Fact: Nintendo to release HD console + controllers with built-in screen late 2012

I have a problem with the idea of core gamers wanting Wuu for the core games like COD, and that's the controller. Is Joe Gamer really going to be comfortable with that controller for COD?

Yeah, it seems like it wont be very good/comfortable for FPS, the epitome of the hardcore genre.

I wonder if some third party or Nintendo will make a optional traditional screen less controller for WiiU?

I have a problem with the idea of core gamers wanting Wuu for the core games like COD, and that's the controller. Is Joe Gamer really going to be comfortable with that controller for COD? We've recently been talking about natural interfaces and point-and-shoot controllers like Wii, Move, and Kinect. DS2 gave an idealised shooter setup, give or take a few changes in stick positions and such. But the basics of two thumb controller have been used for a decade in a comfortable setup that console shooters are confident with. The Wuu controller lacks the decent sized grips and dual shoulder buttons/triggers.

Where Wii very easily went after those wanting motion gaming, I still don't get the intended market for Wuu. It's not Wii upgraders who'd are losing their wand control. It's not PS360 owners who already ahve consoles running the same games and with appropriate controllers. It seems to be for a whole new wave of gaming interest from a market that's been latent, like Wii. I just don't see it happening myself, but I may very well be proven wrong.

You can, like with PS3 and Move, have the option to use Wii Remote too, everybody would be cool.

Good for everyone is their new motto.

BTW I hope they can keep it at 250$ these times around here arent good for high priced consoles:cry:...

And a early 2012 launch (march or something).

I have a problem with the idea of core gamers wanting Wuu for the core games like COD, and that's the controller. Is Joe Gamer really going to be comfortable with that controller for COD? We've recently been talking about natural interfaces and point-and-shoot controllers like Wii, Move, and Kinect. DS2 gave an idealised shooter setup, give or take a few changes in stick positions and such. But the basics of two thumb controller have been used for a decade in a comfortable setup that console shooters are confident with. The Wuu controller lacks the decent sized grips and dual shoulder buttons/triggers.

The WiiU controller has two shoulder buttons and two triggers. I don't see any problem at all with using it for any game a DS2 would be used for. Plus you have to consider the added benefits a screen could have for a game like COD even to a "Joe Gamer".

So they broke the pattern once with the Wii. And the 3DS price also broke a pattern on handhelds. I don't think you can use predictions based on patterns anymore -- especially since you don't really have an explanation for this price beyond 'this is how they usually do it'.

They broke their price for consoles by $50, now they're going to increase it by $150 the following generation? Again we're talking about likelihood here not certainties and IMO the most likely price is $299. It may be higher, but I don't see any reason to assume such a high price.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, it seems like it wont be very good/comfortable for FPS, the epitome of the hardcore genre.

I wonder if some third party or Nintendo will make a optional traditional screen less controller for WiiU?

You can use any Wii controller:

wii-classic-pro-controller.jpg

WIICL00.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
They broke their price for consoles by $50, now they're going to increase it by $150 the following generation? Again we're talking about likelyhood here not certainties and IMO the most likely price is $299, it may be higher. But to assume it will be $399 is just baseless IMO.

Maybe $399 is too much, but what about $350? $300 is $50 more than the 3DS launched for. We've heard a lot from Iwata about price-cuts and perceived value; they may not want to make their console seem too cheap when compared to their handheld. Maybe if the 3DS gets a cut, but I kind of doubt it: the system will be barely a year old if the WiiU releases in mid-2012.

Regarding launch date

GS Will Sonic Generations release for Wii U?

Sonic Generations is most likely not going to appear on the Wii U.
AP: The timing just doesn't work. Generations releases this November, and the Wii U is coming out next spring/summer. I think one of the things we don't have to do, or reduce where possible, is we don't want to port games. I think if there's gonna be a Sonic game for the Wii U it needs to be built from the ground up. It's more likely that it would be a separate standalone installment, or in conjunction with a multiplatform release in the future. But to bring out Generations on a platform six or eight months after we release PS3, 360, and 3DS probably won't be the best strategy.

http://e3.gamespot.com/story/631857...es-used-sales/?tag=updates;latest;all;title;4

Where Wii very easily went after those wanting motion gaming, I still don't get the intended market for Wuu. It's not Wii upgraders who'd are losing their wand control. It's not PS360 owners who already ahve consoles running the same games and with appropriate controllers. It seems to be for a whole new wave of gaming interest from a market that's been latent, like Wii. I just don't see it happening myself, but I may very well be proven wrong.

But aren't these problems the very ones that some of us spoke about when others were clamoring for the "WiiHD"? Where's the benefit to those current Wii owners who chose the Wii for its interface, despite its clear lack of technical horsepower? Now it can play games like COD? The customers for COD already have a PS360 (and in many cases, a Wii as well!)

Some of us struggled to envision how Nintendo would market it's Wii successor since the very beginning. The only way would be through some new "trick", and it looks like they've come up with one. Will it be as successful? Who knows.

But I think in order for it to be successful, it will have to offer yet another new experience. Just tacking on PS360 level technology was never going to sell a WiiHD.

You can use any Wii controller:

wii-classic-pro-controller.jpg

WIICL00.jpg

Ah, I was going to look for pictures to show people what a Wii "ciassical" controller look like. ^__^

I believe there are Wiimote shooters too. Taking in all the material Nintendo released, I am most impressed by the Wii U trailer so far. It shows quite a few neat ideas I hoped Sony had shown. It looks like an uphill fight to convince PS360 gamers. Now that the hardware cat is out of the bag, I think the follow up partnership, software/content and services announcements will be ever more critical.

I see many Gaffers trying to look for Wii online news. Perhaps this is the biggest missing piece ?

Just saw thses articles at GameSpot. Don't think know if they've been posted elsewhere:

E3 2011: Nintendo stock sinks post-Wii U unveil
By Tor Thorsen, GameSpot Jun 8, 2011 10:04 am PT211 comments
Investors wary of new console sell off game giant's stock on Tokyo Exchange, causing 5.63% dive; Iwata says console will likely cost more than $250.
http://e3.gamespot.com/story/6318221/e3-2011-nintendo-stock-sinks-post-wii-u-unveil

E3 2011: Nintendo stock continues post-Wii U decline
By Tor Thorsen, GameSpot Jun 9, 2011 12:05 pm PT57 comments
House of Mario's share price drops another 4.6% two days after new console is announced.
http://e3.gamespot.com/story/631869...tinues-post-wii-u-decline/?tag=topstory;title

I'm hoping Nintendo gives us an idea what the Wuu is capable of within a week. They haven't really shown off many exclusives and we have no concrete details of what the price will be. There's essentially nothing but the controller and a few demos to make anybody interested in this console right now, they really could have handled the reveal better.

Seriously they said release price? Wow Maybe once it's specs are buttoned down it's going to be more than I'm expecting.
So your standing in the game store and you are deciding what system to buy.You see two systems like the 360 4GB next to the WiiU. Both are selling the same games but one is priced at $180( 360 4GB next year this time?) and the WiiU is selling at $350.
What do you do?

I think anybody who is getting a console near the end of the generation is going to be more concerned with price and the number of games available. That's the only reason to wait and extra few years before buying a new console.

Just saw thses articles at GameSpot. Don't think know if they've been posted elsewhere:

Quite strange no, overall they had very positive reactions specialy in the press.

Yet a few days ago some "analysts" (the kid that is making a lot of fuss in Europe)said they expected Nintendotonnotsell as many consoles because they will focus more on the core gamer (you know the kind of gamer that buy many games and give them money by software:rolleyes:). I hate analysts... Anyway that may explain it, and make your hate for analysts grow :devilish:.

You can, like with PS3 and Move, have the option to use Wii Remote too, everybody would be cool.

Good for everyone is their new motto.
Except that's not the pack-in, so devs can't develop for it, in the same way they won't support Move or Kinect in every game, nor EyeToy on PS2. Is it likely game boxes will carry an icon meaning, "requires Wii Remote, sold separately"? The games defining the system will be games that use the controller and screen. If they want an upgrade path, they should provide a Wii Remote. Then again, with full BC perhaps they are looking at Wii upgraders? They'd need to create Wii Remote based games like Wario World, but I can see that working.

The WiiU controller has two shoulder buttons and two triggers. I don't see any problem at all with using it for any game a DS2 would be used for. Plus you have to consider the added benefits a screen could have for a game like COD even to a "Joe Gamer".
I didn't know it had both shoulder buttons - my mistake. I doubt the ergonomics though. I'm also very uncertain about the screen's use in core games. Might be good to have a map/radar always available - often in games I'll switch between, and having one on hand not cluttering up the main display would be good. I can't see the touch interface being much good for the mainstream though. An FPS has all buttons and thumbs in action at once. Time taken looking down and moving one hand over to the screen and back is quite a loss in the midst of a battle. I guess a lot really comes down to how devs use the new options, but in this regard I'm pessimistic given lack on interesting and worthwhile implementations of other new and exciting possibilities like sixaxis and EyeToy.

Back