*ren* PSN Down, Customer Info Compromised

What happens when the PSN goes back up and they encourage everyone to go in and change their password. At this point, that data is already obtained by the hacking. What's to prevent them from going in and changing the information before you have a chance to?

I betcha MS are laughing their socks off (whilst checking that their own security is up to the task no doubt).

I seriously doubt MS are laughing about this at all... in fact, I am fairly certain they have an internal auditing department or someone else raising all sorts of flags, asking for documentation on existing systems, starting up audit processes to review code and practices, etc...

When something like this happens to a peer, it generally results in all the other peers scrambling to sort out their vulnerability and try to fix any issues found.

What happens when the PSN goes back up and they encourage everyone to go in and change their password. At this point, that data is already obtained by the hacking. What's to prevent them from going in and changing the information before you have a chance to?

Therein lies the primary challenge to identity management: identity vetting.

Sure, the RROD situation is more-or-less in the past (although I'm not 100% certain that even current-generation Xbox 360 units yet are up to par w/ the other two consoles in terms of reliability and failure rates)...

Slim seems good. Not sure what this has to do with the topic at hand, exactly, other than random speculation.

If there's anything that you can fault Sony for in this situation, it's that they took a few days to investigate the security breach, and some speculate that they may have unnecessarily delayed notifying the public for a few days informing them that their data might have been compromised. Only Sony knows whether this is true or not. Either way, I don't find it to be that big of a deal, and in the past couple of days, Sony seems to be relatively forthcoming and frequent about communicating details to their customers and addressing some of the bigger questions that people have.

Let me explain it this way. They shut down PSN six days before their statement, correct? So at some time before shutting down PSN and the release of their statement, they had a suspicion that the hacker was after personal data. If that suspicion arose early in the six days, they should have said something right away. If that suspicion arose late in the six days, why the fuck did it take them that long to even consider the person(s) may have been after customer data?! Either way, they failed miserably, but I'm guessing they had a suspicion early and wrongly felt that it would be better to wait and see the actual damage before releasing a statement.

I seriously doubt MS are laughing about this at all... in fact, I am fairly certain they have an internal auditing department or someone else raising all sorts of flags, asking for documentation on existing systems, starting up audit processes to review code and practices, etc...

When something like this happens to a peer, it generally results in all the other peers scrambling to sort out their vulnerability and try to fix any issues found.

I hope this is one of those situations where competitors come together and share information. If Sony can help others by giving them details of the attack and how it worked, it's a good thing for all of us.

Activation e-mails?

Slim seems good. Not sure what this has to do with the topic at hand, exactly, other than random speculation.

Like I said before, it wasn't me who brought up the issue of failure rates or other company failures. And even if it is a slight tangent, it's at least slightly related to what I and Carl B were discussing. You guys really need to read up a little bit and realize that there's a discussion going on.

Activation e-mails?

Exactly. Seemed pretty obvious to me. All the emails associated with each PSN are authentic and preserved in their original state, so activation email--a unique link to change your password via email--would be the answer.

You say that they've moved on, and that they've improved their hardware QA and support for the consumer, moving past the RROD situation. That's fantastic, of course... but who's to say that Sony won't move on from its current situation, and accordingly improve their network infrastructure.? All the official statements from Sony about the matter seem to indicate that they are making massive efforts toward enhancing and restructuring the infrastructure and security systems of PSN for posterity. You seem to be implying that Sony is incapable of moving on, improving themselves, and learning from their mistakes.

Well, I would certainly be very impressed if they can make whole-sale architectural changes to an existing system with such large dependencies in a short time window (of a few weeks.)

Their PR seems to indicate datacenter moves, software architectural changes, etc..

Most changes of this magnitude, when done in an non-emergency basis, takes months to prepare -- or even more than a year for some, and usually weeks to implement.

Now, I have no idea what the scope of those changes are... it could simply be a move of a couple servers from one DC to another... or it could be dozens of servers. What's the software? The OS, database, some bespoke software, etc... I would assume some upgrades are required. Bespoke software updated/modified. Usually this requires some form of testing, first to validate that the vulnerability is eliminated, second to ensure you don't have a regression that causes more bad PR.

If they can do all this in a week or two... color me super impressed. Our organization (and many others) disaster recovery team could learn from them. I hope they'll publish an after-action report on this.

Activation e-mails?

Not sufficient, in my opinion... someone above just posted an incident they noted with their own personal email account having been the source of a SPAM attack.

How do you ensure those email addresses Sony has are in fact under the correct ownership of the original user?

Sadly, one of the best identity vetting methods may be to go through financial institutions... If you are indeed "Mr Hobbit" of "Shire, Eridore" then, a credit authorization check on your credit card with those bits of information should authenticate you as who you are... assuming that information wasn't altered or compromised -- which seems to be a somewhat safer assumption that assuming your email account is secure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sufficient, in my opinion... someone above just posted an incident they noted with their own personal email account having been the source of a SPAM attack.

How do you ensure those email addresses Sony has are in fact under the correct ownership of the original user?

Sadly, one of the best identity vetting methods may be to go through financial institutions... If you are indeed "Mr Hobbit" of "Shire, Eridore" then, a credit authorization check on your credit card with those bits of information should authenticate you as who you are... assuming that information wasn't altered or compromised -- which seems to be a somewhat safer assumption that assuming your email account is secure.

Spam that uses your email is nothing special, it borders on "ohh again" an old email adress is bound to get picked up by spammers . SPF/DKIM is the way to go for anti spam.

The "no news" from sony and information shutdown is bad, very bad. But some of it must be related to them having piss poor security staff (or whatever it´s called) coupled with wild panic at CEO lvl (chickens without heads). Seems to me that they discover something is wrong.. find it it´s major screwed, flips the off switch. Searches some more and just can´t get a grip on the situation, calls in the "experts", that start from scratch, confirms that it´s fucked up. And the CEO´s have no choice but to give up "the truth" instead of a water down "only 1% was stolen".

And as been huffed and puffed by hackers for "weeks", PSN was in a poor state but no one from Sony seems to have reacted or passed that info on. Don´t they have a few people hired to just keep track of the underground, or just middleground? How do they have any idea of what is going on outside their buildings?

Like I said before, it wasn't me who brought up the issue of failure rates or other company failures. And even if it is a slight tangent, it's at least slightly related to what I and Carl B were discussing. You guys really need to read up a little bit and realize that there's a discussion going on.

Yeah, you guys. Read up on it.

Spam that uses your email is nothing special, it borders on "ohh again" an old email adress is bound to get picked up by spammers . SPF/DKIM is the way to go for anti spam.

No, in this case:

So I just checked my e-mail this morning and I see someone I know responded to an e-mail that I apparently sent out. I checked my sent box and it shows that I sent spam mail out to everyone in my contacts list. :???:

Does this sound like it could be related, or is it possible I have a virus on one of my computers?

Sounds to me like someone got into his email account (dkskribbles, I hope you didn't use the same password on PSN as your email)... why else would he have a trace of that spam message in the "sent mail" container?

This is different from someone modifying a SMTP mailer header to change the reply-to and from fields to use someone elses email address.

It was definitely you who brought up other company failures. Twice consequetively in fact before anyone else had mentioned it.

I got mine last night. I know you're not going to like this answer but it takes time to send all these emails. Trying to mass send 77 Million emails will bring any email\exchance server to it's knees. Even if each branch of PSN is only sending a 10th of those it will take a while.

I wonder if the way Sony has been handling the situation is going to come back to haunt them. I can't imagine consumer rights organisations being too pleased with it. You can't fault Sony for not being able to create a 100% secure system, but you can fault them for the way they've been treating their customers.

I think they put something on the blog Q&A that they are aiming to have them all sent by the 29th, but that they're hoping that the media has spread the message far and wide long before then,

I dont give a **** about their blog. They should contact their customers directly, not assuming that people follow their blog. They haven't exactly been keen on spreading this to the media either

They should contact their customers directly, not assuming that people follow their blog. They haven't exactly been keen on spreading this to the media either

Here's the full quote:

Q: Have all PlayStation Network and Qriocity users been notified of the situation?
A: In addition to alerting the media and posting information about it on this blog, we have also been sending emails directly to all 77 million registered accounts. It takes a bit of time to send that many emails, and not every email will still be active, but this process has been underway since yesterday. At this time, the majority of emails have been sent and we anticipate that all registered accounts will have received notifications by April 28th. Consumers may also visit uk.playstation.com/psnoutage and www.qriocity.com for notices regarding this issue. In addition, we have taken steps to disseminate information regarding this issue to media outlets so that consumers are informed.

I think we do have to be fair that pretty much all news organisations have 'spread the message' and also that sending that amount of emails takes time.

Back