Fact: Nintendo to release HD console + controllers with built-in screen late 2012

Nintendo has publicly admitted they should have given more emphasis on the console and not just the controller, and the lackluster reaction to the WiiU and the shares' drop are clear evidences for that.

Do you mean post E3? The Wii U stuff on display at E3 looked horribly disappointing to me, odd given that I though they were actually thinking about trying to get core gamers back again. So I talked with a few fellows on the floor to ask them what's up. They both said the same thing, their focus is not the console, it's the controller, and most every demo they had there was to focus on what can be done with the controller. Have they since backtracked on that since E3?

Of these move and wiimote are decent at aiming at the screen, all four suck horribly for turning the view around, wiimote and move a little less than others. For moving around move is pretty much limited to on-rail stuff, others can use their sticks.

See, but with the WuuCon, the view follows your gun. You can pretty much aim anywhere, not just at the objects shown on the television screen in front of you. The mechanism would really be quite similar to how a FPS works currently, except your sense of orientation is much better. If you're looking up, you know you're looking up.

Confirmed no DVD or Blue-ray playback.
Blue-ray is no surprise.
Between TMN on demand,netflix and PSN I can't remember the last time I actually used a physical disk,but some people seem to think this is a big deal.
I wonder why they wouldn't enable at least DVD playback?

See, but with the WuuCon, the view follows your gun. You can pretty much aim anywhere, not just at the objects shown on the television screen in front of you
Yeah but why would I even want to look at the TV when the most important thing is shown on my remote's screen instead? It's almost like it's a really crappy implementation of virtual reality :D

Blue-ray is no surprise.
Between TMN on demand,netflix and PSN I can't remember the last time I actually used a physical disk,but some people seem to think this is a big deal.

Money. Last I heard it was around $5 for licensing (blu-ray is more). On 80million consoles that's not insignificant. How many customers would actually not buy the console because of the lack of that feature? I suspect most of the people who need or want dvd and/or blu-ray playback already own devices that accomplish that goal at this point in time.

Money. Last I heard it was around $5 for licensing (blu-ray is more). On 80million consoles that's not insignificant. How many customers would actually not buy the console because of the lack of that feature? I suspect most of the people who need or want dvd and/or blu-ray playback already own devices that accomplish that goal at this point in time.

It's still $5 per system? WOW, I can see why now.

It's believed to be a custom Blu-ray media. As long as they have enough space on their disc media for HD assets, it's fine.

Pop Quiz Time:

Of the known devices out there, which one has the better chance of getting it to work and work well so it more resembles the actual use of a gun?

A) WuCon
B) WiiMote
C) PS3 Move
D) Kinect

Depends on what FPS game you want to make. If it's a Gundam FPS, then WuCon may work well. You can use the pad to do a giant robot sim like Steel Battlelion. There should be enough real and virtual buttons/levers/sliders/dials on the pad to do a fine job. You can also hack and slash using Gundam's energy sword, or just tap-and-shoot on the screen. Boosted movements may be controlled via the WiiU thumbsticks and gyro.

If using Wiimote+ and PS Move, then essentially it's the same point and shoot game like KZ3 + sword fight like Deadmund's Quest. Thumbstick on navcon/nunchuck for navigation. A gun attachment may add shooting realism, but it may hinder movement. Your mileage may vary.

If it's Kinect, basically you're the robot. And/or you can use the standard controller for FPS experience.

Yeah but why would I even want to look at the TV when the most important thing is shown on my remote's screen instead? It's almost like it's a really crappy implementation of virtual reality :D

If it's mounted screen on the gun attachment, you may be able to do a AR FPS game (like Little Deviants on Vita).

EDIT: ... or not. The WiiU pad doesn't have a back camera. :p

The gun attachment + WiiU set up may be "ok" for off-TV gaming. Need to play personally to find out if it's awkward.

The way I'd implement it is to show a over-the-shoulder third-person view on the television, with the camera pulled back somewhat to gives the player greater situation awareness, and a through-the-rifle-scope view on the WuuCon screen. Most of the time you'd be staring at the TV.

Guys, I don't think we can trust the wattage from that picture. I'll show you why.

2zqyfbm.jpg

Speculate away! I for one found it weird they would have the wattage of the machine on display as a sticker at a convention. Just saying. I assume this is not a photoshop image that someone did for a laugh.

IIRC RSX isn't following the specs of any off the shelf 7800/7900-series, and even if it was for most of the part, the off the shelf parts definately don't have FlexIO ;)
But sure, RSX was quite close, just like XBox's NV2A was quite close.
Only one that comes to mind that could have been actually just that - off the shelf GPU - was Dreamcasts PVR2, but even from that I'm not 100% sure

Dreamcast's PowerVR2DC aka CLX2 graphics chip was a custom variant of PowerVR Series 2, it had 32x32 tile size (i think that's the term) than the Neon250 aka PMX1 PC version which was 16x32.

Anyway guys, back on-topic, take a look at this: http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rumor/26828

Wii U GPU Capable of Graphics for More Than One Controller
by Carmine "Cai" M. Red, Contributing Writer - June 15, 2011 - 3:44 A.M.

Japanese website Game Watch also speculates that the GPU will support Shader Model 4.1 and has a lot in common with the Radeon HD 4000 line of graphic cards.

The Wii U graphics processing unit (GPU), provided by AMD, includes two different output modes, one of which can support generating graphics for the screens on two or more Wii U controllers, according to Game Watch.

Nintendo showed off the Wii U displaying HD graphics on a television screen while wirelessly streaming "SD output" to the screen on the new wireless Wii U controller. But Game Watch's sources report that AMD's GPU design supports a second output mode for the console's GPU which supports not just the HD console output but four "SD images". This undemonstrated functionality could potentially generate graphics for more than one Wii U controller. However, Game Watch states that this second unrevealed output mode is not currently being utilized due to cost concerns.

AMD previously claimed "multiple display support" as a feature of the Wii U GPU. In fact, the "Eyefinity" technology AMD already has in some of their PC graphics cards supports graphical output to anywhere from three to six wired monitors. However, the wireless Wii U controller won't be physically connected to the graphics card, making support for multiple Wii U controllers a larger issue than just the GPU's capabilities.

Game Watch also reports that the Wii U's GPU is based on the AMD Radeon HD 4000 family line of products, which are designed around the RV770 foundation chip. This family of AMD processors saw commercial release in the PC market in 2008 and 2009. The GPU that AMD supplied for the XBox 360 has similarities to the Radeon HD 2000 line of computer graphics cards.

Assuming that none of the Radeon HD 4000 functionality was removed from the custom Wii U chip, the Wii U GPU may support Shader Model 4.1. In comparison, the XBox 360 and PS3 capabilities are at the Shader Model 3.0 level. AMD currently manufactures the Radeon HD 6000 line, featuring Shader Model 5.0.

The Wii U GPU could feature integrated Hardware tessellation that will help it smooth out rough edges on 3D models. Game Watch noted the sharp polygon edges in Nintendo's "Japanese Garden Demo" and therefore doubted the use of a tessellation stage in the tech demo.

While there is plenty of speculation on the features that the Wii U graphics chip might have, AMD has not yet released information on the GPU's clock speed, number of shader units, memory bandwidth, and other specs. These details, and other as-of-yet unknown customizations to the Wii U GPU, are also important factors in the GPU's overall performance.

Blue-ray is no surprise.

So, next speculation, what X speed is the Blu Ray (I assume it's Blu Ray without playback ability to save license costs) in Wii U :smile:? 2X or 4X?

2w could actually probably look pretty damn spiffy today, given mobile technology :LOL:

I mean, how many watts would a Vita use? (I really have no idea, but I assume very little)

an ipad 2 is 2-3 watts. (25Wh battery, ~10hour use)

I'd guess Vita would use a bit more power.

They'd also have to develop a full playback stack for Blu-ray that would work on their custom hardware, including a Java implementation. They probably are happy to avoid the hassle.

Back