Fact: Nintendo to release HD console + controllers with built-in screen late 2012

I think this kind of thing could prove to be detrimental to games, and not a benefit. There's this idea that you can put HUD information and maps on the secondary screen so the main display is clear and more "immersive", But this is actually moving in the opposite direction of things like new cars that project information on the windscreen so you don't have to look down at the dash to see your speed, gear, gas, etc. Likewise fighter jets all use heads up displays so pilots aren't distracted having to look down at instrument panels. Games have already experimented with putting important information closer to the reticle so you don't have to look to the edge of the screen when you are trying to aim at a moving target for fear of losing track.

There are sure to be good uses for a second screen, but I think the utility for "core" games, in specific these multiplatform ports, is going to be extremely limited.

I agree. We have HUDs for a reason. I think the controller could be useful as a map maybe for a game not unlike Uncharted where you might need a map to hunt for treasure, or use the tablet screen like Drake's journal, swiping pages with the journal up and useful while you're exploring an area.

Perhaps for a tactical shooter, you could use the controller's tablet stylus functionality to lay out a specific path for your AI buddies to take when they storm a room or area, instead of "go to this spot". Perhaps like in MW2, you can use the tablet to aim and guide incoming missiles, or as your view for the AC-130 gunship, while still being vulnerable to enemies that you can still see via your FPS view on the main screen, and take appropriate action against.

It's just that when in the thick of it, you don't want to take your eyes off your main screen when that needs to be your main field of attention. It's not that the second monitor can't immerse you, it just that it needs to actually lend itself to experience, not be an unnecessarily utilized gimmick.

If a reliable friend offers me even odds on Wii U selling less than 30 million in the first 3 years after it's release, I'd put some money on that. :smile: Nintendo apparently thinks the main selling point of Wii U is the controller, more so than graphics or anything else. If that's the best part of Wii U, then I'm not optimistic about it.

The screen on the controller is a highly redundant use of resources, which can be more profitably spent elsewhere. As others have said, you can only stare at either the TV or the small screen normally. Things you put on the small screen can simply be shown via a menu or HUD. The time sharing of your focus naturally matches the time sharing of information on your TV. Even with the 2nd screen, you may want to pause the game anyway to stop being attacked when you're looking away.

Do not think it's just like the DS dual screens and therefore should be a plus. The DS screens are close together and even on DS, the screens would be easier to see if it's in one piece with equivalent resolution. The dual screens on DS is good for folding and portability which isn't applicable here.

IMO, this Wii-pad is just too ambitious a project to invest in. Introducing the Wiimote isn't really comparable and I'm not sure the Nintendo decision makers realize this. This Wii-pad is a lot more risky because the desire for doing the things Wiimote does has clearly been around for a long time while I can't see much desire for doing the things this Wii-pad brings so far.

The desire for a pointing device, for some kind of easy to use 2D interface can be easily seen from the mouse. Nintendo brought that to the DS and was handsomely rewarded for it. The desire for motion gaming has also been witnessed by the Eyetoy and various less famous previous attempts even though they may not work too well. Wiimote taps into the desires for pointing and motion gaming and again, Nintendo earned a lot of money with it.

Having been rewarded like that, it's always likely they'd obsess with the control again. However, what does the Wii-pad bring that people have always wanted? (I'm talking about the Wii-pad specifically, not "a Nintendo console" which of course brings Nintendo games.)
1) A 2nd, small screen in your hands. It probably doesn't hurt per se, but does it warrant the added cost? As stated above, I think this is a highly inefficient use of resources.
2) Stream games to a small screen when you can't use the big TV. I haven't seen much appetite for that apart from isolated cases. I think more people stream videos, but Nintendo isn't selling that. (If you're often denied access to the big TV, it should be cheaper to simply buy a screen compatible with your current console and games instead of a Wii U.)
3) As a touchscreen interface. Things that can be done with this pad but can't be done with Wiimote, most likely require a lot of accuracy like drawing. I mean careful drawing, not just quickly dabble and slash which can be done with Wiimote. This aspect is available on DS. One way to gauge interest in this is to ask how often do you see DS games with emphasis on high precision input on the touchscreen. I'm not a DS gamer but my impression says few. Is this aspect valuable enough to justify the cost?
4) Remotely running software other than games is possible but there is the question of how much is a tablet worth if it's tied to the reception range of Wii U and in any case, Nintendo doesn't seem likely to offer many apps or let Wii U run Android.

The Wii-pad isn't adding what people obviously desires, unlike the Wiimote and DS. It needs to unearth desires unknown to warrant the cost. It's risky business banking on that.

My opinion is they'd be better off allocating the Wii-pad cost to a combination of: 1) pocket it as profit, 2) refine the Wiimote, 3) increase the processing power 4) reduce the price and 5) fund development of exclusive games.

How is this for creative use of the controller?

http://gamrtv.vgchartz.com/video/1573/ghost-recon-online-wii-u-trailer/

I like being able to see a map without having to enter a menu in game and getting shot while looking.

In that video is already much more than looking at the map, in the other gameplay cam videos you see them using the controler for the drones and more. Not as innovative as wii but great stuff none less

gameplay KillerFreaks
2 consoles -2 controllers?
http://n4g.com/news/783296/gameplay-of-upcoming-wii-u-shooter-killer-freaks-from-outer-space

http://www.develop-online.net/news/37999/Programming-guru-gives-insight-into-Wii-U-tech

Square Enix claim they are considering making a Final Fantasy game for Wii U.

WiiNES :)

Last night I tried a demo on a 3DS (it comes with the console?) that is similar in idea to the KF controls, very fun, I am sold on the idea:!:
And good news on FF too !

BTW very intersting can it bepossible that Wii U still resemble Wii at some level:?:

Wii NES for the WAY

In terms of what the tablet is for,I really think in Nintendo's mind it was probably first envisioned as a response to simple touch screen games to compete with Apple,period.
It seems that they are trying to cover all their corners. HD for core and this new tablet for the Ipad type games. In a sense, two separate platforms.
Now later it may have morphed into more and more possibilities may have cropped up for traditional games as was bound to happen,but I'm less interested in the controllers use for AAA games than I am in having smaller simple games as well as traditional games.
If you think of it in those terms it's would be nice to envision having this one console
that can suit many gaming wants. Rather than focusing on the negatives that may come for traditional games. That is assuming that good devs won't try and shoehorn crap controls into regular games. If they use it when it makes sense I think it will be okay.
Plus I would hope to see a bunch of smaller devs bring over their Ipad type games to the
WiiU shop channel.
I just think core gamers are seeing this tablet in the wrong light and missing the bigger picture.
Much of that is Nintendo's fault though due to it's focus on how this controller will work with traditional games. But it is E3 and most of the audience os core gamers.
I think Nintendo could have done a better job of messaging that this is really two platform in one.

Existing PS360 gamers have a software library baggage. Nintendo need to attract new core gamers or existing fans first. Those "graduating" out of DSs would be perfect.

You mean those graduating out of Wii would be perfect. There's 80 million of them, after all. More importantly, their games, balance boards and wii-mote+ controllers all carry over.

The advantage in similarities to the DS are more conceptually: there is a similarity between the DS and 3DS and the Wii-U setup that your main living-room TV will never have a direct touch interface, so the second screen can fill in that gap very similarly. All the solutions and ideas found for that setup for the DS and 3DS can be reused and expanded upon for Wii U. In that respect I think the setup may almost be more interesting for those (few) who do not yet have a DS or 3DS.

As for the power of the machine, it is early days. I think that the final machine will be more powerful than the 360 and the PS3, and have 1GB of RAM instead of 512MB (Assassin's Creed developers suggested as much). The main question will be how much work it is to extract the same kind of performance out of the machine versus the 360 and PS3's more optimised engines.

Even if the Wii U becomes the most powerful of the three for a (little?) while in terms of graphics, then the next question is at least for multi-platform titles, what the advantages of the controls are going to be, if any. The Wii U controller (I'd like to call it WuCon from here on ;) ) doesn't immediately convince me as a comfortable replacement for a smaller, lighter regular dual shock type controller. The analog sticks are the same type as on the 3DS, which I think are a big improvement over the analog nub of the original PSP, but I have a feeling that if you were to rank them, the order would be: analog nub < 3DS / WuCon disc thing < Vita's smaller Analog Stick < regular Analog Stick. So that means you may end up having a regular analog stick controller from the Wii (with the GameCube ones seemingly no longer supported), the Wii-Mote and Nunchuck combo, and the WuCon. That's getting really cluttered. And for multi-player games, things get even more confusing.

This means that unless a multi-platform game is going to make good use of the WuCon or at the very least a great implementation of the Wii-Motion+ controller / Nunchuck combo (with a tiny concern on relative accuracy decrease with HD displays, but it's probably fine), things could get pretty complicated. But they need to get it right almost immediately at launch, because I'd wager at most 3 years before a next-gen system is launched.

In addition, that completely leaves out the PSN and Xbox Live services. We have no idea yet whether Nintendo willl bring its service up to speed in that area, and for existing gamers it will not be easy to switch.

But those 80 million existing Wii owners are going to be the primary target, and the way to convince them is going to be similar to how Wii owners have been convinced before: by offering a unique experience, and with the advantage of keeping existing hardware, software and unique Nintendo brands.

Of course there is a tonne more to say, but it will be ever so increasingly interesting to see where the market will go from here.

In that video is already much more than looking at the map, in the other gameplay cam videos you see them using the controler for the drones and more. Not as innovative as wii but great stuff none less

? They showed the drone being controlled by the controller in that video. That was one of the main things I was talking about and I wasn't talking about there being a map. I was talking about how you could see a detailed map that showed you were all of your allies were in the game as well as other information relevelant ot he match without having to going into the menu like you would have to do on games like call of duty. Its far superior to a mini map in the corner and a scoreboard/bullet count in the HUD.

Being able to be in one place in the game and looking at a completely different location "in detail" at the exact same time sounds pretty new to me. The only other way you could do that is to be playing the game with someone playing it on another T.V. in the same match in the same (physical)room you are in.

? They showed the drone being controlled by the controller in that video. That was one of the main things I was talking about and I wasn't talking about there being a map. I was talking about how you could see a detailed map that showed you were all of your allies were in the game as well as other information relevelant ot he match without having to going into the menu like you would have to do on games like call of duty. Its far superior to a mini map in the corner and a scoreboard/bullet count in the HUD.

Being able to be in one place in the game and looking at a completely different location "in detail" at the exact same time sounds pretty new to me. The only other way you could do that is to be playing the game with someone playing it on another T.V. in the same match in the same (physical)room you are in.

Sorry just notice them coordinating themselves with the map (voice for the game too:)).

Anyway like I said great stuff

Yes Arwin, it's Nintendo's consolidation since it unifies Wii, DS and some iOS elements. They also wonder if there needs to be a line between core gamers and casuals. While most of us think of them as separate markets, it would be amazing if they can create games that straddle both.

You mean those graduating out of Wii would be perfect. There's 80 million of them, after all. More importantly, their games, balance boards and wii-mote+ controllers all carry over.

I don't have any data on hand but from what I recall a significant number of Wii owners also own Xbox 360s or PS3s.

But not a huge difference from bringing up a full screen map. When you look at the hud on the WuuPad, you are not looking at the TV, which is no different to bringing up a map on the TV. Now as there's typically a button press involved and normally not an immediate one (reach over to press centre buttons on controller), then the obtrusiveness of this in a game is more than you'd get looking down at the WuuPad, so I accept there's an advantage. But it's a small one, and not in itself much to convince players of COD on PS360 to migrate.

But not a huge difference from bringing up a full screen map. When you look at the hud on the WuuPad, you are not looking at the TV, which is no different to bringing up a map on the TV. Now as there's typically a button press involved and normally not an immediate one (reach over to press centre buttons on controller), then the obtrusiveness of this in a game is more than you'd get looking down at the WuuPad, so I accept there's an advantage. But it's a small one, and not in itself much to convince players of COD on PS360 to migrate.

Well it is the kind of thing you have to try to know if it is better or not, or just if it is better for you(U) or not. It may simply not suit you.

I'm skeptical of the Wii U at the moment. There really isn't enough information for me to form an opinion. I do hope they at least go with something several times more powerful than the existing consoles. That shouldn't even be hard.

What worries me most is their online solution, but we'll have to see.

As for the controller. Aside from only being able to use one per console, I can see some very interesting ideas for it.

Imagine something like Demon's Souls, where four players move through out the dungeon, and the fifth player controls the monsters, traps, etc, in the dungeon. Maybe even the bosses themselves!

That would be amazing.

There's potential here, but this is Nintendo. I'm going to wait for more information.

If the core gameplay is better than CoD, then that itself could be enough to get players to migrate. As for using the controller for drone controller, etc, like in CoD, it allows players a chance to do there thing while being able to watch their main screen for enemies that would ruin the "fun" they are having being linked into a remote UAV, or using an AC-130, etc.

I think Nintendo should be clear with developers that if they are to develop a game for the system, they need to be selective and thoughtful about how they use the "WuCon" :LOL:, while reinforcing the idea that even though it's there, they shouldn't feel required to use it. It's a pretty big deal that the "Wu" can now run those same games the PS360 can, perhaps with much better graphics if developers are willing to push it (unlikely), and I think Nintendo should be willing to let developers use that to their advantage if they want instead of having to unnecessarily integrate WuCon features. I can't help but see Nintendo bully 3rd parties into using the controller though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it is the kind of thing you have to try to know if it is better or not, or just if it is better for you(U) or not. It may simply not suit you.
That specific example I think would be better for everyone, but not $300 worth better! :p

That specific example I think would be better for everyone, but not $300 worth better! :p

What about with a lot more of similar examples?

Nintendo should dive into their cash reserves and buy exclusives rights to the next COD. Job done!

If they go to their cash reserves they could probably buy Activision, and Valve at the same time, with change to pick Bioware or Bethesda too and you have a winner :LOL:

Nintendo should dive into their cash reserves and buy exclusives rights to the next COD. Job done!

Or get someone to create a better game than CoD, hype the shit out of it, get it into journalists' hands, advertise the shit out of it as well, have it review excellently......

Just thought about it, it would be really cool to see Ubi make Ghost Recon Online cross platform between PC and Wu players.

What about with a lot more of similar examples?

If they go to their cash reserves they could probably buy Activision, and Valve at the same time, with change to pick Bioware or Bethesda too and you have a winner :LOL:

Funny thing. By the end of 2011, Apple could buy Nintendo with all that cash reserve they have.

http://www.asymco.com/2011/01/19/20...-acceleration-suggests-100-billion-next-year/

Putting aside so much money.. maybe they are really aiming for a big company.

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't it pretty difficult for a Western co to buy a mainstay Japanese company? Culturally not really sure they "allow" it. In theory Nintendo might be buyable but I'm not so sure in practice.

Not that I think Apple would be interested.

That would cause a massive uproar, and be the end of COD at the same time...maybe 10% would follow it onto the Nintendo platform I'd guess.

BF3 would probably become the instant new hardcore MP standard in that scenario.

Back