawk to be a game in a completely different genre.

There's still hope that Sony studio liverpool is working on something Colony Wars related (- i know i know i'm glutton for punishment :cry:)

I don't think they announced all the features yet, however i'm not all that sure that SIXAXIS control was really popular for flying the WH anyways. All the top WH flyers used dual-sticks as it was more rapid and you could respond quicker (which was imperative for those split seconds when you had a bogey on your six and he'd just fired off a homing on your azz :D).
I guess the majority rules, and a classy feature is dropped because it just wasn't popular. :(

TBH, WH for me was rediculous fun and i never needed parties, matchmaking etc. The chat was crap initially...
It's only ever been garbled mess, irrespective of headset. Very occasionally you'd hear speech, but mostly it's just "flobalobalobalob."

I agree maps were fairly balanced, although, a shock for new online player like myself, the notion of being rubbish until you learnt where the pickups up etc. led to lots of early frustrations. I suppose that won't be a problem this time around.

I dunno what you mean by bad gradation of players too?
For a long while Noobs were thrown in with vets, and it was a pointless, miserable massacre. Then they introduced ranked servers and you would just fight noobs until you got good enough to rank up. At which point you were on the receiving end of serious WH kickings and again, it was no fun. A team with a couple of good fliers would utterly dominate a team without, and there was no comeback to that in any of the games I played.

The spawn killing was a problem too, but not too bad as you could simply dash to a Jeep/WH/bazooka or missle turret and wipe those dirty interlopers off the map :D (ahhh, good times!)
Not at all. There were too many bloodbaths. I've been on both ends and seen how it happens. A team can get penned in and players have no option to do anything at all. Grab a plane and you get shot down in a jiffy by the squad of 4 enemy fliers. Make a run for it to bale out in nowhereland and you get hunted. Grab a tank and get it blown away by a big purple camera-based missile. Then it's twenty minutes of getting slaughtered until the next round. In such cases if I had chance I'd always let players escape to have some fun, but mostly that doesn't happen.

Anyways, dispite all the flaws WH had regardless of your skill level WH was an amazingly fun game with so much variety that even if you weren't a great flyer you could have loads of fun with just the ground/jeep/tank/turret/missle turret combat anyways.
It was certainly one of the better online games I've played, though with a very erratic enjoyment level for me, with some rounds some and some boring and some agony. Uncharted 2, in contrast, invariably provides me fun even when on a losing team, although once teammates start bailing it gets tiresome.

That's the hardest part of online gaming with people, managing the human element. And this Eurogamer preview shows the devs have their work cut out for them to make SH work as well as it perhaps could.

Eurogamer said:
The multiplayer aspect utilises a similarly impressive system, where the 'kill to build and build to kill' ethos rings especially true. Every player can hover a green blueprint over a patch of their team's end of the map, and quickly bring down base-building essentials. You could, say, block off an access route to your flag with a few walls – then upgrade one so it becomes a gate that will only accept your side's traffic...It's a great system; essentially a streamlined and third person grandson of the all-too-often forgotten Battlezone remake that was released on the PC way back in 1998.

At the moment, however, it also needs a little tweaking...it's easy enough for a griefer to build a maze of walls instead to fill up a team's building quota (of 16) and deny others the fun stuff.
User created structures are a real game changer, but it can be abused, and how do you manage it in a team of 16+ random people? How do you work as a team towards a defensive fortress construction, or a focus on getting vehicles ASAP, or carefully placed constructions to force enemy movements in a controlled way? If you want to drop a sentry post just here, and then someone else places a useless wall elsewhere and steals your resources, that's just gonna be annoying.

That's always been a problem. MAG never solved it. Perhaps before a game there needs to be a general who draws up a gameplan, and soldiers are expected to work towards it? But then who wants to be told what to do in their game?

Sadly the more I think about it, the more I think it'll flop. Teamwork doesn't happen outside of clans. I dare say the buildings will be an awkward mishmash of unfocused elements, with some trying to plat offensively while others try to play defensively, and it just won't work. I do hope I get proven wrong on this.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's only ever been garbled mess, irrespective of headset. Very occasionally you'd hear speech, but mostly it's just "flobalobalobalob."

Not for me in my clan matches. A couple of my clan guys had official headsets and we had no problems hearing each other in any of our games. Some of the others had other headsets and it was clear as when they spoke all you heard was the "flobobob" stuff that you rightly mentioned. That was certainly my experience in my clan games way back when.

I agree maps were fairly balanced, although, a shock for new online player like myself, the notion of being rubbish until you learnt where the pickups up etc. led to lots of early frustrations. I suppose that won't be a problem this time around.

For a long while Noobs were thrown in with vets, and it was a pointless, miserable massacre. Then they introduced ranked servers and you would just fight noobs until you got good enough to rank up. At which point you were on the receiving end of serious WH kickings and again, it was no fun. A team with a couple of good fliers would utterly dominate a team without, and there was no comeback to that in any of the games I played.

Whilst i do agree that this seemed to be the experience of alot of people, it wasn't so for me. I usually took upon myself the task of dealing with the flyers, and me and a couple of other guys in our clan would (and even in my non-clan matches) would just spend time keeping the flyers busy with bazooka rockets and missle turrets while the rest of our guys focussed on the objectives. I came across some really good flyers in my games, but when we just constantly spammed them with missles there was little much that they could do. Still i agree with you though that my experience most likely wasn't the experience of most noobs-to-relatively-inexperienced players that made up the bulk of the player base.

Not at all. There were too many bloodbaths. I've been on both ends and seen how it happens. A team can get penned in and players have no option to do anything at all. Grab a plane and you get shot down in a jiffy by the squad of 4 enemy fliers. Make a run for it to bale out in nowhereland and you get hunted. Grab a tank and get it blown away by a big purple camera-based missile. Then it's twenty minutes of getting slaughtered until the next round. In such cases if I had chance I'd always let players escape to have some fun, but mostly that doesn't happen.

Can't argue with that :p

That's the hardest part of online gaming with people, managing the human element. And this Eurogamer preview shows the devs have their work cut out for them to make SH work as well as it perhaps could.

The multiplayer aspect utilises a similarly impressive system, where the 'kill to build and build to kill' ethos rings especially true. Every player can hover a green blueprint over a patch of their team's end of the map, and quickly bring down base-building essentials. You could, say, block off an access route to your flag with a few walls – then upgrade one so it becomes a gate that will only accept your side's traffic...It's a great system; essentially a streamlined and third person grandson of the all-too-often forgotten Battlezone remake that was released on the PC way back in 1998.

I thought i was the only one on the internet that played Battlezone II :D I'm simply flabbergasted that it's TPS/RTS mechanics haven't been ripped off in more games sooner ;-)

At the moment, however, it also needs a little tweaking...it's easy enough for a griefer to build a maze of walls instead to fill up a team's building quota (of 16) and deny others the fun stuff.
User created structures are a real game changer, but it can be abused, and how do you manage it in a team of 16+ random people? How do you work as a team towards a defensive fortress construction, or a focus on getting vehicles ASAP, or carefully placed constructions to force enemy movements in a controlled way? If you want to drop a sentry post just here, and then someone else places a useless wall elsewhere and steals your resources, that's just gonna be annoying.

That's always been a problem. MAG never solved it. Perhaps before a game there needs to be a general who draws up a gameplan, and soldiers are expected to work towards it? But then who wants to be told what to do in their game?

Sadly the more I think about it, the more I think it'll flop. Teamwork doesn't happen outside of clans. I dare say the buildings will be an awkward mishmash of unfocused elements, with some trying to plat offensively while others try to play defensively, and it just won't work. I do hope I get proven wrong on this.

Yeah, i don't know how they'd control that. It's gonna be an issue, but then since there's so much variety in the gameplay already with the various weapons/vehicles then perhaps people abusing the building system won't be as much of an issue. I mean the building is a nice feature but it isn't the only source of fun in this game... i mean the game has flippin TRANSFORMERS!!!! :D

Besides you only need to give teams the ability to vote to kick players from your game like in Socom 4, surely that's an easy enough fix for griefers. Let the teams artbitrate themselves. At least we can count on voice chat working this time around (Sony should bundle the new headset in every box) so players can more effectively organise themselves.

Besides you only need to give teams the ability to vote to kick players from your game like in Socom 4, surely that's an easy enough fix for griefers. Let the teams artbitrate themselves. At least we can count on voice chat working this time around (Sony should bundle the new headset in every box) so players can more effectively organise themselves.
That's not reliable though. I've known games where groups try to vote off someone for no good reason. MAG comes to mind. If a moron has a few friends on the team, he'll be protected. I wonder if it wouldn't be better to have private games with a host in control? The best games I played on WH were on my own server, despite it being small, because I could balance the teams, and voice chat tended to work more effectively.

Everything sounds great here, but I wish they had kept the cartoony Warhawk vibe of the game. The colours, the maps looked better in Warhawk !
This looks more like Red Faction !

Back