Fact: Nintendo to release HD console + controllers with built-in screen late 2012

Valve and Crytek aren't, I bet. EA, probably barely. Nobody will bother, they will all move directly to Orbis/Durango.

The system is DOA. I'm not trolling I've stated my opinion throughout. Today we got another topic on GAF that Wii U is barely current gen...http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ics-at-least-as-good-as-ps3-xbox-360-versions

Since you are so sure of this, lets get some numbers on the table. How many Nintendo WII U will they have to sell before you are wrong?

Nintendo just needs to make money, and IMHO they will, they are undisputed champions of home consoles, they are bold, take risks and have some of the strongest long lived franchises ever. Sony and Microsoft walks in their footsteps*

*EYETOY was actually a bold move as well, kinect before kinect though not in anyway as advanced, but just as annoying with lights and positioning :)

Typical Ninty fanboi dreams coming from little kids that haven't reached puberty.

The WiiUUUUU...Megaton will be REVOLUTIONary...:LOL:

Why would you set out to make a 15 year old look mature?

Valve and Crytek aren't, I bet. EA, probably barely. Nobody will bother, they will all move directly to Orbis/Durango.

The system is DOA.

You're incorrect on all counts, Valve aside (because nobody outside of Valve knows exactly what Valve's doing). But then AlStrong said all that needs to be said.

steviep arent you the guy that SWORE Xbox next is coming in 2012 (because if it comes out in 12 then it wont be much more powerful than Wii U, of course, was your hope), and bet me a $50 Amazon GC on it? Whats up with paying up on that, anyway? Suffice it to say your track record is dismal.

I dont know Valve and crytek's plans but I dont see why they'd be interested in Wii U. ESPECIALLY Valve. What game do people think Crytek is making on Wii U? They already scoffed when asked about Crysis 3 on it.

I'm sure EA will throw some support there because they're EA, but it doesn't change the fact it's a tweener system. It's become even worse imo because I thought Orbis/Durango would hit in 14. Now it's becoming clear they're late 13. So, Wii U will literally have a few months before they start looming, rather than the ~1.5 years I thought it'd have.

You're going to literally see Wii U launch in November 2012, and Orbis and Durango will debut in a big way in June 13 E3. Sometime that spring 2013, Feb, March, April, you'll start to have leaks and hype build about them.

We'll know a lot more in 11 days.

Nice stealth edit there.

Even in your scenario, where the console comes in with parts that are *less* powerful than the 360 (which is so incredibly unlikely, but let's entertain it anyway) - what does it matter? If you're a stickler for high powered platforms and IQ, there's only 1 platform that's really going to be delivering that.

The software content on the platform will sell the consoles, not the hardware content. That goes for all of the manufacturers. That has always been the case and I don't see that changing.

As far as my 2012 prediction - if you know (as perhaps you do) that Microsoft has recently shifted their target in regards to hardware you'll know that it's almost impossible that the console will make it in 2012. The supply chain and software won't be ready for that. I will gladly buy you a game when the year is up if that ends up being the case. It was [Nintex] on GAF that was more adament about the date. Wasn't the bet about something else? I honestly don't recall lol. It was last year.

The reality is that the Wii U will sell (or not) for the same reason as the Wii. If they can provide a unique user experience through a different interface that is intuitive and fun.

Nintendo isn't going to launch a WiiU that will blow away the graphics of the 360 or the PS3, let alone be able to compare favorably with the upcoming consoles from MS and Sony.

Nintendo is going for 'good enough', which happens to be supported by their IP which consists of cartoon characters that have no need for realism or the horsepower that realism requires.

Nintendo has repeatedly said so themselves. The latest, in the link provided above:

For its part, Nintendo has said its focus with the Wii U is gameplay, not graphics. "We do not focus on technology specs," Nintendo said in March of this year. "We understand that people like to dissect graphics and processing power, but the experience of playing will always be more important than raw numbers."

The only demographic who ever seems to have trouble grasping this concept are the hardcore Nintendo fans who desire a Nintendo console that can compete technologically with it's competitors and always hold out hope they'll get such a console until the last minute, when they finally concede the point.

And there's no reason for Nintendo to sacrifice profit margins for this demographic, because they're going to buy the console anyway.

Why would you set out to make a 15 year old look mature?

Here's a mature response to you specifically...

The only demographic who ever seems to have trouble grasping this concept are the hardcore Nintendo fans who desire a Nintendo console that can compete technologically with it's competitors and always hold out hope they'll get such a console until the last minute, when their fanboi dreams crumble into kitty bitty pieces.

you know, guys ,ofttimes the difference between devil's advocate and plain trolling is the apparent need to restate your opinion every goddamned time anybody says anything. what are you hoping to prove?

It's a standard dual-analog pad with a standard amount of buttons, and a screen in the middle. What's the difference?

If you're already used to the inferior method of playing FPS games (dual-analog) you'll be right at home.

Why is the WiiU controller a standard dual-analogue set-up, and at the same time somehow superior than a standard dual-analogue set-up for FPS games? Does not compute in my eyes.

I can see how the touchpad would benefit other genres like RPGs, action adventure games, RTS/strategy games etc. But it offers next to nothing meaningful for FPS games.

I know you like Nintendo and enjoy their products and games, but at least try to speak with an ounce of objectivity for heavens sake. Otherwise you lose all credibility with your statements. [/protip]

Why is the WiiU controller a standard dual-analogue set-up, and at the same time somehow superior than a standard dual-analogue set-up for FPS games? Does not compute in my eyes.

I know you like Nintendo and enjoy their products and games, but at least try to speak with an ounce of objectivity for heavens sake. Otherwise you lose all credibility with your statements. [/protip]

I never said that dual-analog isn't inferior because it's Nintendo. That's absurd. Dual-analog, as a control scheme for the (currently) more popular genres is unobjectively inferior. My point was: how can one knock on the controller when it's the same controller that everyone else is using but with a touchscreen in the middle? Like a bigger Vita, if you will. It's a standard dual-analog pad but with the bonus of an additional massive input.

Dual analog is a massive downgrade from any pointer system, in my own opinion, and frankly despite the fact that a resistive touchscreen offers accuracy (via stylus) comparable to a mouse doesn't make it much better in the playability aspects of those particular genres.

In my eyes, Nintendo has made a pretty massive mistake in that downgrade but I can see why they're doing it (asymmetrical gameplay, DS style + the current popularity of tablets + the ability for PC-centric genres like the ones you mentioned). The Wiimote and its IR are still supported, and there may even be one in the box, but I'd figure most third-party developers will continue to ignore it and I will continue to purchase my FPS/TPS games where they look and play better than any of the consoles: my PC.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-version-because-of-consoles-more-modern-tech

[Creating the Wii U version] has been pretty easy," he told Eurogamer. "The Wii U is a powerful, powerful machine and it can do a lot of cool new things"
(...)

The Wii U's power, though, is "one thing I can't talk about", he said. "Actually nailing the specs, they haven't come out with them yet."

But, the Wii U version of Aliens will "be better" than the PS3 and Xbox 360 version in terms of visuals, he confirmed. Why? Because of "more modern tech".

Oh, the circles..

This "modern tech" spin is absolutely hilarious.

It´s pure naivety to expect official UE4 support on Wii U for example because of "modern features" if the systems does not have the pure perfomance to run that stuff above 10fps. Some 3rd party might decide disable every eyecandy to just run it but i doubt it. Whole lightning engine seems a bit much..

Modern tech meaning more eDRAM/RAM and using the table controller for realtime radar tracking. All of this sounds like PR fluff to me.

This "modern tech" spin is absolutely hilarious.
It's hilarious to dismiss his comment as spin without even a shred of evidence, but whatever floats your boat mate... :)

It´s pure naivety to expect official UE4 support on Wii U for example because of "modern features" if the systems does not have the pure perfomance to run that stuff above 10fps.
What makes you think that would be the case, other than your own conjecture and uneducated guesses?

Per GAF, Wii U name seems finalized (official logo)

kKO9o.jpg

And Nintendo's official Wii U facebook page is up

https://www.facebook.com/WiiU

Reggie Wii U vid from official Facebook:

Hey, Nintendo fans
:LOL:

Nice to see things start rolling!

Nintendo is depending on their fans to make the WiiU a success?

nono, they are depending on Sony and Microsoft users to get succes.

Actually they are depending on games, lets hope they are good, as i have said several times, it would be a great pleasure to finally play Super Mario in High Definition

Nintendo is depending on their fans to make the WiiU a success?
Since when is a bit of fanservice a bad thing? Anyhoo, in this day and age of social networking, I think stuff like this is just par for the course, he mentions facebook several times and so on, so what this really boils down to is get the word out there, and to use his loyal Nintendo fans as advertising billboards and let them spread it for him.

...Not that that's neccessarily a bad thing mind you. Most gamers prefer an open and relaxed relationship between games publishers and hardware manufacturers and their customers, as opposed to hush-hush up until the moment of release of whatever it might be, game or gadget.

What makes you think that would be the case, other than your own conjecture and uneducated guesses?

Wii U is at current low-end PC range. When first UE4 titles will be released in 2014 it will be even worse compared to PC tech. Just like UE3 UE4 will require most people to upgrade their GPU to run at acceptable framerates unless you have a GTX580+

I never said that dual-analog isn't inferior because it's Nintendo. That's absurd. Dual-analog, as a control scheme for the (currently) more popular genres is unobjectively inferior. My point was: how can one knock on the controller when it's the same controller that everyone else is using but with a touchscreen in the middle? Like a bigger Vita, if you will. It's a standard dual-analog pad but with the bonus of an additional massive input.

Dual analog is a massive downgrade from any pointer system, in my own opinion, and frankly despite the fact that a resistive touchscreen offers accuracy (via stylus) comparable to a mouse doesn't make it much better in the playability aspects of those particular genres.

In my eyes, Nintendo has made a pretty massive mistake in that downgrade but I can see why they're doing it (asymmetrical gameplay, DS style + the current popularity of tablets + the ability for PC-centric genres like the ones you mentioned). The Wiimote and its IR are still supported, and there may even be one in the box, but I'd figure most third-party developers will continue to ignore it and I will continue to purchase my FPS/TPS games where they look and play better than any of the consoles: my PC.

You said:

It's a standard dual-analog pad with a standard amount of buttons, and a screen in the middle. What's the difference?
If you're already used to the inferior method of playing FPS games (dual-analog) you'll be right at home.

It kinda sounded like you were saying that standard dual-analogue controllers are inferior to the WiiU controller. But I think what you meant was that both are inferior control schemes (when compared to mouse or pointers - which I heartily agree with).

By the way, "unobjectively", means "subjectively". So what I think you meant to say was that dual-analogues are objectively inferior to pointers/mice for FPS games ;-)

I hope that Ninty do pack in a Wiimote with the WiiU tho. Or at least Sony packs in a Move with PS4. Pointers need to stay for consoles. Annoyed me that shoddy implementations on the Wii, and silly gamer/press/dev closemindedness has basically stunted development of motion control and pointer based gaming as a whole.

Back