*ren* PSN Down, Customer Info Compromised

That sounds like you are talking about the server side internal network.

No. I'm talking about our applications that are not browser-based.

deathindustrial said:
in "plain text" though of course, over an encrypted SSL connection. No message level security there and that is essentially identical functionality wise to what was shown in those IRC logs. It is also what ever single e-commerce store on the planet is doing.

The PS3 = web browser in this scenario.

Yes, you are correct in that the PS3 is the same security as a web browser.

In the case of the XBox360, I'm going to guess that they're not taking a web-browser based approach but using custom applications on the client side that can use technological advancements beyond the mere web browser.

Anyone know if the sonycreativesoftware.com sites were involved in this breach? I have been running into activation problems with the wife's copy of Vegas Movie Studio 10 and am wondering if it is related.

So far Google has not been much help clarifying.

Cheers

I've been away from this thread a while and would like to say that I am satisfied with Sony's ultimate response in the same way I was satisfied with MS's response to their RROD issues. It doesn't erase their failures but, ultimately, it's probably the best they can do and they deal with the biggest issue facing their customers directly.

THIS is why we need to hold companies accountable when they screw up.

So here we are at the start of the fourth week....what is even crazier is that I'm trying to find someway to get the GameStop $100 off coupon so I can repurchase a PS3 at the cost that I traded it.

Last edited by a moderator:
So here we are at the start of the fourth week....what is even crazier is that I'm trying to find someway to get the ganestop $100 off coupon so I can repurchase a PS3 at the cost that I traded it.

<-- Is proof that a PS3 @ $200 is hard to resist.

So here we are at the start of the fourth week....what is even crazier is that I'm trying to find someway to get the ganestop $100 off coupon so I can repurchase a PS3 at the cost that I traded it.

And i am really getting annoyed by the games that keeps on asking me to sign on to PSN... argh!

<-- Is proof that a PS3 @ $200 is hard to resist.

I think that Gamestop deal is a pretty good indication we can expect a $100 price drop to be announced for the PS3 at E3. I've been pricing used PS3s and they go for about $200 locally, but when I saw that coupon I decided to wait until after E3. I think the chance is very good they'll cost that new in 4 weeks and I'll be able to talk someone down to ~$130 used.

Anyone know if the sonycreativesoftware.com sites were involved in this breach? I have been running into activation problems with the wife's copy of Vegas Movie Studio 10 and am wondering if it is related.

So far Google has not been much help clarifying.

Cheers

It's been unavailable since May 6th IIRC... (at least for me) Can't say why, but I know there are DNS changes that have been going on.

BRiT said:
In the case of the XBox360, I'm going to guess that they're not taking a web-browser based approach but using custom applications on the client side that can use technological advancements beyond the mere web browser.[/b]

From what I hear from former cohorts there; nope... Nor would it matter even if it was "more advanced" when you still allow a user to authenticate to the network via a browser. That's why I consider the PS3 exploits largely irrelevant. The network isn't relying on the "security" of the PS3 when you're also allowing browers and other PC clients as well as PSPs, TV's, Blu-Ray players, etc. to authenticate against the same network.

Some signs of progress popping up , about a dozen new (temp) accounts (created on tuesday) in the weekly SOCOM leaderboards and a new admin account in MAG forums.

Seeing how long this is taking them to go online with PSN, I do wonder if any data was corrupted by the intruders or through a direct result of them?

Seeing how long this is taking them to go online with PSN, I do wonder if any data was corrupted by the intruders or through a direct result of them?

I think they are really rebuilding everything from scratch, must be an incredible effort with the applied pressure of not opening new holes.

....and would like to say that I am satisfied with Sony's ultimate response....

I think I have to agree. While I (like many) was initially somewhat critical of the communication, or lack of it, from Sony in the first week or so, I think their 'rabbit in the headlights' reaction is wholly understandable now that we know close to the full extent of what they were facing.

Since then, even though the network is still down, I think the way they have communicated to their userbase has been better and they have made it patently clear that they are treating this situation very seriously.

I honestly don't see how (first few days withstanding) they could have managed this any better.

Whats actually the view of developers on this matter? I mean they must be very pissed that they lost a month of sales (or a part of it, since many sales were probably just postponed).
Could they ask for compensations from Sony?

Considering the size of the problem and the level of complexity their engineers are facing (in relation: I manage a network of ~300 machines and 6 (2 virtualised) public facing servers), I think they have managed the situation admirably well.

And if they do get the whole thing up and running by the end of this month, I would be more than willing to congratulate them on completing such a mammoth task so quickly.

I think I have to agree. While I (like many) was initially somewhat critical of the communication, or lack of it, from Sony in the first week or so, I think their 'rabbit in the headlights' reaction is wholly understandable now that we know close to the full extent of what they were facing.

Since then, even though the network is still down, I think the way they have communicated to their userbase has been better and they have made it patently clear that they are treating this situation very seriously.

I honestly don't see how (first few days withstanding) they could have managed this any better.

I'm not willing to go that far. They should have had a contingency plan in place for what and how they would communicate with their customers in the event of a network intrusion. While it seems clear to me at this point that they had a technical plan in place that seems to have been up to par, the communication was FUBAR. I expect better, and going forward I'd expect all companies that handle this type of information will learn from Sony's spectacular failure in this incident - including Sony themselves.

Back