Fact: Nintendo to release HD console + controllers with built-in screen late 2012

We know it shares same CPU family with Watson, and at least in FLOPS, even though theoretical, even single core in such CPU (=4 threads) at 3GHz (IIRC) is supposed to smash 3.2GHz Cell in PS3.
Cell as in the PPU or SPE?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OHUwDShrD4

Extended version of the bird pond video, this was not shown at the press conference. It's just an off-screen video but it still looks good.

Thanks for that :D

As nice as the tech demo looks (including those nice wet surfaces), the graphics don't look like anything beyond an RV730 or Redwood, either of which is powerful enough to do 360 level graphics at 1080p. I still can't help but think that Nintendo still probably went beyond that, maybe to a Turks GPU or even RV740, or possibly Juniper, since Reggie kept mentioning the system as being 1080p and that the tech demo is on early dev kits. Perhaps Ninty is using a weaker/different GPU in the devkits if the actual GPU in the Wii U isn't ready for production and proper dev machines? I just can't help but feel RV740 or Juniper is pretty much a necessity for Ninty if they hope to keep the system graphically relevant when the PS4 and next Xbox to come out. Ninty needs to be on board with 1080p rendering with 2x MSAA standard (at least). Those GPUs will afford Ninty that with very high graphics horsepower in relevance to the PS3 and 360.

Last edited by a moderator:
how many tablet controller can be connected to the console?
all the demo use one tablet and 3 wiimote, or only one tablet

For all the people "not impressed" by the Garden demo, just remember the following:

- It is being rendered in both the 1080p HDTV and the 960*540 controller, at the same time. That's ~2.6MPixels, whereas the X360 and PS3 usually do ~0,9Mpixels

- All the videos we've seen in youtube so far are either manually recorded by cellphones (720p tops. with questionable quality) or a download of the stream that was originally distributed by E3, which was heavily compressed from the start.

So even it it looks like it can do the same visuals as X360 and PS3 to some people (I've never seen that level of geometry, specially during the sakura blossoming part), it's rendering at a 3 times higher resolution.

Sure, it's not a "disruption-level" graphics upgrade from the other two consoles, but it's a lot better and a good fit for a "half-generation" update.
It might even hold off "well-enough" against PS4 and X720 if it scales down to single-monitor 720p mode (not having to lose AAA 3rd parties all over again), at least until 2016-17 when the successor to WiiU comes to market.

only one it appears.
Btw i don't recall thet the rebirth demo has ever been matched by final hardware,has it ?

That´s because they want a HD6970 level graphics to compete with PS4/X720 in the size of a MALI gpu and AMD is going crazy trying to do so.

It looks like from the demos it barely competes with Xbox 360/PS3. I would not worry about next gen consoles.

only one it appears.
Btw i don't recall thet the rebirth demo has ever been matched by final hardware,has it ?

ok, but this tablet is so confusing...
looks like it's half of everything, and can't imagine it's real use

You mean other than Zelda?

Well, yes. I don't think the Zelda demo shows the potential of the controller. As I've been saying, beaming the same screen contents both the TV and the controller is pointless. How the secondary screen can enhance motion control--that's interesting. The presentation briefly showed the screen-controller mounted as a scope on a gun peripheral, but the "game" where it was employed looked like a joke. Shield Pose also looks nothing like what serious gamers would buy.

- It is being rendered in both the 1080p HDTV and the 960*540 controller, at the same time. That's ~2.6MPixels, whereas the X360 and PS3 usually do ~0,9Mpixels

We dont know the demo is 1080P, so far all Wii U demos that have been pixel counted are 720P not 1080P. If it is 720p, we can knock off 1.1m pixels from your estimation. More if the controller is say, 800X480. Or being rendered in a even lower res and then upscaled (I'm sure tricks like this will make their way to the system very quickly)

We dont officially know the res of the controller, as far as I know (correct me if I'm wrong).

Is it really rendering anything twice? Or is it like onlive, just streaming the video from the main display?

I am confused how this would work, it's the same thing on both screens, so rendering it twice would be foolish.

Yes, sorry, forgot to specify that, I'm not sure wether there is even SP FLOPS data available

Both apparently, of course I can't confirm any of this, just quoting what I read from another board.
Not surprising, considering original Cell's DP float performance well heavily cut back. 1/10th SP performance IIRC. And DP isn't really needed for console games as PS3 proves. I'm curious about CPU eDRAM and have IBM work that, if they have any lessons learnt from Cell or if it's all coming from their server processor experience?

It looks like from the demos it barely competes with Xbox 360/PS3. I would not worry about next gen consoles.
Your getting quite trollish here. We haven't much real footage and haven't any decent analysis, as well as the console demoing first-gen alpha code because Nintendo aren't showing 'concept visualisations'. Looking at the real-time content of XB360's demo's, it wasn't a patch on what the hardware is really capable of, and you'd expect the same with realtime footage of Wuu* at this point. To prevent silly arguments about whether Wuu* is this-gen quality or better, let's all hold off until we have some more concrete reference points - either tech specs or proper investigations on clean grabs and footage from content known to be making reasonable use of the hardware.

*From this point on I will refer to Wii U as Wuu, because Wii U is a stupid, awkward name. If you include the sonic break between Wii and U, you have an uncomfortable three-vowel vocalisation, and if you compress it into a single sound, weeooo, it sounds like a police siren. So I'm sticking with Wuu (pronounced 'woo', visually mimicking 'Wii') and won't be budged!

Well, yes. I don't think the Zelda demo shows the potential of the controller. As I've been saying, beaming the same screen contents both the TV and the controller is pointless. How the secondary screen can enhance motion control--that's interesting. The presentation briefly showed the screen-controller mounted as a scope on a gun peripheral, but the "game" where it was employed looked like a joke. Shield Pose also looks nothing like what serious gamers would buy.
What puzzles me is that how on earth is one supposed to use the Wiimote with the Zelda game at the same time as the new controller with the screen. Or is the Wii U Zelda not using motion controls for sword/shield at all?

Oh I agree there's a lot of upside to the demos, common sense there. However we have plenty of people using those same "early, incomplete" demos to state Wii2 is doing things far above Ps360. In my view, they do not look like anything greatly above 360 level if at all.

If we're going to wait for the full concrete view (which frankly will never come until the system is essentially here, and even then it will be arguable EG, first gen Xbox 360 titles, but we will certainly speculate ad infinitum until then based on incomplete info) to cast aspersions, then why should we not to throw accolades?

From what I'm hearing the tablet will not be sold. So I assume the tablet might not able to handshake with different Wii U unit. It might be paired permanently to the unit it comes with. This is opposite to the earlier rumour where it supposed to be able to pair upto four tablet controllers. I guess Nintendo didn't have enough GPU power to render two 1080p screens that they need to do if it was to be paired with 4 tablet controllers + a 1080p screen.

I am really curious what else they'll bundle with Wii U. Will Wiimote be bundle or extra I wonder.

From what demos? The 3rd parties? They were XB360/PS3 demos, only 1st party stuff was Wii U.

And how have they counted 720p? From the crappy quality streams or mobile offscreen captures?

What puzzles me is that how on earth is one supposed to use the Wiimote with the Zelda game at the same time as the new controller with the screen. Or is the Wii U Zelda not using motion controls for sword/shield at all?

The new controller has motion controls too

Back