Fact: Nintendo to release HD console + controllers with built-in screen late 2012

Nintendo seems to have rough time convincing 3rd parties to commit resources to system that has no guaranteed installed base. They could even think a Wii U version would just eat sales from other version and not bring much additional money

http://m.ign.com/articles/1222590
"Unfortunately, RE6 will not be available at this time on the Wii U," Kobayashi told us. "Right now we're concentrating on the PlayStation 3 version, 360 version and the PC version of the game."
That says a lot on the on the late THQ unenthusiastic comments about the WiiU especially as they are interested in finding a platform where darksiders 2 would be a more relevant title.

Nintendo seems to have rough time convincing 3rd parties to commit resources to system that has no guaranteed installed base. They could even think a Wii U version would just eat sales from other version and not bring much additional money

http://m.ign.com/articles/1222590
"Unfortunately, RE6 will not be available at this time on the Wii U," Kobayashi told us. "Right now we're concentrating on the PlayStation 3 version, 360 version and the PC version of the game."

Weirdly, the main reason I'm not keen on Wii U ports is they bring in yet another platform to de-optimize the game.

As of now you can probably just aim at PS3 and 360. So you can to some extent hand optimize for each, leading to better graphics on both. Sure's there's PC version, but that probably has little effect as it's probably just the 360 version, let PC superior power smooth out any rough edges.

Throw in yet a third platform, now you're developing a game across three platforms, I'm afraid games could suffer.

RE4 later shipped on PS2, then on PC, then on Wii, then on cell phones, then re-launched on PS3 and X360. RE5 got re-packaged with DLC added and the PS3 version gained Move support. RE Chronicles is being re-packaged to "ship" for PS Move. Capcom is not above putting RE out on anything that will run it, so just be patient if you want a Wii U version.

Yeah but people want to play RE6 within the first few months. They don't want to wait a year for a WiiU version. Also people tend to forget that most don't own multiple consoles so the more multiplatform games on a single console the better. Why get a WiiU to play RE6 down the line when I could easily get it for a console I already own ie X360 or PS3? Now if RE7 was exclusive to WiiU then yeah I could see people buying that console just to play that game.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did read it of course, but I revise my response. I though for this to be newsworthy, the game was coming on other consoles. But as it's not appearing on PS360, why assume it'd make it to Wuu? Hence it isn't news. Perhaps a PR dig to get Nintendo to change their ways, but it's not like Wuu is at a disadvantage vs. PS360 on account of no BGEE as I thought. My bad.

Yeah its not coming out for any consoles, its just an Itunes/Android Market style game. The article should have been titled "Why Trent Oster shouldn't post on twitter drunk" :LOL: He made himself look like an utter tool with the whole "toy" "attach rate" comments.

I guess he was trying to get Nintendo to change their ways. Or just ranting. He's clearly not using BG as leverage though as he's not offering to port it should things change. Change the post to...
"we'd love to bring to Baldur's Gate to Wii U. The touch screen offers an ideal interface yadayada. However, Nintendo's software strategies are lagging far behind rivals and make such a venture unviable. We'd urge all Nintendo fans to encourage Nintendo to bring their policies up to date and remain competitve, so great games like ours can be brought to great platforms like theirs"
...and he may have got somewhere. Well, he doesn't want to. I do think it shows a developer mentality that Nintendo platforms aren't so great for 3rd parties though, which has been a common theme since GC from what I hear on the interwebs.

I guess he was trying to get Nintendo to change their ways. Or just ranting. He's clearly not using BG as leverage though as he's not offering to port it should things change. Change the post to......and he may have got somewhere. Well, he doesn't want to. I do think it shows a developer mentality that Nintendo platforms aren't so great for 3rd parties though, which has been a common theme since GC from what I hear on the interwebs.

Well if the mentality has been common amongst the 3rd parties since the GC then why should we feel or think that the mentality holds no element of truth at all, and then continue to victimise nintendo (not saying that is what you're doing Shifty)?

I agree that the guy was very unprofessional and a bit of a twit, but i'm sure he has his reasons for his perception of Nintendo, just as some other develpers carry negative perceptions of both Sony and Microsoft based on their own studio's (unfortunate) dealings with said publishers.

I hardly think such comments are news-worthy nor worth any meaningful discussion. There are always two sides to every fallout, however in Nintendos case it seems Nintendo does have some seriously prohibitive or anti-productive policies when it comes to 3rd parties developing on their platforms. Perhaps they're changing that, perhaps not, at this point unless you've worked directly with them you wouldn't know.

Ultimately regardless of how the guy phrased his comments, its clear he has no desire to work with Nintendo on any future products, for reasons only he is privvy to, so I don't think anyone should expect him to be diplomatic about the comments he makes about the company, neither should any negative comment from any developer take anything away from your own personal perception of the company and its products if you enjoy those.

Crysis 3 not coming to Wii U:
I had a chance to talk with Rasmus Hoejengaard, Crytek's Director of Creative Development, on what we can expect out of Crysis 3.

As for Wii U support, Rasmus told us there's "not a fat chance" of the game appearing on Nintendo's next system.
So this one really is another game not coming to Wii U, unlike Baldur's Gate.

Is there a list of confirmed titles yet? I don't see much coverage of what is coming to Wuu, especially considering they're supposed ot be courting 3rd parties this time around.
edit : Wiki has a list. Has some major names, although TBH I'm not sure what's coming out on PS360 to be worth avhing anyway!

Doesn't seem like that big a list...Arkham City will be a year old. AC3 I suppose...if they really get something like "Battlefield 4" as the untitled Battlefield, that's nice but since that'd be fall 2013...yeah I doubt that'll even happen, all the excitement will be around next gen by then. Metro Last Light is in tenuous status last I heard, as a result of dev having financial problems, similar to Stalker dev.

Nintendo was asking for it by launching ahead of the cycle. Current consoles will outsell Wii U this holiday season by far 2:1 or more. It was only Nintendo that needed Wii U right now.. not publishers.

Now if it´s not getting the big games from current-gen in 2013 i don't know how this console would become relevant for core gamers before new contenders launch. I don't know if publishers have already decided to leapfrog it and concentrate totally on current-gen now and on PS4/720/PC in future

I´m not convinced the market can support more than two core-gamer focused consoles and PC anyway. It´s very hard for three consoles to garner big enough audience for those games to warrant equal support. So Wii U needs to have a big casual appeal or crack the hardcore market somehow in 2013 with unequal support to do well

If Wii U dosent get off the ground it will be too late to bring new hardware to compete with PS4/720.. so they would need to take a hard look at how much money they spent on Wii U.

Crytek being disinterested is more damning because it likely speaks to Wii U's technical capabilities than anything else. And they are one of the companies Nintendo fans pointed at as being pro Wii U due to that old interview with Cevat.

I suppose Wuu isn't advanced enough to be interesting to develop for, even if it is like 2x PS360 or something, and yet won't have a relevant enough install base to be worth porting too, especially compared to the 120 millionish PS360s. Why port your game to 5 million Wuus? Do 3rd party devs doubt that core gamers will be interested in Wuu as well, making the market even smaller than install bsse?

I do wonder if Nintendo have kinda dug themselves into a hole with Wii that they won't be able to get out of.

I suppose Wuu isn't advanced enough to be interesting to develop for, even if it is like 2x PS360 or something, and yet won't have a relevant enough install base to be worth porting too, especially compared to the 120 millionish PS360s. Why port your game to 5 million Wuus? Do 3rd party devs doubt that core gamers will be interested in Wuu as well, making the market even smaller than install bsse?

I do wonder if Nintendo have kinda dug themselves into a hole with Wii that they won't be able to get out of.

I would say it's more bad decision than anything else.
I still think Patcher was right, Nintendo is late. Too close to next gen system, too far away from wii launch.

Bothering part with Crytech is that they have an engine to sell, if they really pass on WiiU it's more problematic (/ has more implication) than just passing one game.

Perhaps they're impressed with the hardware, and less than impressed with Nintendo's development tools, or perhaps their online infrastructure (there's lots of reasons you could be impressed with hardware and 6months later sour on the actual product). It's not like you're going to get a straight answer at this point.

Back