new tech demo from Tri Ace

tri ace has always pulled off impressive stuffs even back on PS2. Valkyrie Profile 2 looks very impressive for a PS2 games, Star Ocean 3 was pretty high quality in terms of tech and I think those two were the only Jrpg with true 16:9 and progressive scan support.

Well Radiata stories as well but that was another trice ace job. Quite a few others had 16:9 and fewer still progressive scan but I don't remember many others with both.

FF12, 11, DQ8 were the only one that have widescreen, DQ8 and FF12 were the only one with true 16:9 I think FF11 was cropped. Non of those games have progressive scan. Not many Japanese games for sure, only JP games with both true 16:9 and progressive scan are shadow of the colossus and Ghost in the shell.

The cutscenes in FF12 were also really fugly in 16x9. Something about how they scaled them to the the wider aspect ratio made them look terrible.

Yea, I really don't think this is possible at 30 fps on current consoles.

How can a Japanese dev come out of nowhere and completely outdo all the Western developers out there - Crytek, DICE, GG, ND, Epic, ID etc. it's completely improbable
They didn't exactly came out of nowhere. They've been doing research and releasing papers for some time now.

Also, it's interesting that you emphasize them being japanese.

Yeah ,Kawase and other Tri-ace graphic researchs have been pretty hightly influential in the industry .Remember wreckless (double steal)?

Yea, I really don't think this is possible at 30 fps on current consoles.

How can a Japanese dev come out of nowhere and completely outdo all the Western developers out there - Crytek, DICE, GG, ND, Epic, ID etc. it's completely improbable
Tri-Ace was already doing impressive things with Star Ocean:TLH. It’s just too bad that ended up being the game to show off their technology, because it went largely unnoticed by most gamers and panned by gamers who played like me. Technology wise they seemed to be up there.

I just hope they and other Japanese developers start doing technical work with high end PCs in mind like Epic and Crytec does. That way they can have a head start next gen and won't have to go through the problems that many of them went through early on in this generation.

Battlefield 3 is built upon similar principles and I expect that game to run at 30fps with a native 720p resolution. So why should we doubt that others can achieve similar results?

It kind of reminds me of the cut scenes in Resident Evil 5, for some reason. Those were some of the best real-time cut scenes this gen. Obviously this is quite a bit better than those were. Hopefully if the game really looks this good, it's something I'd actually want to play.

It's actually completely different in its looks, thanks to the HDR and physically correct lighting and shading. The art styles are kinda similar though, maybe that's what you've meant.

It's actually completely different in its looks, thanks to the HDR and physically correct lighting and shading. The art styles are kinda similar though, maybe that's what you've meant.

Yeah, I went back and looked at pics of RE5, and they aren't as similar as I'd thought. I think it's mostly just some of the colour palettes and the incredibly bright blooming sunlight.

Am I the only one who finds the visuals to have a certain "instability"? Things seem to shimmer a lot more than I would like to stare at for hours.

Am I the only one who finds the visuals to have a certain "instability"? Things seem to shimmer a lot more than I would like to stare at for hours.
I thought that it was suprisinly stable considering the quite wide range used in HDR and DoF used at times.
Shader aliasing one of the big things developers have to address when going for HDR and better materials and currently there simply might not be enough computing power to fix it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The aliasing seems to mostly be the result of them doing the post processing at lower resolution, which is pretty much a requirement for current-gen consoles. It's particularly bad for their bokeh effect, since the large sprites flicker on and off as the camera moves and the rasterization pattern changes. Bloom can also have some bad aliasing when a large dynamic range is used, which seems to be the case in the demo.

That's what I figured. Personally, I'd rather wait for the next generation of consoles before I'm subjected to this level of imprecision and aliasing. It looks great in a screenshot, but playing it would be another matter.

They didn't exactly came out of nowhere. They've been doing research and releasing papers for some time now.

Also, it's interesting that you emphasize them being japanese.

Well that might be true, I hadn't heard of them before - and it's just that the Japanese industry lags behind Western devs in terms of tech, (and Japanese devs themselves admit this) besides a few like Polyphony or Capcom, so it's less likely to see impressive tech from them.

But I'll wait and see what games come out of this and how they look.

Well that might be true, I hadn't heard of them before - and it's just that the Japanese industry lags behind Western devs in terms of tech, (and Japanese devs themselves admit this) besides a few like Polyphony or Capcom, so it's less likely to see impressive tech from them.

But I'll wait and see what games come out of this and how they look.

Well, it's not like all western developers are tech gods. Most produce tech as average as the japanese devs (or license engines from other devs).

That's such a ridiculous statement. Japanese developers are more focused on console tech (as this is), probably because fewer japanese are pc gamers.

Non sense.Most console developpers have a fully PC engine path.

Whoops, didn't mean to just let this drop, my phone ate my first response awhile back. However, I don't have much to say in my defense. Perhaps japanese devs experiment as much with pcs as with consoles. Given my inexperience I shouldn't have said "ridiculous". But interference's comment still seems presumptuous.

Capcom publishes a huge amount of stuff. And Polyphony are pretty outstanding. Square and triace got an awful lot more out of the ps2 than most western devs. Soul calibur 2 wasn't technical? I'm not sure how to count these things nor am I qualified to judge which is Most Technical, but they don't really slouch, in the console space. They do make a LOT more puzzle and visual novel games than western devs. But the flashy games are pretty flashy...

Back