Fact: Nintendo to release HD console + controllers with built-in screen late 2012

What about the official Ubisoft comments?
I think some people only read every other line/post!

pc999 said:
Anyway, there is anything pointing to with not being 50%+than PS360 :?: Anything at all?
me said:
The current demo's haven't demonstrated anything of the sort of considerably more power.
lilbroK said:
I completely disagree. That Zelda demo demonstrated that all to clearly without even getting into that demo with the bird. Do you see that demo running on PS3 or 360 hardware?
me again said:
...The bird feature is not exhibiting anything mind-boggling in performance or features, and it's a tech demo which tend to look better than what's achieved in game...I don't think that demo was pushing the hardware...I think there's more under the hood than the demos demonstrated, but the demos themselves prove nothing regards hardware superiority over PS360.
In summary, I'm not saying Wuu isn't 50%+ PS360, but that there is some inconclusive evidence that it isn't. And you were asking if there was any evidence that it isn't. ;)

this one.
Might be a fake tho but would make sense for them to launch in 2013 and to try to kill N launch.

Thanks, that would be good as will help bring Wii U prices down:D.

Although I dont expect they can launch them before 2013, would that be enough for Wii U to have a lead?

It will be also quite interesting to see the third partys reactions (EA, Activision and lately Id too), as they have been quite vocal about not releasing a next gen to soon (bedore 2015). Because they dont want to invest so much again, much lest so soon.

Intersting times to come.

I think what they're probably doing is looking at this gen's consoles, and fixing the problems that developers had with them. Getting rid of bottlenecks, adding more RAM, etc.

It's kind of what the Wii was to the Gamecube.

I'm not sure if it'll hurt the Wii U much, even if Sony and MS decide to make a console that's a lot more powerful. We're reaching a point where everything pretty much looks good with some effort put into it.

I mean shit, I watched the demo of Samaritan and was unimpressed. I mean, it looks great, but to me, it didn't seem like a HUGE leap. Not like the last few generations.

Add to this that engines can scale really well these days, and the Wii U will still probably get ports from the new systems..

Joystiq has close ups of the case. Going by the cooling and the apparent 45 Watt max power draw I doubt one can hope for much more than parity with 360/PS3. Edit: For comparison, the 360S (manufactured on a similar 45nm process as the one announced by IBM for the WII U CPU) uses a 135 Watt power supply.

Last edited by a moderator:
this one.
Might be a fake tho but would make sense for them to launch in 2013 and to try to kill N launch.

The next 12-16 months should be very interesting for sure.
Obviously Nintendo knows MSony have their systems coming.
All of them are constrained by the same limitations so it's not as simple as saying "Xbox 720 way more powerful..WINNING!"
Their will be a price to go along with the higher power. Time to get games up and running, the whole hurdles that come with getting momentum into a new gen. etc etc. Will very early Xbox 720 games look significantly better than WiiU games? Plus who knows how MS will respond to this Nintendo news. Do they scale back their systems power now to be more cost competitive. Or do they go all out to distance themselves from WiiU and take the early losses?
If it's too early to tell how the WiiU is going to do with what we know,it's certainly WAY too early to tell what will happen with Xbox 720.

AllThingsD interviewed Iwata:

Nintendo’s Iwata Hopes the Wii U Will Steal Back Couch Time From the iPad (Part 1)
http://allthingsd.com/20110614/part...i-u-will-steal-back-couch-time-from-the-ipad/

After you announced the Wii U, I wrote that you are competing for time spent on the living room couch — whether someone is using their laptop, or using a tablet to Skype, or playing a game on the phone. Is this a response to trying to take couch time back?

I think it’s an accurate and acute insight into the situation.

Our mission is to try to shorten the distance between people and gaming, and in order to do so we tried to remove any possible barriers. If you like to play console games, you have to do so on the TV and you have to change the TV’s input and other things. We wanted to remove even these barriers. One of the ways to take advantage of that is to get access to some game-related information [on the Wii U's tablet]. It’s competition for couch time.

Once again, even though, we used a system that caters to the needs of the most skillful players, we are also trying to reach out to the people who are not interested in video games.
I think that we have been able to reduce a number of issues with this.

*shrugs* I don't know. I saw it on youtube. Youtube themselves doesn't support 60fps. I wouldn't know what the frame rate was on that demo.

I can see it clearly even on youtube being that it is not something to be supported... The video is what displays at 60 FPS not youtube. Youtube only plays the videos. Where did you get the information that YouTube "doesn't support" 60 FPS? That doesn't make any sense.

Then perhaps you should go to the eye doctor because its I can see it clearly even on youtube being that it is not something to be supported... The video is what displays at 60 FPS not youtube. Youtube only plays the videos. Where did you get the information that YouTube "doesn't support" 60 FPS? That doesn't make any sense.

I saw off screen video. I never like to judge things based on off screen. Plus, youtube only encodes 30fps.

Then perhaps you should go to the eye doctor because its I can see it clearly even on youtube being that it is not something to be supported... The video is what displays at 60 FPS not youtube. Youtube only plays the videos. Where did you get the information that YouTube "doesn't support" 60 FPS? That doesn't make any sense.

None of the videos i have seen have show the Zelda demo running at 60fps, can you link to one?

All the videos on youtube are 30fps, its impossible to see 60fps in a 30fps video...

Then perhaps you should go to the eye doctor because its I can see it clearly even on youtube being that it is not something to be supported... The video is what displays at 60 FPS not youtube.
:???: YouTube videos are always presented at 30 fps max. If you upload a 60 fps clip, it's reduced to 30fps to be viewed. Ergo it's impossible to discern 30 or 60 fps game footage from a YouTube clip because what you see is always 30fps at best. Rather than DeadlyNinja getting his eyes checked, maybe you should go find a shrink because if you're seeing 60 fps in 30fps footage, you're seeing things and that clearly isn't normal. You may also want to go get evening classes to learn how technology works.

Alternatively you could be a little less offensive, a little less arrogant, and a little more open to reason, and you might learn something.

Joystiq has close ups of the case. Going by the cooling and the apparent 45 Watt max power draw I doubt one can hope for much more than parity with 360/PS3. Edit: For comparison, the 360S (manufactured on a similar 45nm process as the one announced by IBM for the WII U CPU) uses a 135 Watt power supply.

Wow, that's a lot! Does it really need it tough? It seems highly inefficient to me.
45W seems reasonable for the size of the box, but is really a tough power budget, but with AMD Llano mobile quadcores at 35W TDP it seems okay (with 400 stream processors this)

My guess is a Power7 based custom tricore CPU @2,0-2,5GHz and AMD Evergreen based GPU with 320 stream processors @500-600 MHz. Again splitted memory pool like Wii with 512MB+1GB to 1GB+1GB (a bit optimistic but hey :)

Going by the cooling and the apparent 45 Watt max power draw I doubt one can hope for much more than parity with 360/PS3. Edit: For comparison, the 360S (manufactured on a similar 45nm process as the one announced by IBM for the WII U CPU) uses a 135 Watt power supply.
Where did you get that 45W max power draw figure?

In the PowerPC A2 document from IBM they say that a AT Nest running at 1.8Ghz (4 cores+2MB L2 Cache) has a power consumption of 6W only, combine this with an AMD E4690+512MB GDDR3 (25W both) and the E/S and you have the entire logic board consuming around 35-40W including the modified BluRay Drive.

:???: YouTube videos are always presented at 30 fps max. If you upload a 60 fps clip, it's reduced to 30fps to be viewed. Ergo it's impossible to discern 30 or 60 fps game footage from a YouTube clip because what you see is always 30fps at best. Rather than DeadlyNinja getting his eyes checked, maybe you should go find a shrink because if you're seeing 60 fps in 30fps footage, you're seeing things and that clearly isn't normal. You may also want to go get evening classes to learn how technology works.

Alternatively you could be a little less offensive, a little less arrogant, and a little more open to reason, and you might learn something.

Woah... hold up here.

Youtube isn't the only place that hosts video nor the first place I saw it.

What I look at is the animation to see if there are pockets in it and if movements jeck or skip.

Nothing I stated was intentionally meant to sound aggressive. I was trying to say it humorously like in this http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2011/3/14/ , though now that I look at it, I could have worded that a lot better.

The differences I were referring to were like these.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1Rih6mhVLA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn1nQNCJa9Y&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voto6njwvpY&feature=related

The videos show the difference clearly (to me) even with the YouTube downgrade and I was simply pointing out that I can see differences like that in the videos, ie the Zelda video. It looks 60 FPS (to me) just like the 60 FPS in those videos looks different than the 30 FPS in those videos. That last video is the best example. I can see the difference between not only the 30 FPS to 60 but also the 60 FPS to 1000. Its not 100% crystal clear like it would be in real time but it is noticeable(to me). You are telling me I can't see something that I'm seeing clearly. It may not look like that to you and it doesn't have to. What I perceive may differ from what you and he may perceive. If you think my sight is abnormal then it maybe but that is what I see. I guess I need to see a shrink just like you say.

I assure that I was not talking down to him in any way form or fashion and where have I shown an unwillingness to listen to reason? I'm not saying you him or anyone else has something wrong with him nor am I trying to insult anyone. The eye doctor statement was intended as a jest as I said earlier.

I am just asserting that I disagree and am presenting my own perceptions. Nothing more. I don't expect everyone to agree with what I have to say and accept that it is their right to speak their on beliefs, but I won't agree to something I do not believe to be true hence the statement "Where did you get the information that YouTube "doesn't support" 60 FPS? That doesn't make any sense." as I did not know about the downgrade and wanted an explanation. What is unreasonable about that? If I didn't want to listen to reason then I wouldn't have asked him for an explanation.

Well, thats enough of that. I don't intend to take this off topic. I just wanted to make things clear.

Also, It seems that Wii U will not upscaling Wii games. Tis a bit disappointing considering how good a lot of games look with simple upscaling. I can not figure out why Nintendo does these things. This is just like that ridiculous SD card lock that had on the card reader in the Wii.

Back