Fact: Nintendo to release HD console + controllers with built-in screen late 2012

Motion capture of hands and fingers in particular is still an unresolved issue for many reasons, especially with any optical method. Even the magnetic and mechanical approaches aren't good enough, only full gloves are working to some extent and even those are only okay if the virtual hand is an exact copy of the user's.
For full tracking, but we've seen, even on Kinect, broad hand tracking so you know when the fingers are open or closed or if (in some close-camera setups) if a particular sign is being made. A next-gen Kinect should be able to see enough of the hand to differentiate between major hand states enough to work naturally in a game. certainly your typical magic/Jedi game would palms forward, fingers spread/closed, fist, claw, etc. could be detected. Anything wanting fine finger tracking is going to want a controller to actually touch IMO.

And again, seems such a card would require more CPU oomph as well, which makes a Xenon based CPU seem underpowered, doesnt really add up.

I don't think they literally mean that the CPU is Xenon based. But rather that it is a tri-core PPC configuration like the Xenon.

I think we can count on everything being somewhat customized as usual. I'm wondering if they'll stick with the EDRAM console graphics "paradigm". How much would 360 need for 1080p to be comfortable?

I think we can count on everything being somewhat customized as usual. I'm wondering if they'll stick with the EDRAM console graphics "paradigm". How much would 360 need for 1080p to be comfortable?

32MB should be enough to allow for 1080p + 2xaa

May 17 and still no hard new tech info/real idea of this machines power *lesigh*

Maybe we really wont know anything except to look at Nintendo first party games at E3? (and those, might not push the hardware at all given the simple nature of say, a mario. Then again, they might look simply incredible, revealing Wii2's beastly nature :D

We've all been lulled to sleep by the lack of anything but console ports on PC for 6 years now. We're all going to be blown away by the next console gen, trust me.

Has this been posted yet seems like a leaked video of a private developer presentation.
Aah heard it is fake.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder what the chances are of them building essentially another 720p-class machine, especially if they stick with eDRAM. They could certainly still vastly outperform 360, but IMO 720p is enough resolution. Throw on some AA instead of more resolution maybe.

For full tracking, but we've seen, even on Kinect, broad hand tracking so you know when the fingers are open or closed or if (in some close-camera setups) if a particular sign is being made. A next-gen Kinect should be able to see enough of the hand to differentiate between major hand states enough to work naturally in a game. certainly your typical magic/Jedi game would palms forward, fingers spread/closed, fist, claw, etc. could be detected. Anything wanting fine finger tracking is going to want a controller to actually touch IMO.

In the Youtube videos that I've seen, finger tracking with the Kinect seems to work, but the user has to keep his hand facing the camera. Doing so is neither comfortable or natural. A demo at Microsoft Research where they have the cameras point directly upward and downward at the user's hands seems to be a more comfortable arrangement. I can't imagine though, how you can turn that into a consumer product.

The big issue is blind spots. A higher resolution camera won't help when it doesn't have a clear line of sight to your hands and fingers. I wonder if having a large array of simple cameras would help. I'm thinking futuristic here. Say ten years from now, 60"+ television sets become common-place. If there're arrays of cameras along the four sides of the screen, can they pick up enough stereoscopic information to determine precisely where your hand is? The ideal scenario is where the resolution is high enough such that the computer can infer from the position of your eyeballs and you finger tip what you're pointing at.

I think it's real. Matches the other leaked images anyway.

I'm hoping it's fake. I'll be so disappointed if Project Cafe really turns out to be controllers with a built-in screen. I don't recall reading this thread of anyone coming up with a valid reason to put a screen there. HUD is progress. Dumping the info into a separate screen that makes you take your eyes off the action is stupid.

I'm hoping it's fake. I'll be so disappointed if Project Cafe really turns out to be controllers with a built-in screen. I don't recall reading this thread of anyone coming up with a valid reason to put a screen there. HUD is progress. Dumping the info into a separate screen that makes you take your eyes off the action is stupid.

To quote someone from another board to similar point that you're making:
"just like having dashboard on your card and having to watch your speedmeter is stupid?"

"just like having dashboard on your card and having to watch your speedmeter is stupid?"
terrible analogy

dashboard position is completely different, unless you hold your controller up in the air in front of you when you play (does anyone do that?)...

I don't know what happened, but at the beginning of last decade, car-makers were adding projected speedometers to their luxury lines. I'm guessing the difficulty of projecting legible characters onto the windshield put an end to that trend.

It's not entirely a valid comparison in any event, as people typically rest their arms on their lap when they use a gamepad. Your eyes are going to be complete off the TV screen when you look down, whereas a glance at the speedometer involves only changing your focus.

Back