Fact: Nintendo to release HD console + controllers with built-in screen late 2012

Go easy with me :D i didn't say hanhelds. But yea, learned about that the other day, what gives?

Heh heh, nothing.... Sony breaks consumers' wishes and heart once in a while. :)
How come the press didn't probe further ?

I am starting to think what else a pad can add to the PS3 and Wii U (wish they picked a different name). May be rather than posting here, I should port Open RemotePlay to iOS. There is a $1000 reward for the port somewhere on the net.

Regarding the Reggie interview at GameTrailers, am I the only one who thought "BS" when he said there was no way to upscale Wii games on the Wii U? The system should be powerful enough to emulate the Wii, which I understand creates it's own share of problems to solve, but I think the benefits far outweigh the negatives. Was also really disappointed that support for GC games has been dropped too. I had hoped this new Ninty console would be my central Nintendo machine where I could play Wii, GC, and VC games all upscaled.

Makes me wonder if they have a Hollywood GPU (or variant) in the system for hardware BC. Maybe even emulating the CPU with their current CPU, much like Sony did with their hybrid BC method in the PS3.

They can follow Sony and MS and release HD edition of GameCube games.
Yea, the HD remastering trend is too juicy of a steak for Nintendo to pass on it. Main reason for Nintendo to have Wii back compatibility is to bridge Wii audience into the new console.

Chances are, depending on how storage is handled in terms of capacity and solutions, you could see the remastered versions of the best GC games as downloadable items and at retail of course.

My point exactly - the controller is intrinsically tied to the shooter genre - there are more than a few people who will get COD/BF only for Xbox because they prefer the 360 controller rather than the DS3 (and vice versa too).

I don't know if hardcore gamers will like it, but the Wii U controller can make shooters a lot more accessible to newcomers to the genre. Using the screen for aiming is intuitive. If you know how to shoot a picture with a digital camera, you can easily pick it up. Weapon selection will be easy too with the touch screen. Reload can be best handled using a gesture, so you can do it without looking down after a while. In theory, you can map couching and leaning around the corner to actual body motions. To make your character crouch you just crouch. To shoot around a corner, just step out to the side, aim, fire, and step back in. Probably not something that appeals to hardcore gamers as it involves physical activity, but the health conscious, active type should love it.

Yeah I realize HD remakes are tempting, I'm still disappointed.

Do you have a lot of GameCube games ?

I don't know if hardcore gamers will like it, but the Wii U controller can make shooters a lot more accessible to newcomers to the genre. Using the screen for aiming is intuitive. If you know how to shoot a picture with a digital camera, you can easily pick it up. Weapon selection will be easy too with the touch screen. Reload can be best handled using a gesture, so you can do it without looking down after a while. In theory, you can map couching and leaning around the corner to actual body motions. To make your character crouch you just crouch. To shoot around a corner, just step out to the side, aim, fire, and step back in. Probably not something that appeals to hardcore gamers as it involves physical activity, but the health conscious, active type should love it.

I think we will find many intuitive UI for a (large enough) touch screen + dual stick controller. I am most excited by the Nintendo's Wii UI trailer _and_ the fan made ideas. Nintendo should tear a page from Sony's book, and do [drum roll] user generated content in a separate online area.

OK I'm gonna speak carefully here and this is not trolling but the more I think of Wii U the more I'm convinced it's going to be a complete failure of epic proportions. Here's why:

-Power, specifically that it lacks. I know there are those who believe, just like those who believed about the Wii, that it's secretly a beast under the hood. And they will convince themselves that no matter what. I do understand that it isn't set in stone, but from everything we have seen so far imo Wii looks like it is struggling to keep up with 360 and PS3. I think this is just terrible and cant be overstated what a tactical mistake this was. It means it's never going to be perceived as worth any price premium, and I suspect they're going to price it as high as $300-$400. I think it's simply going to have huge problems selling right from the get go. And if you think Nintendo is invincible in that area check out the 3DS.

-The controller, I really see very few relevant applications that make any sense at all. It's kind of neat in a whizzbang way, but anything you can put on a controller screen is usually better put on a onscreen HUD anyway imo, where you can see it without having to stop playing and look down. Then add that we keep hearing bad things about it, it only works with one controller? So the famed case of, multiplayer Madden each guy can call his plays secretly, well even that simple case doesnt work anymore. The fact it's a resistive touchscreen hurts too. Wont be any good as any kind of tablet when it's off duty or anything. The idea of playing games when the TV is in use, not compelling, most household probably have 4 TV's nowdays. Further the controller is going to keep the cost of the system high, and not just initially. Talk all you want about how cheap component X is, I do not see many devices with high quality LCD's for less than $100. Add that we keep hearing more gotchas that sound bad, such as you have to be in the same room for it to work.

And, I guess that's pretty much it. Unless, and this is still possible, it packs more under the hood punch than they've let on so far, this looks like an epic disaster to me. Would not surprise me if it has to be scrapped within 2-3 years, and I'm not joking. Which might not actually be a terrible thing for Nintendo, as if they sell it profitable day one and didn't spend too much R&D. it wont kill them, though it may cost a lot of consumer goodwill.

I think the touch screen controller is pretty cool idea and I'm certain we'll see some fun and innovative use for it. for example in fallout it could be the Pitboy and any adventure/rpg game could use it as some sort of cool electronic gadget that does lot's of different stuff. I like some of the multiplayer ideas that have been thrown around as well. In any case I think it's too early to say for sure as we haven't really seen any proper software for it yet.

I wouldn't wage money on it repeating the success of Wii though, but with proper marketing and it being combatible with Wii software and controllers I can see it as a first choice upgrade path to current Wii owners. It'll still get similar Wii like games and Nintendo should be able to come up with something interesting also.

Do you have a lot of GameCube games ?

No I don't have any actually lol

However I have enjoyed a number of GC exclusives (REmake for example) and have seen Wind Waker running on the Dolphin emulator, which looked great.

I just had hopes of playing GC and Wii games I enjoyed before or missed entirely, only this time upscaled.

Not to mention, with my shrinking shelf space, I much rather have just a Wii U than a Wii U and a Wii/GC to play all the Ninty games I want.

1080P windwaker would be really nice but I probably wouldn't buy a HD remake for $40 or whatever. I think if they're willing to give you full BC with Wii, then emulating gamecube games in HD wouldn't hurt their bottom line much.

OK I'm gonna speak carefully here and this is not trolling but the more I think of Wii U the more I'm convinced it's going to be a complete failure of epic proportions. Here's why:

-Power, specifically that it lacks. I know there are those who believe, just like those who believed about the Wii, that it's secretly a beast under the hood. And they will convince themselves that no matter what. I do understand that it isn't set in stone, but from everything we have seen so far imo Wii looks like it is struggling to keep up with 360 and PS3. I think this is just terrible and cant be overstated what a tactical mistake this was. It means it's never going to be perceived as worth any price premium, and I suspect they're going to price it as high as $300-$400. I think it's simply going to have huge problems selling right from the get go. And if you think Nintendo is invincible in that area check out the 3DS.

Well there's no question that it's more powerful than the PS3/360. Developers have said as much when asked about how they expect the WiiU ports of their games to look, the question is how much more powerful it is. I'm just hoping it's closer to modern PC specs than to PS360.

Last edited by a moderator:
Excuse me? What makes you think a 4890 would even begin to be viable in such a small box that's almost the size of the full card? It's simple logic.

Excuse me? What makes you think a 4890 would even begin to be viable in such a small box that's almost the size of the full card? It's simple logic.

I don't think he's replying directly to your comment but asking for your guess/prediction as to what could plausibly fit in a box that size.

1080P windwaker would be really nice but I probably wouldn't buy a HD remake for $40 or whatever. I think if they're willing to give you full BC with Wii, then emulating gamecube games in HD wouldn't hurt their bottom line much.

They probably wouldn't sell a windwalker remake, but a OoT, MM, Windwalker and TP remake at $40 (maybe 50? -- actually, will we see Nintendo titles at the $60 mark too?). And uprezzing BC seems like a poor idea for a platform holder.

The basic issue is if you cannot discuss the positive aspects of the system, you're probably grossing over the analysis. It sounds like you only focus on the negative points. Perhaps that is why the more you think, the more you believe it would be an epic failure ?

Also your data seems out of thin air. I don't think most homes have 4 TVs. In addition, have you considered countries outside US ? ^_^

I think the touch screen controller is pretty cool idea and I'm certain we'll see some fun and innovative use for it. for example in fallout it could be the Pitboy and any adventure/rpg game could use it as some sort of cool electronic gadget that does lot's of different stuff. I like some of the multiplayer ideas that have been thrown around as well. In any case I think it's too early to say for sure as we haven't really seen any proper software for it yet.

I wouldn't wage money on it repeating the success of Wii though, but with proper marketing and it being combatible with Wii software and controllers I can see it as a first choice upgrade path to current Wii owners. It'll still get similar Wii like games and Nintendo should be able to come up with something interesting also.

Yap... no content to see whether it'd be a hit yet.

But I think it is possible that the iPad/iPhone momentum may groom a new breed of core gamers who swear by touch screen.... just like we have mouse-n-keyboard gamers, and dual stick gamers today. Nintendo and Sony may be in the fight for them. We will also see new touch screen innovation.

They probably wouldn't sell a windwalker remake, but a OoT, MM, Windwalker and TP remake at $40 (maybe 50? -- actually, will we see Nintendo titles at the $60 mark too?). And uprezzing BC seems like a poor idea for a platform holder.

I wouldn't mind playing WindWaker again using new control schemes and expanded maps ! Really :love: the treasure hunting although I know some folks hated it. I liked to sail without looking at the compass and follow the stars in the sky. Nintendo left the Great Dipper in the night sky to tell you where North is.

I couldn't appreciate OoT though. It was bundled with WindWaker. I abandoned "halfway". Would be nice if they upgrade the graphics.

-The controller, I really see very few relevant applications that make any sense at all. It's kind of neat in a whizzbang way, but anything you can put on a controller screen is usually better put on a onscreen HUD anyway imo, where you can see it without having to stop playing and look down. Then add that we keep hearing bad things about it, it only works with one controller? So the famed case of, multiplayer Madden each guy can call his plays secretly, well even that simple case doesnt work anymore. The fact it's a resistive touchscreen hurts too. Wont be any good as any kind of tablet when it's off duty or anything. The idea of playing games when the TV is in use, not compelling, most household probably have 4 TV's nowdays. Further the controller is going to keep the cost of the system high, and not just initially. Talk all you want about how cheap component X is, I do not see many devices with high quality LCD's for less than $100. Add that we keep hearing more gotchas that sound bad, such as you have to be in the same room for it to work.

And, I guess that's pretty much it. Unless, and this is still possible, it packs more under the hood punch than they've let on so far, this looks like an epic disaster to me. Would not surprise me if it has to be scrapped within 2-3 years, and I'm not joking. Which might not actually be a terrible thing for Nintendo, as if they sell it profitable day one and didn't spend too much R&D. it wont kill them, though it may cost a lot of consumer goodwill.
You basically listed just all the reasons why you don't like the machine and its concept personally. But a complete failure of epic proportions it is not, because its guaranteed to sell millions of units upon release on the Nintendo brand alone. Nintendo have never released a home console that didn't make money for them. Whilst just for example Sony has lost billions on the PS3 which was over spec'ed. I think the NY Times summarized it nicely, its really all about the end user experience and not just technology, which is why Apple and Nintendo are so successful with their fans. These are two companies which make great products.

All the mainstream press impressions have been positive about the Wii U and unanimous in praising it as something new in gaming:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/08/a...eils-its-video-game-successor-to-the-wii.html

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/...-the-wii-u-its-here-its-amazing-its-smart.ars

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/jun/07/wii-u-nintendo-games-console

Back