Fact: Nintendo to release HD console + controllers with built-in screen late 2012

I didn't know it had both shoulder buttons - my mistake. I doubt the ergonomics though. I'm also very uncertain about the screen's use in core games. Might be good to have a map/radar always available - often in games I'll switch between, and having one on hand not cluttering up the main display would be good. I can't see the touch interface being much good for the mainstream though. An FPS has all buttons and thumbs in action at once. Time taken looking down and moving one hand over to the screen and back is quite a loss in the midst of a battle. I guess a lot really comes down to how devs use the new options, but in this regard I'm pessimistic given lack on interesting and worthwhile implementations of other new and exciting possibilities like sixaxis and EyeToy.

You have a point as cross-platform developers will likely go for the common experience. They will need to entice the partners to do something special, or at least do it in their first parties to boot.

The Wii U pick up rate is unclear at the moment, but it already adds an extra porting effort for developers.

I didn't know it had both shoulder buttons - my mistake. I doubt the ergonomics though. I'm also very uncertain about the screen's use in core games. Might be good to have a map/radar always available - often in games I'll switch between, and having one on hand not cluttering up the main display would be good. I can't see the touch interface being much good for the mainstream though. An FPS has all buttons and thumbs in action at once. Time taken looking down and moving one hand over to the screen and back is quite a loss in the midst of a battle. I guess a lot really comes down to how devs use the new options, but in this regard I'm pessimistic given lack on interesting and worthwhile implementations of other new and exciting possibilities like sixaxis and EyeToy.

Supposedly it's a very comfortable and light controller, my only concern is that you can't click the analog sticks which is stupid.

For fps games and anything else fast paced, the touchscreen may not get much use but I can see the benefit in a call of duty game where you assign locations for kill streaks or choose your next class without pausing out of the game.

Supposedly it's a very comfortable and light controller, my only concern is that you can't click the analog sticks which is stupid.

For fps games and anything else fast paced, the touchscreen may not get much use but I can see the benefit in a call of duty game where you assign locations for kill streaks or choose your next class without pausing out of the game.

Yap, I think touchscreen is wonderful for that kind of tactical and strategic gameplay experience, especially for cross genra games (e.g., Starhawk is tower defense + shooting, Under Siege is RTS + shooting, etc.). Not to mention wacky ideas like Konami's LovePlus.

Need time to nurture the platform though. Developers may be too busy already.

I don't think it'd be like EyeToy because the response is quick and predictable. I don't think it'd be like SIXAXIS because the controller shape is right (It's a tablet !). IMHO of course.

Personally, I'm really going to wait for release. Talk of how comfortable it is when playing tech demos for a few minutes at E3 doesn't really convince me either way.

Personally, I'm really going to wait for release. Talk of how comfortable it is when playing tech demos for a few minutes at E3 doesn't really convince me either way.

FYI there are impressions from games as well, for instance Ghost Recon Online:

The last game in the Wii U demo area, Ghost Recon Online, caught me by surprise. Not only did I not expect to see it on the show floor, but I didn't expect it to be playable in any shape or form.

It was obviously in the very early stages of development: the graphics were a little unpolished and blurry, the game starts off with weird camera angles which was a bit of a distraction, and there were clipping issues. Trying to take cover was problematic for me two or three times; sprinting and then pressing A to slide is supposed to send the player sliding into cover but the slide was sometimes cut short, leaving me vulnerable.

The Wii U controller replaced any need for a radar on the TV and is now on the Wii U controller itself. There you can view the map as well as use certain elements like spy planes in real time without having to pause the game. If you think about it, you have the ability to control your soldier and the spy plane at the same exact time. You could also use the touch screen to switch between an aiming scope or laser sight and ammo clip sizes. The concern that I had was whether the unique button layout would do justice to a game like Ghost Recon. I walked away surprised. The two slide pads worked fine and though it definitely is a bit different than dual analog, it works equally well. The buttons rest comfortably below the right circle pad and it was never a hassle to go from circle pad to button. The triggers were also well laid out and very comfortable. If there was any gripe, it was with the other ZL and ZR triggers which were a bit of a stretch for my fingers, but nothing game-breaking.

In all it worked well, and showed that third party games have a great opportunity on the Wii U. The last thing I want to mention is that according to the Ubisoft rep, there are NO FRIEND CODES for the online play in Ghost Recon Online, possibly suggesting that Nintendo got rid of them with Wii U. Only time will tell with that one.

http://www.pixlbit.com/coverage?act...=143&t=tom_clancys_ghost_recon_online_preview

But of course the best thing is always to wait and try it for yourself.

I'm hoping Nintendo gives us an idea what the Wuu is capable of within a week. They haven't really shown off many exclusives and we have no concrete details of what the price will be. There's essentially nothing but the controller and a few demos to make anybody interested in this console right now, they really could have handled the reveal better.
It's over a year until release. And apparently from the developer comments we've heard so far the hardware isn't finalised yet.

Nintendo are secretive and I have a feeling they held back on plenty of information for e3 next year. It's way too early to reveal too much otherwise people lose interest after so long. For comparison they pretty much didn't say much about the Wii until just before release.

... choose your next class without pausing out of the game.
Considering you will not see what's on the TV screen while looking at the controller it doesn't really make much of a difference. Except in SP games you'll probably die when game wasn't paused during browsing menu/map/whatever.

Considering you will not see what's on the TV screen while looking at the controller it doesn't really make much of a difference. Except in SP games you'll probably die when game wasn't paused during browsing menu/map/whatever.

Muscle memory. You can remember that the choose class button is on a certain corner of the touch screen and then from there you can choose which class you want. You'll still have to take your eyes off the TV for a fraction of a second but it's still faster than pausing the game to choose a class.

Except that's not the pack-in, so devs can't develop for it, in the same way they won't support Move or Kinect in every game, nor EyeToy on PS2. Is it likely game boxes will carry an icon meaning, "requires Wii Remote, sold separately"? The games defining the system will be games that use the controller and screen. If they want an upgrade path, they should provide a Wii Remote. Then again, with full BC perhaps they are looking at Wii upgraders? They'd need to create Wii Remote based games like Wario World, but I can see that working.

We dont know if they will include or not a wii remote+nunchaku with Wii U, personally I am really expecting them to do. Would you need to by the sensor bar too, if that was the case? Being so cheap to produce, plus the 1 screen limit and asymmetrical gameplay, I really do expect them to cover all the bases. Till this moment I haven't thought otherwise:smile:.

EDIT: the controler does have a sensor bar too, I cant see why but anyway...

e3-2011-everything-we-know-about-wii-u-20110607025126239.jpg

Anyway support for both Move and Kinectic is coming, I wouldnt be surprised if it does become standard, many big profile games already have and the number is growing.

I wouldnt be surprised if they gave us a few more surprises along the way, like voice recognition (the controller does have a microphone) or other yet unknown features (eg a camera in the sensor bar for eye toy like, or even lower kinetic features).

Like I said please everyone is their new motto

I just would like them to have USB3 instead of USB2 :(

Last edited by a moderator:
EDIT: the controler does have a sensor bar too, I cant see why but anyway...

Interesting ! I wonder if it's related to the Golf demo trailer. They leave the pad on the floor. You can point the controller downwards at the ball, and then swing. The sensor bar on the pad would be able to tell if you're pointing at the golf ball right.

It could also mean that you can play Wii games on another TV I guess, while your console (and the original sensor bar) is in the living room ?

Screen on the controller may be too small for motion gaming though. Odd.

what is the data link between the controller and the console?
if it's indeed a thin client with real time performance (as with microsoft RemoteFX or VirtualGL) and there are four of them, it's quite a high bandwith needed.

if it's using 2.4GHz or regular wifi, then it will not work, too much interference, and/or spectrum contention from other devices and neighbors.
is it using 5GHz wifi? something else?
can you use it with a cable instead (this will need a lot charging)

what is the data link between the controller and the console?
if it's indeed a thin client with real time performance (as with microsoft RemoteFX or VirtualGL) and there are four of them, it's quite a high bandwith needed.

if it's using 2.4GHz or regular wifi, then it will not work, too much interference, and/or spectrum contention from other devices and neighbors.
is it using 5GHz wifi? something else?
can you use it with a cable instead (this will need a lot charging)

If Shigeru is researching dual screen controller use (Bring your Wii U controller to play on your friend's Wii U), then they should believe that there are room for 2. It probably depends on what you show on the 6" screen.

I think WiiU must be equipped with more than 512mb of RAM, to maintain parity in IQ with x360(512+EDRAM). + additional framebuffer for controller screen

Back