Fact: Nintendo to release HD console + controllers with built-in screen late 2012

Some random thoughts on this reveal.
Seems like a case of too little too late. Instead of being a leading system,just playing catch up.
On one side catching to the HD systems,and on the other hand catching up to Apple.

Would be more interesting to me if it was coming out this year. By next year I suspect MSony will be revealing their next systems which will likely be much more powerfu even if they aren't as big a leap as usual.
Will I really interested in buying another current gen system next year? I doubt it.

How will developers respond is my main concern. By next year wont they have PS4,Xbox 720 kits in hand placing their focus forward?

Will this further extend this current gen? I'm ok with that but I think MS and Sony will capitalize on this early reveal and steal Nintys thunder by the time Wiiu launches.

I'm picturing myself standing in a game shop late next year wondering if should buy this new system, and thinking I already have PS3 with the same games(except for first parties) and wonder why bother? Because of this controller?

If the goal is to sway hardcore gamers with better 3rd party support,they haven't done enough.Most gamers already have a current gen system and many are already looking to next gen. If this system is just on par with PS360,why would a hardcore gamer spend the money to buy Wiiu if they can get the same games on the system they already own.

Everything this system is,can easily be countered by next year reveals from the others with minimal investment. Nintys just made Sony and MS's next gen plans easier.

ninzel, the problem is that we don't know how powerful the Wii U actually is, all we know is it's using "Radeon HD" and "IBM Power Watson-derived" CPU.
Sure, it could be just a tad above or just on level of PS3/XB360, but it might just aswell be a lot, lot faster, easily challenging even if not beating the PS4/XB720

If it's so fast, why was the Zelda demo not 1080p or 720p with MSAA? Why was the Japanese Garden demo underwhelming from a technical perspective?

Legit questions.

ninzel, the problem is that we don't know how powerful the Wii U actually is, all we know is it's using "Radeon HD" and "IBM Power Watson-derived" CPU.
Sure, it could be just a tad above or just on level of PS3/XB360, but it might just aswell be a lot, lot faster, easily challenging even if not beating the PS4/XB720

I don't doubt it will be at least a bit more powerful than PS360 but judging by the size I don't think it will be by much.
What I'm also judging by is the talk of many ports but not much exclusive original content.
I need to see more games before I change my original impressions.

What about mobile GPU parts? Can they fit something powerful into that box with mobile parts?

And be cost competitive?
I think for example if Sony or MS could have made their systems smaller at their respective power levels they would have. That box seems much smaller than 360S or PS3 slim. I can't see it being much more powerful even with new tech and being cost competitive with what MSony will likely be selling their systems for next year.

Finally a real game running on WiiU Ghost Recon and it looks good imo at least on par with ps360.....hope Iam not late..lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN7vwti5RyA

On par isn't exactly what I was hoping for.

Definitely does not look like there is 1GB of RAM in the system, judging by that game anyway.

It just occurred to me Nintendos strategy might be to enable easy porting between PS3, 360, and WiiU. As such anything above PS360 specs they would look at as superfluous. Why include 1GB of RAM instead of 512MB, even if it's cheap? To them, 1GB of RAM would just mean extra work for Ubisoft trying to fill it up, work not needed in the PS360 version. It would actually be a bad thing by that way of thinking.

BTW, Tottenz, this article: http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/series/3dcg/20110610_451799.html Apparently speculates the controller screen is 800X480 :p They say it could be a 6.2" screen that is used in GPS systems, that happen to have a res of 800X480...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I too get the vibe that Nintendo may just go for equivalence with PS360. This is still many times more powerful than Wii and will let them make a new generation of Wii games that are clearly superior to the old stuff. It will be cool and quiet at 40nm, ideal for a small enclosure. It will also let them keep the nice margins they like on their hardware. I'm expecting something customized with 160-320 ALUs and 4-8 ROPs.

Considering how far this console is away yet, I wonder if it will use 28nm.

Maybe a little extra RAM could just be used to unsure smooth transmission of extra data to controller and smoother frame rates overall. Who knows with the way Nintendo does thing it could have some atypical amount of RAM like 620 MB or 570MB or any other number.

And be cost competitive?
I think for example if Sony or MS could have made their systems smaller at their respective power levels they would have. That box seems much smaller than 360S or PS3 slim. I can't see it being much more powerful even with new tech and being cost competitive with what MSony will likely be selling their systems for next year.

I think it's possible with great engineering. If you look at iMacs they are super thin. The unit is pretty much just all LCD panel. They have a very low profile, are nearly silent, yet much more powerful than consoles. If you took out the harddisk and LCD it would be tiny.

Sure the screen will make possible completely new experiences, but the limited support for traditional controls will impact playability of core titles (especially shooters).

And I don't think the Wiimote and 'classic' Wii controllers do as good a job as a DS3/360 gamepad for playing COD, so no that won't help.

You'll be surprised ! Some Gaffers have already converted to PS Move for FPS. ^_^

GuestLV said:
Ubisoft noted that the Wii U controller’s double joysticks, gyro sensors, and accelerometer will work together to redefine the way you play shooters.

I think there are some interesting things they can do in clan games and TPS shooters. The pad would be great for coordinating attacks and tracking teamwork. I hope Sony implement this for Vita and PS Suite tablets too.

EDIT: I think for recent PSN and Move games that cross genra (e.g., RTS + FPS), Wii U may add more depth and breadth to the mix.

I think it's possible with great engineering. If you look at iMacs they are super thin. The unit is pretty much just all LCD panel. They have a very low profile, are nearly silent, yet much more powerful than consoles. If you took out the harddisk and LCD it would be tiny.

Understood I have a Mac Mini and a Macbook so I think it's clear what's possible in small form factor,but at what cost $$. Mini's sell for about $600 and Imacs are about $1100.
Now add in that controller cost.
In Reggies interview he didn't say the WiiU would necessarily be cost competitive but emphasized it would be value competitive,but they still are competing with PS360 pricing.

Yeah so what can sell at $200, make Nintendo's requisite hardware profit, and be quiet in a small form factor? A Mobility 68xx does not fit.

How about 64xxM with northbridge hardware integrated and a Xenon clone?

I don't know if that's a great example. My mother has an iMac, the case is usually hot to the touch.

Yeah so what can sell at $200, make Nintendo's requisite hardware profit, and be quiet in a small form factor? A Mobility 68xx does not fit.

Well I'm going to predict a bit higher. After all this is the company that managed to sell millions of Wii at the same price as the 360 arcade. I think Nintendo has the balls and the marketing ability to command a premium. They won't sell it as "next-gen" but they will probably use terms like "next step" or " next evolution" in gaming.
So with all "boxes checked" plus a new controller I could easily see $250 maybe even $300.
The earlier predictions of $350-400 seem way out of line now.
Unless in the coming year they start to show games that are leaps above PS360.

Nintendo have already said it'll sell for more than Wii's release price, so $299 seems like a minimum.

On the RAM, I serioiusly doubt its only 512MB as some of you are suggesting, most rumours pointed to more than that and Ubisoft commented today on the systems "large memory capacity" being a particularly good feature.

It's not going to be $200, someone from Nintendo said it'll be more expensive than Wii (okay, he didn't specify Wii at launch price, but that's a given, IMO)

On par isn't exactly what I was hoping for.

Definitely does not look like there is 1GB of RAM in the system, judging by that game anyway.

It just occurred to me Nintendos strategy might be to enable easy porting between PS3, 360, and WiiU. As such anything above PS360 specs they would look at as superfluous. Why include 1GB of RAM instead of 512MB, even if it's cheap? To them, 1GB of RAM would just mean extra work for Ubisoft trying to fill it up, work not needed in the PS360 version. It would actually be a bad thing by that way of thinking.

BTW, Tottenz, this article: http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/series/3dcg/20110610_451799.html Apparently speculates the controller screen is 800X480 :p They say it could be a 6.2" screen that is used in GPS systems, that happen to have a res of 800X480...

I agree I was looking for something significantly more powerful with the ability to handle better looking multiplat games and also their own first party stuff.

Back