Fact: Nintendo to release HD console + controllers with built-in screen late 2012

Not surprising as the pad is bulky which makes it hard to aim properly. The reason it worked so well on wii is because the wiimote is so small you only need small flicks of the wrist.

Some new info:
Sensor bar is only needed for Wiimote,not WiiU Gamepad.
I guess Ninty has abandoned IR aiming as a viable mechanic. Shame I thought it was the way to pursue,needing further refinement.

Isn't the tablet controller able to be used as a sensor bar itself?
I read that somewhere. Place it underneath the TV and it's a second screen with a sensor bar. All they have to do is place a couple of IR LEDs in the front of the controller.

Isn't the tablet controller able to be used as a sensor bar itself?
I read that somewhere. Place it underneath the TV and it's a second screen with a sensor bar. All they have to do is place a couple of IR LEDs in the front of the controller.
I think Ninzel's meaning the Wuupad can't be used with positional tracking via IR. There's no need for what you describe as the sensor bar is provided for using Wii controllers. ;)

Well as the videos have shown there is motion tracking and aiming tracking (Ninja star throwing game) as the WiiU Pad is moved around but I guess it's being down with gryos? That begs the question of it's precision and will it have the same problem as WiiMote when you aimed too far off screen.
I'm guessing devs will limit it's use to very specific cases preferring to use the traditional
analogue sticks most of the time.

Well as the videos have shown there is motion tracking and aiming tracking (Ninja star throwing game) as the WiiU Pad is moved around but I guess it's being down with gryos?
Yes. It's been known since E3 that the wuupad does not have an IR camera to track the sensor bar. Just check the images released... There's no camera there, just a simple IR transciever, for the TV remote functionality and data sync with the pedometer thingy (and any other such things that may appear in the future.)

That begs the question of it's precision and will it have the same problem as WiiMote when you aimed too far off screen.
The MEMS gyro has pretty severe precision problems from what was reported from E3, requiring frequent recalibration whenever the aim starts to drift. Nintendo should have kept in the tracking camera, it might not have been foolproof, but certainly better than nothing. I suppose the reason they tossed it is that you may want to hold the pad sideways/"vertically" instead of the normal horizontal orientation, such as was demonstrated when tossing ninja stars in the official video. A camera mounted facing straight on wouldn't have been any good anyway in that case, and two additional cameras facing either direction (to accommodate both lefty- and righty-handedness) would be ridiculous. So they killed it outright instead, and saved a bit of money on not having to include either it or its associated bluetooth transciever...unless the buttons and sticks on the pad use BT. I'm not sure that's the case, I've not seen any indications of a BT sync button/LED for example.

I think Ninzel's meaning the Wuupad can't be used with positional tracking via IR. There's no need for what you describe as the sensor bar is provided for using Wii controllers. ;)

I know, but the tablet controller can also be used as an "enhanced" sensor bar with a secondary screen:

xAtvg.jpg

I think this is what they're using for the golf game demo, for example. The wiimote should be able to get a lot more precision if it also uses the integrated sensor bar and not just the accelerometer as it did in the first Wii Sports (so funny, we coould hit a ball by waving the wiimote above our heads).

It might also be interesting for a HUD-less game played with the wiimote/pro controller, where some character stats may be shown in there.

Okay. Didn;t know the Wuupad had IR diodes in it. Yes, I guess the Wuupad diodes are necessary for the Wiimote to track effectively.

A telltale sign of PhysX for the cape, as the simulation starts when it's brought into the level. I've noticed it on other cloth in the PC version (banners, ropes, etc.) with GPU PhysX acceleration, but not on the cape.

Isn't the cape simulation standard? I don't have the game, but it looks like it's there on consoles already. Maybe they handle it differently for PC setups, not to mention, they would have to completely redo the physics in the engine to support the Radeon GPU in WiiU... *shrug* A more convincing sign would be additional particle & object physics, not the cape.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSiIJ9Q3pQg
www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eQCvh52J6I#t=17m13s

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't the cape simulation standard? I don't have the game, but it looks like it's there on consoles already. Maybe they handle it differently for PC setups, not to mention, they would have to completely redo the physics in the engine to support the Radeon GPU in WiiU... *shrug* A more convincing sign would be additional particle & object physics, not the cape.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSiIJ9Q3pQg
www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eQCvh52J6I#t=17m13s

For what I've understood, converting PhysX from CUDA to OpenCL wouldn't be that big of a deal, in fact IIRC AMD even offered to do it once but nVidia (unsuprisingly) declined.
It's not too far fetched that on console front they've been allowed to make it OpenCL?

Havent seen this posted yet
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/355948/nintendo-wii-u-online-will-be-free/

Free online is definitely a good reason for me to get the Wii U version instead of the 360/Xbox3's(for the multiplats that don't end up on PC). Hopefully Sony too will continue having free online.
I'm actually asking myself if Microsoft will keep the payed online system or try to find different benefits for gold subscribers without splitting the online community.
Sure, it worked for them this generation and they made tons of money, but things were a bit different since they started off with a much better online service than their competitors, and they were also the first to market - so people who wanted to play online with their friends bought the same platform.

But the gap has narrowed since then, and people who owned the console for many years begin to understand the hidden extra costs of paying for online for seven years in a row. Many of my friends already abandoned live gold in favor of playing online on PSN or Steam, and I know myself that I might not keep paying for this service forever.
This actually makes me pass on most multiplatform online games for the Xbox nowadays in favor of the alternatives, and if many other people make similar decisions then the cost of live gold is basically cannibalizing on Microsoft royalties from third party games. I believe this is not a very good strategy in the long term.

Perhaps the gap will open up again next gen. We really don't know what ms has instore. I wonder if cross platform (win 8 , win 8 mobile , xbox) will be a selling point of xbox gold .

besides there is still a gap in online play between the 360 and ps3

Back