new tech demo from Tri Ace

This is real time on 360/PS3, right?If so, what kind of AA are they using because it looks really smooth...

Oh yea...
Rendered in real-time on Xbox 360 / PlayStation 3
Runs at 30Hz with 720p and is directly captured from the video output on the devkit

Good God this looks...beautiful...

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't say it looked real smooth some of the artifacts were likely compression but still as Kasersky said there was a lot of of shader aliasing going on at points. It might be a still a little ambitious to pull off at great quality in games. However their paper gave you render times for their Ambient BDRF on the PS3 which weren't too heinous.

I wouldn't say it looked real smooth some of the artifacts were likely compression but still as Kasersky said there was a lot of of shader aliasing going on at points. It might be a still a little ambitious to pull off at great quality in games. However their paper gave you render times for their Ambient BDRF on the PS3 which weren't too heinous.
I thought about their actual direct feed shots.In motion there are artifacts though.

Can we actually expect this level of visual fidelity with all the AI, physics and other game codes running? If so then Square should employ this engine now.

Looks amazing. I'm having a hard time believing it but what do I know. Resonance of Fate looked pretty fantastic at times, but of course this is a whole new level of omgwut o_O;

Man the indirect illumination for specular components on top of the diffuse components is really taking to a next level, the difference is actually quite prominent. I bet it's memory hogging as hell on the consoles though, but if their next game doesn't fully feature all those things wouldn't it feel too ambivalent?

Looks very nice, but tech demo's are quite easy to make really really good looking compared to real games. Completely different ball game

Man the indirect illumination for specular components on top of the diffuse components is really taking to a next level, the difference is actually quite prominent. I bet it's memory hogging as hell on the consoles though, but if their next game doesn't fully feature all those things wouldn't it feel too ambivalent?

Yeah , i never saw a shader looking that good in ambient lighting.Physically correct shading model (or better approximation of correct behavior) in a full HDR pipe is the first thing to have in any advanced engine,along with full HDR, gamma correct lighting.
It's much more important than tesselation or any other buzz words.
Basic Blinn or phong or blinn-phong should die, and the faster the better.

Yeah , i never saw a shader looking that good in ambient lighting.Physically correct shading model (or better approximation of correct behavior) in a full HDR pipe is the first thing to have in any advanced engine,along with full HDR, gamma correct lighting.
It's much more important than tesselation or any other buzz words.
Basic Blinn or phong or blinn-phong should die, and the faster the better.

Totally agreed, after seeing what this is capable of I don't think I can go back :).

Wow, great lighting. When the guy is looking at that action figure in his hand you can almost feel it's real/it's there. When lighting is so good everything that doesn't match that sort of quality feels so fake (edge aliasing, specular aliasing, image space DOF and motion blur, etc..)

Maybe now you understand what I've criticized in that certain PS3 game, the One That Must Not Be Named.

Yeah I totally understand, but like I said if too much is being sacrificed for that beauty pass then it makes you wonder if the tradeoff is worth it;)? In any case I just don't think current gen consoles have much left to handle everything at HD res any more.

I'm not blaming anyone, please don't try to create that impression. I've merely pointed out some weaknesses in that engine's rendering technology to explain my problems with the looks of the game.

Yea, I really don't think this is possible at 30 fps on current consoles.

How can a Japanese dev come out of nowhere and completely outdo all the Western developers out there - Crytek, DICE, GG, ND, Epic, ID etc. it's completely improbable

Um no it's not. Bright Dev's are from all over the world. They come up with great ideas on their own or as groups. It will be interesting to see if they have to scale anything back in their next game though.

Back