Fact: Nintendo to release HD console + controllers with built-in screen late 2012

Knowing Nintendo we will either get the specs or we Wii U will end up being delayed because the hardware still isn't finalized. Tis a shame the rumor about getting upgraded to a 6850 is BS.

Didn't we already see what the "best looking" 1st party game is capable of graphically? Zelda anyone? It looked nice but nothing beyond what PS360 could achieve.

Knowing Nintendo we will either get the specs or we Wii U will end up being delayed because the hardware still isn't finalized. Tis a shame the rumor about getting upgraded to a 6850 is BS.

Neither. Nintendo won't give the specs and it won't be delayed. I do agree with the last sentence.

Didn't we already see what the "best looking" 1st party game is capable of graphically? Zelda anyone? It looked nice but nothing beyond what PS360 could achieve.

A tech demo made in a few weeks using Gamecube assets isn't something that could be claimed as "best looking". I lean more toward Rangers' assessment, at least for the early part. I don't see us knowing what Wii U is truly capable of till PS4 and Xbox 3 mature.

The gap will be so small with PS3/360/WiiU that who uses best talent and most money will get the best results. The best of current-gen will top Wii U launch software at E3 and Nintendo will have to spin this negativity

It´s arguable no game on Wii ever topped RE4 although it had much more RAM, GPU and CPU grunt.

If a game with the technical wizardry of God of War 3 can exist within the same generation as a game like Darksiders within the same generation, without diminishing its appeal, I'm inclined to believe the gap between current gen and next gen will be perceived as small by most people.
3558-video_games_god_of_war_3_wallpaper.jpg

Darksiders_10.jpg

It's not like Battlefield 3 killed or even put a dent in Call of Duty sales. We're at the point where graphics just have to communicate information coherently to be considered good enough. Anything more is icing on the cake for Joe Gamer and lube for us graphics whores.

Actually a all software E3 press conference is making even more hyped, do they have so much sw to show that their new console is almost secondary?????

No comments on the pre-E3 briefing video? The official Wii U gamepad is a lot bigger than the prototype & they are also releasing a "Pro" controller that looks like the 360 controller.

Tommy McClain

No comments on the pre-E3 briefing video? The official Wii U gamepad is a lot bigger than the prototype & they are also releasing a "Pro" controller that looks like the 360 controller.

Tommy McClain

The Pre E3 broadcast was interesting. The social concept was pretty cool. I also like the Pro controller. I don't think those things are enough for me to go buy the console though. If they don't have exclusives that I want to play then I'm just gonna stick with my existing console and wait for the next Xbox. Unfortunately Nintendo 1st party kid games are not enough for me to buy into their idea.

I only watched the last half, finishing it up on YouTube...

http://youtu.be/9AkPdAWfFjI

Has some interesting social features. Always nice to see healthy competition in innovation, but like you said there's no way its games will tear me away from the Xbox.

Tommy McClain

they are also releasing a "Pro" controller that looks like the 360 controller.

Why move right stick up there? To bring this at launch reeks non-confidence of the tablet for more than short sessions or some genres at all.

You are basically asking customers to drop another $50 and developers still have to design for the tablet anyway even whey dont want to and drop support because of the tablet or limit to only people who have this accessory

I missed the broadcast, does anyone have a linkee for a non-live version of it? *Edit: Thank you in retrospect, Azbat! :)

Wuupad looks.........big. REALLY big. But, okay. I'm wary of two things though, non-analog triggers, someone said? If so, why even bother putting them there? The bumpers are enough in that case. Also, resistive touchscreen still or not? Really REALLY needs to be capacitive. No two ways about it. Give us capacitive or give us death, Nintendo!

The "pro" gamepad looks......weeell, where have I seen that before? :LOL: Still, it's a slick-looking piece of hardware (and a reason for MS to claim to have been "pro" since 2005... /facepalm, Nintendo!)

I'm a bit ambivalent, should I buy this thing or not? I'm not sure! I want to, though. I've owned every stationary Nintendo console ever released. Would have owned my SNES still, but it died. My NES still works though, bought in 1986. Friggin' tank that thing is.

*Also edit: looking at the black bar at the location of the camera. This is the location of infrared LEDs, to be picked up by the Wiimote to allow interaction between the Wuupad and the TV screen, yes? It was mentioned somewhere, I can't remember where I saw it, that it was possible to drag stuff off of one screen and onto the other using the Wiimote. So you'd need tracking LEDs for that to work... Also, the TV remote functionality and the NFC reader is just icing on the cake. Very slick stuff.

PS: I wanna see Iwata's outtakes for that clip... Hehe. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Wowza, that Wuu pad looks huge ... I can't imagine it being comfortable enough for more than 15 minutes at a time.

See above.
Yeah, I noticed your post after finishing typing up my own. Thanks again. :)

Btw, that infomercial-like segment with Todd and his unbuttoned-beige-suit jacket buddy is just PAINFULLY bad. I don't think a single person in the universe could identify with those two lameos. Ungkh!

Not sure how I feel about two controllers. Segmenting the user base?
If you're selling the WiiU Pad as the next great thing why backtrack and offer a Pro controller?
I guess it depends of what capabilities the Pro lacks. Does the Pro still have the gyro and IR aiming to sensor bar like WiiU pad? If so it only lacks the second screen,so devs could easily move things like maps back to traditional way on screen.
If it lacks entire control mechanisms which does a dev develop for?
On one hand hardcore gamers will probably want to gravitate to the Pro while at the same time they can't be sure everyone owns one. Two distinct control options? Sounds complicated.
If Nintendo isn't entirely confident about the WiiU Pad,why should I be?

Am I missing something? Are there more sticks & buttons on the Pro than on the Gamepad or vice-versa? I don't think so. They're identical. Design for the Gamepad & you get support for the Pro. Not every game will use the touchscreen or the camera, especially cross-platform games. So I don't see the problem.

Tommy McClain

Take it as a confirmation only a single tablet will work with the WiiU. You'll need the pro controller for local multiplayer.

Back