*ren* PSN Down, Customer Info Compromised

Thanks for the info concerning the Supreme Court ruling Patsu, was not aware of it, and certainly that changes my views as to the enforceability.

Class actions in general never really benefited the consumer unless they brought about large policy changes. The oh we're sorry for all your trouble here a buck fifty for everyone but the lawyer always seemed kinda pointless.

Class actions in general never really benefited the consumer unless they brought about large policy changes. The oh we're sorry for all your trouble here a buck fifty for everyone but the lawyer always seemed kinda pointless.
$50 is often more than most of these people will get if left to the corporations generosity. And there have been cases of large settlements (per class member), if not in consumer electronics.

50 is being generous in most of these cases though it's more often $5-10. More often then not the only one that really wins in these cases is the lawyer.

FYI Corporations win arbitration 95% of the time. It disappoints me still a company would try and strong arm its consumers into something like this. It's about as low as it gets.

Just received an email saying PSN ownership is shifting over to SNE, and inviting me to visit here. It inculdes updated TOS. I haven't read them (not that I ever do!).

You must be disappointed all the time pal.

Not at all. Fortunately, as a consumer I can choose with my buying power, and I continue to support the companies that take care of me instead of treating me like a criminal or trying to take away buyer rights because of something they put into a TOS.

and I continue to support the companies that take care of me instead of treating me like a criminal or trying to take away buyer rights because of something they put into a TOS.
So I take it you dont use the microsoft windows OS [zing]

Not at all. Fortunately, as a consumer I can choose with my buying power, and I continue to support the companies that take care of me instead of treating me like a criminal or trying to take away buyer rights because of something they put into a TOS.

I look forward to your list :)

An Important Message From Sony’s Chief Information Security Office:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011...rom-sonys-chief-information-security-officer/

We want to let you know that we have detected attempts on Sony Entertainment Network, PlayStation Network and Sony Online Entertainment (“Networks”) services to test a massive set of sign-in IDs and passwords against our network database. These attempts appear to include a large amount of data obtained from one or more compromised lists from other companies, sites or other sources. In this case, given that the data tested against our network consisted of sign-in ID-password pairs, and that the overwhelming majority of the pairs resulted in failed matching attempts, it is likely the data came from another source and not from our Networks. We have taken steps to mitigate the activity.

Less than one tenth of one percent (0.1%) of our PSN, SEN and SOE audience may have been affected. There were approximately 93,000 accounts globally (PSN/SEN: approximately 60,000 accounts; SOE: approximately 33,000) where the attempts succeeded in verifying those accounts’ valid sign-in IDs and passwords, and we have temporarily locked these accounts. Only a small fraction of these 93,000 accounts showed additional activity prior to being locked. We are currently reviewing those accounts for unauthorized access, and will provide more updates as we have them. Please note, if you have a credit card associated with your account, your credit card number is not at risk. We will work with any users whom we confirm have had unauthorized purchases made to restore amounts in the PSN/SEN or SOE wallet.

As a preventative measure, we are requiring secure password resets for those PSN/SEN accounts that had both a sign-in ID and password match through this attempt. If you are in the small group of PSN/SEN users who may have been affected, you will receive an email from us at the address associated with your account that will prompt you to reset your password.

It's nice of Sony to say something. I'm seeing this getting reported in a "here we go again" kind of way on a lot of blogs, but Xbox Live has been experiencing a pretty serious hacking epidemic involving lots of actual fraud, really long waits to get your account fixed and the potential to lose it for good if the hackers succeeded in changing your region, all while MS pretends there is nothing wrong.

Yes, this is actually good news for PSN users. ^_^
The hackers are trying to use passwords they stole elsewhere to try to get into major accounts such as PSN. I wouldn't be surprised if they try the same thing on other sites.

Sony probably noticed that the IP range is different from the regular sign-in IPs for the affected PS3s ?

I'm seeing this getting reported in a "here we go again" kind of way on a lot of blogs
Actually, that seems a bit unfair, at least just going from Sony's own words in the above posted quote, as it appears they weren't completely caught with their pants down this time.

I'm pretty through with Sony at this stage, but maybe they really are deserving of some credit... :)

Back