Fact: Nintendo to release HD console + controllers with built-in screen late 2012

Nintendo have already said it'll sell for more then Wii's release price, so $299 seems like a minimum.

Seriously they said release price? Wow Maybe once it's specs are buttoned down it's going to be more than I'm expecting.
So your standing in the game store and you are deciding what system to buy.You see two systems like the 360 4GB next to the WiiU. Both are selling the same games but one is priced at $180( 360 4GB next year this time?) and the WiiU is selling at $350.
What do you do?

Definitely does not look like there is 1GB of RAM in the system, judging by that game anyway.

They dont even have final devkit (ubisoft confirmed that), I would wait before make any conclusion.

Anyway we already saw, very small "inexpensive" gaming laptops (much more powerful than current consoles and with a very different business model and much more stuff than what you need on a console), we saw the macminis and imacs with their obscene profit margins, I dont think that power/heat would be to much a problem specially if it is not as powerful as some of those and is designed to be low power.

Even a liano CPU would fill the power/heat/performance(+++) bill and be ok with it.

Both are selling the same games
What do you do?

The same games ?????????????????

Nintendo is doing XB games and XB will have a touch screen controller with third party support and third party exclusives. DAMN I missed those news.

Is Nintendo doing Halo4 too?

And be cost competitive?
I think for example if Sony or MS could have made their systems smaller at their respective power levels they would have. That box seems much smaller than 360S or PS3 slim. I can't see it being much more powerful even with new tech and being cost competitive with what MSony will likely be selling their systems for next year.

Isn't a slot loaded drive usually a lot smaller then a tray loaded drive though? (the DVD drive looks pretty massive inside the 360 Slim). Also Wii U won't have a HDD so that saves more space. I know the PS3 Slim has a slot loader, but it also has an internal power supply and Wii U will likely have an external one like Wii).

The same games ?????????????????

Nintendo is doing XB games and XB will have a touch screen controller with third party support and third party exclusives. DAMN I missed those news.

Is Nintendo doing Halo4 too?

Come on I hoped people would know what I mean. ;)
Same 3rd party games.So far we are seeing ports of current games. Will the extra controller stuff be enough to command and almost $200 premium over an Xbox 360 4GB.

Isn't a slot loaded drive usually a lot smaller then a tray loaded drive though? Also Wii U won't have a HDD so that saves more space (PS3 Slim has a slot loader I know, but it also has an internal power supply and Wii U will likely have an external one like Wii).

Right so remove the HDD and PSU to get smaller box,but does the WiiU apparent size in any way point to a substantially more powerful system?

Seriously they said release price? Wow Maybe once it's specs are buttoned down it's going to be more than I'm expecting.
So your standing in the game store and you are deciding what system to buy.You see two systems like the 360 4GB next to the WiiU. Both are selling the same games but one is priced at $180( 360 4GB next year this time?) and the WiiU is selling at $350.
What do you do?

They didn't announce a price, but they did say it'll be more then Wii, so its likely to be $299 (maybe $349, who knows).

I'd buy the system with the games and features I like most :)

Same 3rd party games.So far we are seeing ports of current games. Will the extra controller stuff be enough to command and almost $200 premium over an Xbox 360 4GB.

At least the somecrazystuff from outer space was Wii U exclusive?

At least the somecrazystuff from outer space was Wii U exclusive?

Ya that looked nice and fun. I hope I'm wrong in the end.
It feels a little off for me to be going from being one of the resident Nintendo apologists to one of the resident Nintendo critics. :D

That means anyone with a Wii U (NES6 would have been better :p) would get all cross platform games + Nintendo exclusives, and Wii U exclusives (using the new controller) games...
Isn't that what anyone would want ?

That means anyone with a Wii U (NES6 would have been better :p) would get all cross platform games + Nintendo exclusives, and Wii U exclusives (using the new controller) games...

But the other systems already also have their first and 3rd party exclusives plus cross platform games. So it seems to me on that front it's a wash. The other systems already have well established what we are assuming WiiU will have.
So the defining factor becomes the controller. Worth an almost $200 premium at launch? Even as a long time Nintendo fan,I'm not sure.

Is it worth potentially $250 or something like that (say, 399 Wii2 versus 150 4Gb 360 in a year)? Plus Xbox and PS3 have their own set of exclusives...

And as Ninzel pointed out, the back library of exclusives on the other systems will be greater. Anyone new to the market can get a 360 and play 3 gears games (I think you can get Gears 1+2+ triple pack DLC for $29 or something!), 3 Halo games, 2 Forza games, 2 Fable games, tons of other older games that wont be on Wii U (older Assassins Creed games, NFS games, games like Darksiders 1, the list is endless).

I mean I guess it just comes down to what you value. No doubt Nintendo exclusives are a powerful force themselves.

Right so remove the HDD and PSU to get smaller box,but does the WiiU apparent size in any way point to a substantially more powerful system?

The question is, when you take into account the much bigger DVD drive and HDD in 360S, does WiiU's casing actually point to it not being substantially more powerful? I don't have an answer, but its worth discussing :)

Is it worth potentially $250 or something like that (say, 399 Wii2 versus 150 4Gb 360 in a year)? Plus Xbox and PS3 have their own set of exclusives...

And as Ninzel pointed out, the back library of exclusives on the other systems will be greater. Anyone new to the market can get a 360 and play 3 gears games (I think you can get Gears 1+2+ triple pack DLC for $29 or something!), 3 Halo games, 2 Forza games, 2 Fable games, tons of other older games that wont be on Wii U (older Assassins Creed games, NFS games, games like Darksiders 1, the list is endless).

I mean I guess it just comes down to what you value. No doubt Nintendo exclusives are a powerful force themselves.

$399?, common, $299 is the most likely price by far.

Being that we don't really know anything about the third party exclusives, at this point the $100-200 premium over a 360 is mainly for first-party experiences. So... I don't think it's what anyone would want, no.

The question is, when you take into account the much bigger DVD drive and HDD in 360S, does WiiU's casing actually point to it not being substantially more powerful? I don't have an answer, but its worth discussing :)

I don't know either but to me it doesn't look hopeful. Someone posted the box size compared to the other systems and it's tiny in comparison. Closer to the size of the current Wii than the 360S or PS3 slim which could account for no HDD and external PSU. But does that leave any room for a much more powerful parts? I hope the hardware experts will chime in.

$399?, common, $299 is the most likely price by far.

Why do you think that? Genuinely curious. We have no idea of tech specs. Going by Rangers' speculation of a relatively low-powered system $299 is reasonable, but going by the people who think this is a major step up over the two other consoles, $399 isn't out of line.

I certainly doubt Nintendo will go back to the loss-leader days, making a profit on hardware has been really good to them, so I expect to see a nice margin for Nintendo. (Also, the 3DS sets some precedent that the price could be higher than people are used to.)

Why do you think that? Genuinely curious. We have no idea of tech specs. Going by Rangers' speculation of a relatively low-powered system $299 is reasonable, but going by the people who think this is a major step up over the two other consoles, $399 isn't out of line.

I certainly doubt Nintendo will go back to the loss-leader days, making a profit on hardware has been really good to them, so I expect to see a nice margin for Nintendo. (Also, the 3DS sets some precedent that the price could be higher than people are used to.)

Because Nintendo consoles have usually been $199, with Wii they took that to £249, but to assume they're suddenly going to jump to $399 is quite a leap IMO. Nothing is impossible, but the most likely price is $299 IMO.

I have a problem with the idea of core gamers wanting Wuu for the core games like COD, and that's the controller. Is Joe Gamer really going to be comfortable with that controller for COD? We've recently been talking about natural interfaces and point-and-shoot controllers like Wii, Move, and Kinect. DS2 gave an idealised shooter setup, give or take a few changes in stick positions and such. But the basics of two thumb controller have been used for a decade in a comfortable setup that console shooters are confident with. The Wuu controller lacks the decent sized grips and dual shoulder buttons/triggers.

Where Wii very easily went after those wanting motion gaming, I still don't get the intended market for Wuu. It's not Wii upgraders who'd are losing their wand control. It's not PS360 owners who already ahve consoles running the same games and with appropriate controllers. It seems to be for a whole new wave of gaming interest from a market that's been latent, like Wii. I just don't see it happening myself, but I may very well be proven wrong.

Because Nintendo consoles have usually been $199, with Wii they took that to £249, but to assume they're suddenly going to jump to $399 is quite a leap IMO. Nothing is impossible, but the most likely price is $299 IMO.

So they broke the pattern once with the Wii. And the 3DS price also broke a pattern on handhelds. I don't think you can use predictions based on patterns anymore -- especially since you don't really have an explanation for this price beyond 'this is how they usually do it'.

Back